Sox expected to add 4 to 40 man roster

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
So in conclusion, the Tigers had a bad year, the Sox had a good year, and we still finished 3 games back. The Sox are probably losing key players from their starting line up, while the Tigers are adding at least Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez. I am thinking the odds are pretty small. Like in the 5 to 10% range.

It'll be interesting to see how the Detroit pitching staff holds up after another long season on their arms.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Yeah, how'd that work out?

We remained in first place until the final few weeks of the season, while you told us for nearly a year we had no chance to win the division. Just because we didn't ultimately win the division, doesn't mean we couldn't have. We were right there the entire season and my point still stands.

The off-season has barely started and people can't wait to rule us out for next year already. Welcome to Soxtalk I guess! Why don't we wait and see what Hahn does before we hand the Tigers the 2013 AL Central Champions trophy. The Tigers have added a 37 year old OF and will get back a 34 year old DH coming off a nasty knee injury. IMO, Hunter & Martinez could help them or hurt them. It wouldn't be the first time baseball players have suddenly fallen off a cliff at those ages.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
We remained in first place until the final few weeks of the season, while you told us for nearly a year we had no chance to win the division. Just because we didn't ultimately win the division, doesn't mean we couldn't have. We were right there the entire season and my point still stands.

The off-season has barely started and people can't wait to rule us out for next year already. Welcome to Soxtalk I guess! Why don't we wait and see what Hahn does before we hand the Tigers the 2013 AL Central Champions trophy. The Tigers have added a 37 year old OF and will get back a 34 year old DH coming off a nasty knee injury. IMO, Hunter & Martinez could help them or hurt them. It wouldn't be the first time baseball players have suddenly fallen off a cliff at those ages.

Its reality. The core of the Tigers is way better than ours. They are a bigger payroll team, playing in a full ballpark, with an owner who doesn't care about profits. Sure the Sox could win next year, but the reality is that as it stands now, the Tigers are the huge favorites.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Its reality. The core of the Tigers is way better than ours. They are a bigger payroll team, playing in a full ballpark, with an owner who doesn't care about profits. Sure the Sox could win next year, but the reality is that as it stands now, the Tigers are the huge favorites.

As it stands, without a legitimate 3B, yes I definitely agree they're the clear favorites. As I said though, we have no idea what Hahn is planning and what he'll be able to accomplish this offseason. A couple big moves could sway things IMO.

Also, I don't think Hunter & Martinez are automatic diffrence makers next year and the Tigers pitching staff could feel the effects of an extended playoff run. And let's never forgot how bad the Tigers' defense is. That won't be changing anytime soon and was the biggest reason for our team being able to compete with them last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
So in conclusion, the Tigers had a bad year, the Sox had a good year, and we still finished 3 games back. The Sox are probably losing key players from their starting line up, while the Tigers are adding at least Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez. I am thinking the odds are pretty small. Like in the 5 to 10% range.

I think it's a bit higher than that, but I mostly agree with you. My point isn't that the Sox are likely to win, but rather that it's definitely plausible. And it happened this year -- we contended. If you are in the hunt, you can pull it out. That's exactly what the Tigers did. They stayed in the hunt and they pulled it out. If the Sox are in a similar position in August next year, that's a successful season because we'll have a shot at the end.

Don't forget that a LOT of things broke right for the Tigers at the end of the year. Early in the year, when they weren't winning, they weren't flush with bad luck or anything, their flaws were just showing. Scherzer is good, but he outpitched Verlander for two months before starting to have arm problems. It's just as likely that he goes down for Tommy John in May as it is that he outpitches Verlander for half the season. Hunter had a great season this years that is absolutely flush with dangerous signs of regression -- there's just as good a chance he hits an age wall as there is that he repeats this season. Victor Martinez is old and his knees are wrecked -- there's just as good a chance his power is gone for good as there is that he comes back as the same player that they signed.

You and I agree that the Tigers are favorites, but there is a very realistic possibility that things break our way and we end up in the division hunt. And if we are in the division hunt, we have a realistic chance at the playoffs.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Their back end of the rotation isn't too shabby either. Plus their pitching coach is pretty good.

I can't predict that they will have injuries, but I wouldn't be shocked if they lose an arm or two just from all the innings over the past 2 seasons.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
As it stands, without a legitimate 3B, yes I definitely agree they're the clear favorites. As I said though, we have no idea what Hahn is planning and what he'll be able to accomplish this offseason. A couple big moves could sway things IMO.

Also, I don't think Hunter & Martinez are automatic diffrence makers next year and the Tigers pitching staff could feel the effects of an extended playoff run. And let's never forgot how bad the Tigers' defense is. That won't be changing anytime soon and was the biggest reason for our team being able to compete with them last year.

The Tigers are already ahead of us. They are adding key pieces, while we finished behind them, and are losing pieces. It is just as easy to say that it isn't a given that guys like Rios, Peavy, and Sale can duplicate their numbers again. Odds are that AJ's offense will also be gone next year. Konerko is a year older, and at best was hurt for a good chunk of last year, as were De Aza and Dunn. The Sox have way more "if"s than the Tigers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
It is pretty easy to say the same thing about Sale, Quintana, and Peavy.

Absolutely true, but I was referring only to Detroit because of their long seasons. The White Sox durability is more because of young arms that haven't been through the rigors.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Absolutely true, but I was referring only to Detroit because of their long seasons. The White Sox durability is more because of young arms that haven't been through the rigors.

And Jake's arm could fall off at any moment. He was 100 innings over anything he has thrown since 2007.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
No matter what they say, they aren't going to compete next year.

Should probably go ahead and cancel the 2013 season.

Why would you say there's no way they can compete? Detroit certainly looks better right now, but the Sox will add a few pieces. Even if the Tigers still look better on paper (which I'm sure they will), anything can happen.

To go into a season saying there's no chance, well we should just become Royals fans. Otherwise, don't watch the games, don't expect anything, and don't complain. I'm looking forward to what moves the Sox will make, and I'm looking forward to next season. There's no doubt it'll be an uphill battle with Detroit, but it's a long season, and you never know what might happen.

With the pitching staff this team has... as long as they can find SOME way to get at least similar production out of 3B, whether by trade or signing... I see no way this team won't compete for the ALC crown in 2013. As long as, of course, they are relatively healthy.

Will they beat out DET? Probably not, but stranger things happen every season. The Sox will be in the hunt.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:23 AM)
Should probably go ahead and cancel the 2013 season.

Why would you say there's no way they can compete? Detroit certainly looks better right now, but the Sox will add a few pieces. Even if the Tigers still look better on paper (which I'm sure they will), anything can happen.

To go into a season saying there's no chance, well we should just become Royals fans. Otherwise, don't watch the games, don't expect anything, and don't complain. I'm looking forward to what moves the Sox will make, and I'm looking forward to next season. There's no doubt it'll be an uphill battle with Detroit, but it's a long season, and you never know what might happen.

Unlike some, I don't need a 95 win team to enjoy baseball season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
Unlike some, I don't need a 95 win team to enjoy baseball season.

Who said anything about a 95 win season? I'm not saying Detroit isn't the favorite. As a matter of fact, I would assume many of us would grudgingly pick the Tigers to win the division. But, if the Sox have a good year and win 88-90 games, they will more than likely "be in it" all season.

I'm just saying, it's only November and you're already writing off the season. If you can enjoy White Sox baseball from game 1 to game 162 knowing they have no chance, more power to you. I want to believe that the Sox will have a chance, and I think they will especially if a few moves are made.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Who said anything about a 95 win season? I'm not saying Detroit isn't the favorite. As a matter of fact, I would assume many of us would grudgingly pick the Tigers to win the division. But, if the Sox have a good year and win 88-90 games, they will more than likely "be in it" all season.

I'm just saying, it's only November and you're already writing off the season. If you can enjoy White Sox baseball from game 1 to game 162 knowing they have no chance, more power to you. I want to believe that the Sox will have a chance, and I think they will especially if a few moves are made.

I think the Tigers will win 95 or more games, so I think that is what it would take to win. Realistically, I don't see this team competing, and the don't have the resources to add the players that could change that. I'm not sure what everyone is so freaked out about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
I think the Tigers will win 95 or more games, so I think that is what it would take to win. Realistically, I don't see this team competing, and the don't have the resources to add the players that could change that. I'm not sure what everyone is so freaked out about.

On paper, yes the Tigers have the team to win 95 games. But, on paper they looked very good last year, too. They won the division, but only because the Sox choked at the end. I don't think the Tigers will win 95+ games. I'm only basing that on history and a gut feeling. However, whoever wins the division will win more than 90 games. I think the Tigers and Sox will both be in the hunt.

DET has to sort out a lot of issues. Their closer situation, although they have some good internal candidates in Villarreal and Alburquerque, to name a few.

Dotel and Benoit were also quite shaky down the stretch, as we all know, bullpens are made to implode from year to year, although expecting the disaster they had with Valverde to repeat itself is about the same as expecting 49/49 again, like 2011.

They've got lots of guys like Young, Boesch and Berry that are more like 4th outfielders than starters, which is obviously why they traded for Hunter, not to mention his leadership abilities.

Then again, Young is one of those guys who could potentially go on another extended run like he did in the playoffs or in 2010 with the Twins.

They should really move Peralta off SS. Infante was horrible at 2B, too. That's a HUGE Achilles' heel, their middle infield.

Avila playing like an average catcher and not looking like a sure-fire All-Star also hurt them a LOT.

Yes, Verlander and Scherzer could get hurt. But so could Sale or Peavy or Floyd or any number of Sox pitchers.

Basically, with Fister, Porcello and Smyly, they have a better rotation than us, and that's not ruling out their bringing back Anibal Sanchez (who was great for them after a slow start) or signing a FA pitcher, like Greinke.

They probably WON'T go that route, but imagine if they did? We can't even dream of signing an impact player at this point....unfortunately any changes will have to come via the trade route.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
DET has to sort out a lot of issues. Their closer situation, although they have some good internal candidates in Villarreal and Alburquerque, to name a few.

Dotel and Benoit were also quite shaky down the stretch, as we all know, bullpens are made to implode from year to year, although expecting the disaster they had with Valverde to repeat itself is about the same as expecting 49/49 again, like 2011.

They've got lots of guys like Young, Boesch and Berry that are more like 4th outfielders than starters, which is obviously why they traded for Hunter, not to mention his leadership abilities.

Then again, Young is one of those guys who could potentially go on another extended run like he did in the playoffs or in 2010 with the Twins.

They should really move Peralta off SS. Infante was horrible at 2B, too. That's a HUGE Achilles' heel, their middle infield.

Avila playing like an average catcher and not looking like a sure-fire All-Star also hurt them a LOT.

Yes, Verlander and Scherzer could get hurt. But so could Sale or Peavy or Floyd or any number of Sox pitchers.

Basically, with Fister, Porcello and Smyly, they have a better rotation than us, and that's not ruling out their bringing back Anibal Sanchez (who was great for them after a slow start) or signing a FA pitcher, like Greinke.

They probably WON'T go that route, but imagine if they did? We can't even dream of signing an impact player at this point....unfortunately any changes will have to come via the trade route.

Young is a FA and after Hunter was signed it made him less likely to return. I have read they plan on moving on

Wise made the 40-man roster 40. Which might be a concern, but... Anthony Carter and Deunte Heath are both on there right now. So is Hector Gimenez. Dan Johnson is also still listed, but is a free agent I believe. So there is room to maneuver. I don't see anything from Carter to make it worth keeping him there if something good comes along.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
Wise made the 40-man roster 40. Which might be a concern, but... Anthony Carter and Deunte Heath are both on there right now. So is Hector Gimenez. Dan Johnson is also still listed, but is a free agent I believe. So there is room to maneuver. I don't see anything from Carter to make it worth keeping him there if something good comes along.

Humber is probably gone as well. He would fall into the million dollar range to keep around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Humber is probably gone as well. He would fall into the million dollar range to keep around.

True, forgot about him too. Point is, even though the 40-man is theoretically full, there are a number of guys who could be dropped at a moment's notice with no effect on the team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
True, forgot about him too. Point is, even though the 40-man is theoretically full, there are a number of guys who could be dropped at a moment's notice with no effect on the team.

(and you may as well have the 40 man roster completely full when the rule 5 draft happens if you're not planning to select anyone).