Sox re-sign DeWayne Wise

LittleHurt05

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
Kind of an odd move, unless there are others coming soon. Why not JorDanks for your 4th OF? Saves you 200k or so, and maybe he actually lives up to potential. His ceiling is higher than Wise, and he's under cheap control for a few more years.

Let me ask you this, what has JorDanks done that tells you his ceiling is higher? Danks's career minor league OPS is .746, Wise's is .726. I think the org wants depth and depth that has shown they can perform at the MLB level. Thats all. 700k is not a large number.

Kind of an odd move, unless there are others coming soon. Why not JorDanks for your 4th OF? Saves you 200k or so, and maybe he actually lives up to potential. His ceiling is higher than Wise, and he's under cheap control for a few more years.

The 200K is not significant, and having Wise allows you to stash Danks at AAA in case of emergency.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

Wise is a better player almost all around and he gives away far fewer ABs. The $200K is inconsequential and there's no way he's reaching his potential playing irregularly. His ceiling, as a bench player, is far lower, and I'd argue that his ceiling as of this moment, in a 500-600 AB season, is still lower than Wise's.

Control doesn't matter either. Every ST these guys are available in trade for nothing more than cash considerations.

Jordan IMO is going to be on the short list of players whom the Sox will outright to Charlotte if/when they need the extra roster spot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Let me ask you this, what has JorDanks done that tells you his ceiling is higher? Danks's career minor league OPS is .746, Wise's is .726. I think the org wants depth and depth that has shown they can perform at the MLB level. Thats all. 700k is not a large number.

Yeah, Jordan Danks is 26 years old and has nothing to show he is better than Wise nor has he shown he is anything more than a reserve OF. Wise is a better hitter for average, power and better on the basepaths. Sure, Danks is probably better in the field, but Wise is no slouch. For 200K extra, Wise is a much better option.

And the fact that Danks went unclaimed during the Rule V Draft last year should tell you something about his game and what every other MLB team thinks of it.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
The 200K is not significant, and having Wise allows you to stash Danks at AAA in case of emergency.

I think some of you are confusing upside with actual results. Clearly, 2012 Wise is a better hitter than 2012 JorDanks.

However... Danks has at times shown much more talent, and he's better defensively at this point (and that gap will widen over years). His ceiling is much higher. That doesn't mean for sure that he reaches that ceiling, of course. What I'm saying is, for your 4th OF, when you have payroll issues, sticking with the younger guy with more potential, better defense, and for cheaper... is better, IMO, than a sure-fire mediocre bat for 200k more. I'd rather roll the dice with Danks, even though it may not work out. That's all I'm saying.

In any case, this is a small deal and a small argument in the grand scheme of things.

But I do feel like it may indicate something bigger looming. Having a more veteran guy like Wise may be more important if your outfield gets younger or less experienced. Or less skilled defensively. Through a trade or two.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I think some of you are confusing upside with actual results. Clearly, 2012 Wise is a better hitter than 2012 JorDanks.

However... Danks has at times shown much more talent, and he's better defensively at this point (and that gap will widen over years). His ceiling is much higher. That doesn't mean for sure that he reaches that ceiling, of course. What I'm saying is, for your 4th OF, when you have payroll issues, sticking with the younger guy with more potential, better defense, and for cheaper... is better, IMO, than a sure-fire mediocre bat for 200k more. I'd rather roll the dice with Danks, even though it may not work out. That's all I'm saying.

Ceiling ceiling ceiling, based on what exactly? His minor league numbers? Very similar to Wise's and Wise has shown MLB results. SHow me why his ceiling is so much higher. For 200k wouldnt you want the guy that can actually hit?

Remember Danks derping vs the Dodgers?

Jordan%20Danks%20Chicago%20White%20Sox%2

vs

Remember Wise making the greatest catch in White Sox history?

the_catch_wise_758978a.jpg

I know it is unfair to compare Wise's greatest moment vs probably the worst moment of JD's career so far. However, is JD's defense really that much better?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Ceiling ceiling ceiling, based on what exactly? His minor league numbers? Very similar to Wise's and Wise has shown MLB results. SHow me why his ceiling is so much higher. For 200k wouldnt you want the guy that can actually hit?

Based on what? There were reasons the guy was considered a top-2 round talent, and the Sox got him in the 7th as an overslot. Not to mention, Wise has inflated his minor league numbers at the AA and AAA levels because he's gotten a chance to play AAA in parts of TEN SEASONS. Looking at the levels they actually played a similar number of games at, Danks far out-hit Wise. Danks put up pretty good numbers in his last year in AAA, his third - not tenth.

And those are numbers. Tools-wise, again, Danks was drafted with a very high ceiling, but also the high bust potential. And I'm saying, I prefer that - on this team as constructed - to a guy like Wise. Wise will do what he does - post a .700-ish OPS, play good defense on the corners and passable defense in center. Danks will provide better defense and speed, and could post a .550 OPS, or a .800 OPS.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Remember Danks derping vs the Dodgers?

Jordan%20Danks%20Chicago%20White%20Sox%2

vs

Remember Wise making the greatest catch in White Sox history?

the_catch_wise_758978a.jpg

I know it is unfair to compare Wise's greatest moment vs probably the worst moment of JD's career so far. However, is JD's defense really that much better?

Really with this comparison? Seriously?

Danks was been noted by scouts to be the best defensive OF in the Sox system most of his tenure in the minors. He's won league-wide awards for it. Wise isn't bad, but Danks is better.

I think we f***ed Danks by moving him up too quickly. I know why we did it, but the fact it took him three seasons to get it going in AAA is proof he could have spent another year or so in AA. He's immensely more talented than Wise, though.

TRUTHERS FOR DANKS!!! No, I would only see that side of that if we can confirm Danks is going to be a better fielder as Wise enters year 35 of his life. But as far as every other aspect, bring on DW. Even has established comfortability with pinch hitting.

He won me over last year, and really there's no worry here since (unlike the quick bringing back of Kotsay) he will not be pressured to do much.

Were Wise to falter, Jared Mitchell may even step into the 4th OF picture over Danks at this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Really with this comparison? Seriously?

Danks was been noted by scouts to be the best defensive OF in the Sox system most of his tenure in the minors. He's won league-wide awards for it. Wise isn't bad, but Danks is better.

Lol, I know it is unfair as I stated in the post. It was a joke, sorta. My point is, does JD's better defense (not by much) make up for Wise being the better hitter?