Sox re-sign DeWayne Wise

LittleHurt05

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
With Wise, Danks, and Tekotte all being LH hitting OF's, I think De Aza is gone. Alejandro will be getting a raise and doesn't feel as comfortable in CF. I don't necessarily agree that it would be the best move but I think the writing is definitely on the wall.

De Aza is expected to get $2 million this year. With how he performed last year, that's well worth it. De Aza is an average to above average leadoff hitter. The other three guys you mentioned are AAAA bench players.

Edited by chw42

In any case, this is a small deal and a small argument in the grand scheme of things.

But I do feel like it may indicate something bigger looming. Having a more veteran guy like Wise may be more important if your outfield gets younger or less experienced. Or less skilled defensively. Through a trade or two.

That was my point. Something could be brewing but I don't have any reliable information. Just my own speculation based on Hahn's prior comments about 3 team scenarios.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
With Wise, Danks, and Tekotte all being LH hitting OF's, I think De Aza is gone. Alejandro will be getting a raise and doesn't feel as comfortable in CF. I don't necessarily agree that it would be the best move but I think the writing is definitely on the wall.

The White Sox need a leadoff hitter. De Aza is that guy. They really have no other option on their roster. Unless they are signing one or trading for one, De Aza won't be going anwhere. Tekotte and Wise being signed doesn't signal De Aza's exit.

Could anyone stomach an outfield of Tank in LF, Wise in CF, and DeAza in RF if we can manage to swing a trade for Rios by selling high and getting something of value back? Even if we eat some of Rios' salary? I want to say a 3rd baseman but I can't think of any scenario where we get a high upside 3rd baseman unless we pry loose a prospect from some team who is doing well in AAA and is MLB ready or a year away.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Could anyone stomach an outfield of Tank in LF, Wise in CF, and DeAza in RF if we can manage to swing a trade for Rios by selling high and getting something of value back? Even if we eat some of Rios' salary? I want to say a 3rd baseman but I can't think of any scenario where we get a high upside 3rd baseman unless we pry loose a prospect from some team who is doing well in AAA and is MLB ready or a year away.

No, I could not stomach that outfield. I think Rios stays.

My prediction- Sox move Viciedo in a trade for a 3B, and Wise and Tekotte/Danks hold down LF until Jared Mitchell is ready. The Sox are probably ready to see what Mitchell can do in Chicago.

I know a lot of people like Viciedo, but with Mitchell, Thompson, Walker, and Hawkins in the system, I think Viciedo is movable.

It's amazing how much discussion we have here for mostly inconsequential moves. This addresses 2013 and nothing beyond that. For the $ I'd go with Wise in 2013 as he can step in and get a few hits here and there and his defense is comparable to Danks'. He'll hardly be out there anyway. Neither player will play much in 2013 anyway and neither will be here in 2014.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)

No, you'd have to upgrade big time at 3B to make that reasonable, and I don't think there's any guy available that is thast kind of upgrade, and less so someone available for Rios.

I truly love DWise, but his time has passed. Very bad move for the Sox as they start to move forward for the season. Maybe Robin will be able to read his hot streaks and sit his ass the minute he looks like he's entering one of those tailspins. When he's hot he's damn good. When he's not, ugh.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
I truly love DWise, but his time has passed. Very bad move for the Sox as they start to move forward for the season. Maybe Robin will be able to read his hot streaks and sit his ass the minute he looks like he's entering one of those tailspins. When he's hot he's damn good. When he's not, ugh.

This is hardly a very bad move. Unless Wise is being pegged as a starter (which is doubtful), he adds some good depth to the bench. Robin shouldn't have to worry about his streaks because he'll be a 4th outfielder/pinch runner/pinch hitter/pitcher (j/k).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)

I don't think a $700K deal for a 1 WAR player could ever be considered "very bad". It's not like the Sox gave him $3M.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
The 40 man roster is now at 40.

Now that is what I find most interesting. Wise did good enough last season to earn his position with the Sox in '13. I like Danks too and he may stay as well. They are role players after all and not huge impact players

I would have gone with Danks (assuming there is nothing else brewing), but I think it is silly to call it a "very bad move". People are itching for news, so this is a hot topic. But really, it isn't a big difference between the two. I think you are way overreacting to this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
It's amazing how much discussion we have here for mostly inconsequential moves. This addresses 2013 and nothing beyond that. For the $ I'd go with Wise in 2013 as he can step in and get a few hits here and there and his defense is comparable to Danks'. He'll hardly be out there anyway. Neither player will play much in 2013 anyway and neither will be here in 2014.

Exactly. Plus now we see calls to trade Rios beczasue we sign Wise. Wise is a role player. The mistake would be to trade Rios

I didn't realize until I looked how many games Wise started after he came over from the Yankees. Some of this was because De Aza went on the DL within a few days of Wise's arrival. But even after De Aza returned, Wise kept getting starts.

From August 11, when he came over, until October 3, Wise started 38 out of 51 games, and he didn't play in only 6 games. De Aza missed 25 games in this stretch, Viciedo missed 7 games, Rios missed 2 (last 2).

In that same stretch, Jordan Danks played in only 18 games. And he only received at bats in 8 of them. (18 ABs, 2 hits.)

I think Wise proved he was a servicable 4th outfielder in that stretch of games. His average is not high, and he doesn't walk much, but he hits with a little power, showed some clutch ability, ran very well, and fielded well. What more do you want for 700k?

Wow, Greg bashing DWeezy? Since when?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)

You probably should log out until April then...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)

When DeWayne Wise wins game 7 of the World Series by striking out the side in the top of the 9th and then hitting a 700 foot walk-off homer and then subsequently begins the rapture as the second coming, I know I'll be saved. Will you?

How would a Dwayne Wise/Reed Johnson platoon in CF compare to De Aza's overall production? Obviously it's not ideal, but if De Aza can be used to get a young, cost-controlled 3B, then it's something worth considering IMO. I just think that Hahn is going to have to get creative to fill the black hole that is 3B and trading De Aza now would be doing so at his highest value.

As for the Wise move itself, I don't see how anyone could complain. He's great 4th OF if used correctly and he came relatively cheap. Solid move by Hahn.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
I didn't realize until I looked how many games Wise started after he came over from the Yankees. Some of this was because De Aza went on the DL within a few days of Wise's arrival. But even after De Aza returned, Wise kept getting starts.

From August 11, when he came over, until October 3, Wise started 38 out of 51 games, and he didn't play in only 6 games. De Aza missed 25 games in this stretch, Viciedo missed 7 games, Rios missed 2 (last 2).

In that same stretch, Jordan Danks played in only 18 games. And he only received at bats in 8 of them. (18 ABs, 2 hits.)

I think Wise proved he was a servicable 4th outfielder in that stretch of games. His average is not high, and he doesn't walk much, but he hits with a little power, showed some clutch ability, ran very well, and fielded well. What more do you want for 700k?

I don't care about the money. I just think we'd be better served to play somebody else as backup outfielder. Deweezy is streaky, though. Robin should play him a lot when he's hot, but once that streak ends, bench him and rarely play him.