AT&T Uverse

jasonxctf

Was thinking about switching from my cable provider (Mediacom) to them. Already have AT&T for home phone/internet. Seems like better pricing and more channels. (especially MLB Network and NBA Channel plus more HD channels)

Anyone have good/bad/ugly experiences about AT&T Uverse? Anything I should know in advance of jumping in??

Thanks for any feedback!

I have it and I really like it. My parents had it, but they had problems. However, in their case, I think they had some older wiring in the house that caused the problem.

We were early adopters. they began offering UVerse in my neighborhood the month before we moved it. So, we had some issues early on, but it's been pretty solid ever since. I like it for a few reasons.

1) record up to 4 channels at once. I use this more often than I wish to admit.

2) Channel arangement. The channels are grouped by "kind" (news, sports, family). The HD versions of those channels are the channel+1000. So, ESPN SD is 602, HD is 1602. HGTV SD is 450, HGTV HD is 1450. SO, it's super easy to find the HD version os SD channels. Plus, all the HD channels are together, so I rarely ever look at the SD part of the channel guide.

3) The user interface is pretty solid. Much better than Comcast.

Their tv is excellent. DVR system is snappy and works great. Wireless receiver is great. All NBA League Pass games are in HD for me. They have a ton of channels and a lot of HD channels at that. U300, is which I have, includes all movie channels minus HBO and Cinemax, but I got a free promo for 6 months from them. The good thing, they usually have a ton of promos and previews like getting HBO for a free trial period which new customers are eligible for.

Their internet, well, sucks. Speeds depend on how far your node is supposedly as they don't do Fiber to the house. My node is 10 feet from my doorstep and I have their highest cable package which is 24 down. With headers and all that taken into account, I get about 1.2mbps of actual download speed at best. Compare that to WOW in which I got 2mbps solid and up to 2.5 while having their 15mbps cable internet package. Xfinity also blows their internet out of the water as well. Also, you have to use their gateway which sucks IMO, and since you have IPTV, that takes up 25% of your bandwidth. If you're watching tv, and someone else is streaming, you can forget about downloading a file or even streaming youtube.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
My node is 10 feet from my doorstep and I have their highest cable package which is 24 down. With headers and all that taken into account, I get about 1.2mbps of actual download speed at best. Compare that to WOW in which I got 2mbps solid and up to 2.5 while having their 15mbps cable internet package. Xfinity also blows their internet out of the water as well. Also, you have to use their gateway which sucks IMO, and since you have IPTV, that takes up 25% of your bandwidth. If you're watching tv, and someone else is streaming, you can forget about downloading a file or even streaming youtube.

Wow, really? I've never run across this. I have their 3mbps down and 1 up package and I consistently get pretty close to 3 down all the time.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Wow, really? I've never run across this. I have their 3mbps down and 1 up package and I consistently get pretty close to 3 down all the time.

Yep, it's true. And I've had techs come out and also have scoured online at the ATT forums as well as broadbandreports and they tell me that's normal. Also, I was mistaken, IPTV takes up 75% of your bandwidth, not 25%.

I have it and really like it. The ability to record four shows at once is the feature that got me to switch.

I also recently got two wireless receivers, and they work great. It's actually as simple as the commercials make it seem.

TV is very good. HD is crisp and clear, and I like the fact that the channels are grouped by type.

Phone is fine. We don't use the landline much anymore, but we kept it and chose the lowest level (500 minutes a month, I think).

Internet can be slow at times, but I've only had that problem on my computer. The WiFi on my phone is quite fast. So, maybe it's where my computer is located.

Overall, I couldn't see switching to anything else. The price is better than Comcast, which doesn't have the same DVR options. Dish or Direct might be a bit cheaper, but I wouldn't switch just because of the increased possibility of service disruption in weather.

Up until 4 years ago, I had Dish Network. Then I decided I really wanted MLB Network, so I switched to DirecTV. Their customer service was absolutely terrible. I was just waiting for another provider to pick up MLB Network. Finally U-verse did so I went to the local AT&T store to schedule an installation. They told me they couldn't get anybody out for a month. I told them they needed to find a way to do that quicker or I wouldn't switch. They insisted that they were really backed up and there was no way to do it quicker. About a week later the local cable company finally started offering MLB Network so I switched to them.

So, I don't know how good U-verse is because I never actually got it, but if you can't do an install for a month that's a major red flag for me. I had working service from the cable company within 48 hours of making the initial call.

Oh, and while I was switching to cable I switched my internet from AT&T to the cable company as well so that's my big middle finger to AT&T.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 06:58 AM)
Up until 4 years ago, I had Dish Network. Then I decided I really wanted MLB Network, so I switched to DirecTV. Their customer service was absolutely terrible. I was just waiting for another provider to pick up MLB Network. Finally U-verse did so I went to the local AT&T store to schedule an installation. They told me they couldn't get anybody out for a month. I told them they needed to find a way to do that quicker or I wouldn't switch. They insisted that they were really backed up and there was no way to do it quicker. About a week later the local cable company finally started offering MLB Network so I switched to them.

So, I don't know how good U-verse is because I never actually got it, but if you can't do an install for a month that's a major red flag for me. I had working service from the cable company within 48 hours of making the initial call.

Oh, and while I was switching to cable I switched my internet from AT&T to the cable company as well so that's my big middle finger to AT&T.

When U-Verse first launched in the Chicagoland area(which was around that time), it did take a month to two months to get the job done. That's because it was the craze and installation, especially if you had old wiring or no wiring, took all day. Even now, unless you're available during the week, it's going to take 3-4 weeks to get an install on the weekend. If you're available during the week, it'll take about 5 days.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
HD at one tv at a time right?

Not necessarily, at least not anymore. It depends on what you area's coverage is like. For example, where I'm at, I'm able to do 4 HD channels and 2 SD all at the same time. Some people only get 1 HD and 2 SD, especially if you have the older network infrastructure.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
My building has free Wifi. Would I be better off switching to Uverse for TV only? I imagine it's cheaper than Comcast. We're paying in the neighborhood of $100 for cable with HBO and Encore without DVR. Do they get the B1G Network? I know I can look this up. :P

They do have the Big10 Network. They also have the Texas Longhorn network as well. The one I wanted was the Pac 12 network which probably won't be available until next year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
I was actually looking into swtiching to U-Verse last night, but for some reason the TV service is still not available in my neighborhood. WTF, it's not like I live in the boondocks.

That was us for a bit than they finally got it.

I love UVerse. We had tech problems a few months ago but turned out it was whole neighborhood and they fixed it. DVR service is great. Wish they had Extra Innings

I was actually looking into swtiching to U-Verse last night, but for some reason the TV service is still not available in my neighborhood. WTF, it's not like I live in the boondocks.

Same with me, although phone and internet are available. I'm pretty sure one of our neighbors a few blocks away has Uverse, so I don't understand it.

Allow me to apply to golden rule when it comes to any technology when the name AT&T is somehow attached...

If you can avoid using AT&T, avoid using AT&T. This rule *always* applies for everything and anything they offer. In the end, you will NOT save money, you will NOT have better service, and you will NOT have a better experience than you could have elsewhere.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Allow me to apply to golden rule when it comes to any technology when the name AT&T is somehow attached...

If you can avoid using AT&T, avoid using AT&T. This rule *always* applies for everything and anything they offer. In the end, you will NOT save money, you will NOT have better service, and you will NOT have a better experience than you could have elsewhere.

I've had them for my phone & internet for about 10 years now with no problems. Although we could probably drop our landline phone since we hardly ever use it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

I've had no problem with them. We've had wireless service through them for about 3 years now, and we've had U-Verse for about 4 years. Over the past 8 years or so, we've had Dish, Comcast, and now U-Verse. U-Verse has been the best, by far.

I've compared prices for the package of TV, internet, and phone, and AT&T has the best price for what we need. As far as wireless, it's not cheap, but I wouldn't have saved much of anything had I switched to another carrier.

I live in downtown chicago and I cant get it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
I've had no problem with them. We've had wireless service through them for about 3 years now, and we've had U-Verse for about 4 years. Over the past 8 years or so, we've had Dish, Comcast, and now U-Verse. U-Verse has been the best, by far.

I've compared prices for the package of TV, internet, and phone, and AT&T has the best price for what we need. As far as wireless, it's not cheap, but I wouldn't have saved much of anything had I switched to another carrier.

There are always people that don't have issues...or so they think.

Fact is, their wireless service is the worst in the nation, not by my opinion, but because it's the worst.

AT&T is synonymous with low quality. A few of you having no problems when they have the lowest service ratings across all the industries you mentioned show that while it may work great for some, by and large, it doesn't for most.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
I've had them for my phone & internet for about 10 years now with no problems. Although we could probably drop our landline phone since we hardly ever use it.

AT&T's internet is total garbage unless you happen to live very close to a central office. Even then, they can't come close to competing with Comcast in terms of speed.

I have the cheapest Comcast internet package I could get, and it's like 20mbit down, 5mbit up. Not theoretical, but actual speeds sustained. And I find those speeds to be mediocre. ;)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
There are always people that don't have issues...or so they think.

Fact is, their wireless service is the worst in the nation, not by my opinion, but because it's the worst.

AT&T is synonymous with low quality. A few of you having no problems when they have the lowest service ratings across all the industries you mentioned show that while it may work great for some, by and large, it doesn't for most.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
AT&T's internet is total garbage unless you happen to live very close to a central office. Even then, they can't come close to competing with Comcast in terms of speed.

I have the cheapest Comcast internet package I could get, and it's like 20mbit down, 5mbit up. Not theoretical, but actual speeds sustained. And I find those speeds to be mediocre. ;)

Are you a Comcast salesman or something? ;) I realize every provider has their issues, but for ME, AT&T has been fine. There are two big reasons why I will not go back to Comcast: No full home DVR and piss-poor customer service.