Sox re-sign DeWayne Wise

LittleHurt05

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 01:53 AM)
The quintessential message board baseball comment

Why do you say that? In saying that, you imply it's kind of a dumb comment, showing little baseball knowledge. I think it shows a lot of baseball knowledge of our Sox. Remember when we got Wise and he was amazing for 2 weeks or so?? Then it was over. The hot streak was done and all he did was make outs and I think he made a few defensive gaffes or baserunning blunders as well. I love Wise but as a fan I'd rather see somebody else out there. Somebody new. People on here clamor for change, well I'd agree in this case. Give me another backup outfielder. We know what Dweezey can do and that is get hot for a two-week stretch or so, which is fine. His whole body of work is .230ish, however.

Why is it dumb to say Robin should play him during that torrid stretch, then when he sees it's over, just bench him for good? Can you deny he gets hot, then is not?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
Why do you say that? In saying that, you imply it's kind of a dumb comment, showing little baseball knowledge. I think it shows a lot of baseball knowledge of our Sox. Remember when we got Wise and he was amazing for 2 weeks or so?? Then it was over. The hot streak was done and all he did was make outs and I think he made a few defensive gaffes or baserunning blunders as well. I love Wise but as a fan I'd rather see somebody else out there. Somebody new. People on here clamor for change, well I'd agree in this case. Give me another backup outfielder. We know what Dweezey can do and that is get hot for a two-week stretch or so, which is fine. His whole body of work is .230ish, however.

Why is it dumb to say Robin should play him during that torrid stretch, then when he sees it's over, just bench him for good? Can you deny he gets hot, then is not?

How is a guy going to get out of a slump if he doesn't play?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)

The point is that it is difficult to tell whether a player is in a legitimate slump or if he's just having one of the slower stretches that is bound to happen, statistically

So saying to just bench him when his slump starts makes it sound far easier than it is to actually tell when a player needs to get benched.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 05:45 AM)
The point is that it is difficult to tell whether a player is in a legitimate slump or if he's just having one of the slower stretches that is bound to happen, statistically

So saying to just bench him when his slump starts makes it sound far easier than it is to actually tell when a player needs to get benched.

Maybe Dweezy is a late late bloomer and he'll have a Melky Cabrera type year. I just think his body of work suggests if he gets a ton of at bats, that's not a good thing. I don't mind the guy, but I'd think somebody else could fulfil his role. Maybe not. I'm definitely not incensed Wise is coming back. He just doesn't really excite me even as a 4th outfielder.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)

Exactly. Unless you have ESP you can't know when a slump is going to begin/end.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 01:28 AM)
Maybe Dweezy is a late late bloomer and he'll have a Melky Cabrera type year. I just think his body of work suggests if he gets a ton of at bats, that's not a good thing. I don't mind the guy, but I'd think somebody else could fulfil his role. Maybe not. I'm definitely not incensed Wise is coming back. He just doesn't really excite me even as a 4th outfielder.

Steroids FTW

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
I just think he's a very streaky hitter, all or nothing. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

How exactly would you know when the good streak will start? If he starts the season 0-8, do you bench him for the rest of the season? So many questions, so many questions

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Any possibility that this is due to DeAza health issues we haven't heard about yet?

I gotta think they'd have been looking for a more reliable option than Wise if they were worried about ADA. Wise may be a tolerable backup and a guy that other people like to have around, but I can't believe they'd make the mistake of thinking he's a starter again.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
How exactly would you know when the good streak will start? If he starts the season 0-8, do you bench him for the rest of the season? So many questions, so many questions

He was great right after the Sox got him and horrific the last 3 weeks as I recall. I don't know if he gets tired or what, but the bad Wise was an automatic out. I remember at one point he had no chance up there. The good Wise was pretty amazing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
He was great right after the Sox got him and horrific the last 3 weeks as I recall. I don't know if he gets tired or what, but the bad Wise was an automatic out. I remember at one point he had no chance up there. The good Wise was pretty amazing.

once again, how exactly would you know when the good and bad streaks are starting?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)

He had an OPS of 1.000 for his first 9 games, 8 of which were starts. In his final 36 games, 30 of which were starts, his OPS was .617. You can do all sorts of cherry picking through his games to find small decent stretches and longer, terrible stretches. The reason DeWayne Wise has stuck around the game long enough is that he is dependable enough to use on the bench because he can play 3 OF positions, hit for a bit of power, and run the bases pretty well. The reason he's only been given the starting job once - unjustly, I might add - is because he's simply not that good.

You play him when you need him. That's his job as a 4th outfielder.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
He had an OPS of 1.000 for his first 9 games, 8 of which were starts. In his final 36 games, 30 of which were starts, his OPS was .617. You can do all sorts of cherry picking through his games to find small decent stretches and longer, terrible stretches. The reason DeWayne Wise has stuck around the game long enough is that he is dependable enough to use on the bench because he can play 3 OF positions, hit for a bit of power, and run the bases pretty well. The reason he's only been given the starting job once - unjustly, I might add - is because he's simply not that good.

So basically...use him like a backup...play him when someone could use a day off or gets hurt, and if he has a few good games in a row and the guy in front of him somewhere has been struggling for a while, give him some extra starts.

If that's how he gets used, I'm game for it. I still get nervous though...because even with changes in management...this is still the franchise that decided he needed to not only be the opening day starter, but also lead off.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)

Seems to me he becomes a favorite of all managers. He started for the Yankees for quite a spell, didn't he? Then he was our starter. I don't mind the guy, I just wish we'd get some new bodies out on the field. Deweezy to me is a symbol of the fact we ain't gonna win the division.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
Seems to me he becomes a favorite of all managers. He started for the Yankees for quite a spell, didn't he? Then he was our starter. I don't mind the guy, I just wish we'd get some new bodies out on the field. Deweezy to me is a symbol of the fact we ain't gonna win the division.

Oh c'mon greg, he's the 4th outfielder! And he actually had a higher OPS than both the Tigers 4th and 5th OFer.

Wise-.721

Quintin Berry-.684

Brennan Boesch-.659

The new bodies you want are about a year away in guys like Thompson and Mitchell.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)

He doesn't complain about sitting. He plays hard when he's in the lineup. He's a generally smart ballplayer. He doesn't say anything dumb to the press (primarily because they don't care). As a manager, what's not to love about a player like that?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)

He actually got less playing time than I thought he got, now that I look at their lineups. He started 15 games over 4 months for the Yankees, and that was in large part because Brett Gardner got hurt very early in the season, and that moved Wise into the primary backup OF role. But even with that, the Yankees generally went with Ibanez, Granderson, Swisher, and Jones/Nix as their starters over Wise. You heard about him playing because of that game he pitched and because he got basically sidelined after they traded for Ichiro.

He started 38 games for the White Sox in less than 2 months and 15 games for the Yankees over 4 months. He's a tolerable backup, but if he's starting 38 games for you, it's because several guys got hurt and your bench is very thin, and you might want to start looking at trading for an actual starting OF.