Sox coaching staff announced

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
Hawk Harrelson was actually preaching teams needed 2 hitting coaches over 25 years ago. I wonder what this means for Gellinger. He was the assistant hitting coach. Will the Sox have 2?
having

I watched the hitting coach work with q . at spring training they were working with the timing of the leg kick. I don't think it could hurt having 2 as long as they are not contradicting each other

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
Sox are joining the new group of teams to have two hitting coaches, even if Baines is only an "assistant" hitting coach.

Why was this move made? Anyone have insight? Is it a promotion of sorts considering Harold's hitting history or did he not fit in as a coach?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

#WhiteSox hitting coach Jeff Manto excited to work officially w/ 1-time teammate Harold Baines, his new asst.

Jeff Manto said he leaned heavily on Harold Baines's opinion last season. "I trust him as much as I trust anyone." #WhiteSox #Orioles #MLB

The offseason might be time to legitimately discuss the actual value of a hitting coach aside from providing all the tools night and day for players: tapes, access to hitting apparatus, etc.

We go from Walker to Manto, yet the team still was station to station and still only won when we hit home runs. Was there an improvement? Was there increased value? I say no.

Players:

Dunn - he did improve in home run bomb totals but still whiffed a ton and still had horrific batting average. Was Manto the reason he made contact 30 more times and got the ball up in the air? Maybe. Advantage Manto.

Beckham - He stunk again. Manto made no difference.

Lexi - He did not have a good year. Manto made no difference.

Youk - As a veteran surely did not listen much to Manto. He definitely didn't revitalize his hitting under Manto. Manto made no difference.

Viciedo - He had the same bad tendencies at the plate, swinging at everything, although amazingly he drew as many walks as Rios. He did not look like he had a clue at the plate, albeit only a rookie. Manto made no difference.

DeAza - Decent enough year, but nothing special to make you think Manto created some special player. Manto made no difference. If you argue violently on this one, I'd be willing to give Manto some applause on DeAza.

Rios - Is Rios Manto's guy? The guy who makes it seem as Manto is great? Or did Rios figure some things out on his own as a veteran? Advantage Manto.

AJ - Had a nice power season. Is Manto the reason? Doubtful being AJ is a headstrung veteran, but we'll give it to Manto. Advantage Manto.

Paulie - Was streakier than he's been, had that long long stretch of nothingness cause of injury probably. Definitely no better under Manto than Walker. Manto made no difference.

Lilly - Terrible before we let him go. Manto made no difference.

Hudson - No reclamation under Manto.

Flowers - Did pretty well for a young guy but did he seem like a guy blossoming under a new hitting coach? No. Manto made no difference.

So in conclusion did Dunn's increased home run totals and Rios' outstanding season and AJ's excellence mean Manto is some sort of guru? That he is that much better than Walker? Three veterans' improvement??

I say No. I say Walker and Manto are the same guy, folks. They are capable hitting coaches who provide the tools but it's the player who swings the bat.

This is not an attack at Manto, but more a defense of Walker and more a commentary on the hitting coach position. It is my belief they don't matter that much. If they did, well, Manto has all offseason to fix Beckham, doesn't he?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
The offseason might be time to legitimately discuss the actual value of a hitting coach aside from providing all the tools night and day for players: tapes, access to hitting apparatus, etc.

We go from Walker to Manto, yet the team still was station to station and still only won when we hit home runs. Was there an improvement? Was there increased value? I say no.

Players:

Dunn - he did improve in home run bomb totals but still whiffed a ton and still had horrific batting average. Was Manto the reason he made contact 30 more times and got the ball up in the air? Maybe. Advantage Manto.

Youk - As a veteran surely did not listen much to Manto. He definitely didn't revitalize his hitting under Manto. Manto made no difference.

Viciedo - He had the same bad tendencies at the plate, swinging at everything, although amazingly he drew as many walks as Rios. He did not look like he had a clue at the plate, albeit only a rookie. Manto made no difference.

DeAza - Decent enough year, but nothing special to make you think Manto created some special player. Manto made no difference. If you argue violently on this one, I'd be willing to give Manto some applause on DeAza.

Rios - Is Rios Manto's guy? The guy who makes it seem as Manto is great? Or did Rios figure some things out on his own as a veteran? Advantage Manto.

AJ - Had a nice power season. Is Manto the reason? Doubtful being AJ is a headstrung veteran, but we'll give it to Manto. Advantage Manto.

Paulie - Was streakier than he's been, had that long long stretch of nothingness cause of injury probably. Definitely no better under Manto than Walker. Manto made no difference.

Flowers - Did pretty well for a young guy but did he seem like a guy blossoming under a new hitting coach? No. Manto made no difference.

So in conclusion did Dunn's increased home run totals and Rios' outstanding season and AJ's excellence mean Manto is some sort of guru? That he is that much better than Walker? Three veterans' improvement??

I say No. I say Walker and Manto are the same guy, folks. They are capable hitting coaches who provide the tools but it's the player who swings the bat.

This is not an attack at Manto, but more a defense of Walker and more a commentary on the hitting coach position. It is my belief they don't matter that much. If they did, well, Manto has all offseason to fix Beckham, doesn't he?

I'm not sure I disagree with your ultimate conclusion, Greg, but what are you basing all of this on? How can you confidently gauge Manto's influence on these guys without any inside information?

I posit that you cannot.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
I'm not sure I disagree with your ultimate conclusion, Greg, but what are you basing all of this on? How can you confidently gauge Manto's influence on these guys without any inside information?

I posit that you cannot.

I have no inside information so I only go by basic results/stats. If you are all agreeing with me on my basic premise, that just 3 or 4 guys were revitalized last season (if you count DeAza) I contend there isn't much proof that Manto made a bit of difference. Our team couldn't move runners. It couldn't score runners from third and short with less than two outs the entire second half of the season. But it could hit home runs much of the time. At least during our victories.

Sounds a lot like our team under Mr. Walker.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
I have no inside information so I only go by basic results/stats. If you are all agreeing with me on my basic premise, that just 3 or 4 guys were revitalized last season (if you count DeAza) I contend there isn't much proof that Manto made a bit of difference. Our team couldn't move runners. It couldn't score runners from third and short with less than two outs the entire second half of the season. But it could hit home runs much of the time. At least during our victories.

Ultimately, if you want a better offense, your line-up needs better hitters. Rudy Jaramillo was a guru when he had Texas Rangers hitters. When he had Cubs hitters, he became a dope. It works with pitchers too. Leo Mazzone was the guru, the gold standard, when he had Maddux and Glavine and Smoltz. He cashes in, goes to Baltimore where they have a staff Soxtalk could pound, he loses his job and suddenly he can't get hired anywhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)

How about the fact that the 2012 team scored 94 more runs than the 2011 team?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
Ultimately, if you want a better offense, your line-up needs better hitters. Rudy Jaramillo was a guru when he had Texas Rangers hitters. When he had Cubs hitters, he became a dope. It works with pitchers too. Leo Mazzone was the guru, the gold standard, when he had Maddux and Glavine and Smoltz. He cashes in, goes to Baltimore where they have a staff Soxtalk could pound, he loses his job and suddenly he can't get hired anywhere.

Really? I gotta think Leo Mazzone would be able to walk into a pitching coach job tomorrow if he really wanted one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)

Players:

I don't think you'll find anyone on this site that will tell you that a hitting coach makes a huge difference. That being said a change was needed and the way you come to your conclusions is just so bizarre, "well 3 of our guys were MUCH better this year but I think that proves my point that hitting coaches don't matter."

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
Says the guy who gives Ozzie all the credit in the world for the WS title.

But I agree.

Ugh. I hope I have not led people to believe that I feel Ozzie is the only reason the Sox won the WS. I give Ozzie and Kenny their huge props, but I think most people would agree I have given a ton of credit to the players on that team. I could go down the whole roster if you like and praise most all of them. In the past I have been loyal on this site to most all of them. I hope the Sox can win another one, but sadly, all momentum from that title has been long gone.

But please believe me when I say I do not give Ozzie all the credit for that title team. I thank him as a fan and I thank KW and the players who did the real work.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)

Well written IMO. This is the truth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
Hawk Harrelson was actually preaching teams needed 2 hitting coaches over 25 years ago. I wonder what this means for Gellinger. He was the assistant hitting coach. Will the Sox have 2?

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

RV said Mike Gellinger remains with org., could have duties shifted to role that allows him to be closer to home.