Sox sign two to minor league deals.

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Anderson bats left-handed, so this may be the guy who takes some of the at-bats against right-handed pitchers from Flowers (assuming no AJ). Was once a highly thought of prospect.

Maybe he finds himself and does what you are saying, but I really doubt the Sox are counting on him to do anything but catch in Charlotte.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
They are really anticipating losing AJ.

With Hahn at the helm, I would not be surprised that the organization uses more statistical analysis than ever in making roster decisions.

AJ = 2.6 WAR in 479 at-bats

TFlo = 1.0 WAR in 136 at-bats

Extrapolating out Flowers' WAR to AJ's playing time = 3.5 WAR. Just saying. And that was with AJ having his best year ever and with Flowers' not ever getting in a routine because of limited at-bats. The advanced stats really like Flowers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
Maybe he finds himself and does what you are saying, but I really doubt the Sox are counting on him to do anything but catch in Charlotte.

At this point, it's him or Phegley, so it's not that far outside the realm of possibilities. I hope we get a veteran in here for cheap, because I wouldn't trust either of those guys. Actually I guess we still have Hector Gimenez, so he is probably the favorite for the back-up job as the roster currently stands.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
With Hahn at the helm, I would not be surprised that the organization uses more statistical analysis than ever in making roster decisions.

AJ = 2.6 WAR in 479 at-bats

TFlo = 1.0 WAR in 136 at-bats

Extrapolating out Flowers' WAR to AJ's playing time = 3.5 WAR. Just saying. And that was with AJ having his best year ever and with Flowers' not ever getting in a routine because of limited at-bats. The advanced stats really like Flowers.

Of course, the problem with projecting that out to a full year is that Flowers up up a .905 OPS against lefties and .586 against righties...splits like that are tolerable as a backup, but 400 PA's against righties with a .586 OPS would be kinda brutal.