White Sox in on Mike Adams?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
Unless the Sox are freeing up money in some novel way, I don't think it makes much sense to spend that kind of money on a reliever right now. I'd rather roll the dice with the 'pen we have, and spend the money on 3B and/or C.

That's how I feel about it as well. We have plenty of relievers.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Maybe they are looking at him to close? Signing him may make Reed available. I like Reed and would like to see him stay, but he might be able to get the Sox a good package if traded with someone like Floyd. The Sox seem to be able to pump out relievers like no other from the minors, Reed may be expendable.

I

What if the White Sox traded Thornton and Crain and signed Adams? Is that counterproductive? Depends on how much money Adams wants. I bet the White Sox are a long shot with some of the other teams mentioned.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
I

What if the White Sox traded Thornton and Crain and signed Adams? Is that counterproductive? Depends on how much money Adams wants. I bet the White Sox are a long shot with some of the other teams mentioned.

It's not counterproductive if they can get something in return for those guys.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
Unless the Sox are freeing up money in some novel way, I don't think it makes much sense to spend that kind of money on a reliever right now. I'd rather roll the dice with the 'pen we have, and spend the money on 3B and/or C.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
That's how I feel about it as well. We have plenty of relievers.

We have plenty of bad relievers. I'd be all for a total reshuffling of the bullpen. I wish we'd trade some of the current parts basically for anybody else. I like Reed. The rest of the guys are all a dime a dozen or worse IMO. Nobody is reliable besides Reed. By reliable I mean by old White Sox standards. Guys who can get people out.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
We have plenty of bad relievers. I'd be all for a total reshuffling of the bullpen. I wish we'd trade some of the current parts basically for anybody else. I like Reed. The rest of the guys are all a dime a dozen or worse IMO. Nobody is reliable besides Reed. By reliable I mean by old White Sox standards. Guys who can get people out.

You don't think Jones will be a quality middle reliever? He seemed to be the only sure thing out of the pen the last month of the season or so.

Besides Reed? I really like what Reed brings to the table, but he was anything but reliable last year, especially in the second half - 5.63 ERA, 1.54 WHIP, .313/.346/.535/.881 splits. His control got better because he was throwing everything over the heart of the plate.

He would benefit from serving in a set up role, but he is also an extremely valuable trade chip too. And I love, love, love Mike Adams.

What does that even mean? Are the White Sox known as a historically reliable bullpen organization?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)

C'mon man...Jones, Crain, Veal, and yes Matt Thornton aren't "bad relievers"....Omogrosso also didn't look "bad"

Septimo was a 3 run HR away from putting up some decent numbers as well.

Reed had the worst numbers of them all.

I certainly wouldn't mind bringing in Adams or someone else to close.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
I think we blew like 20 save opportunities last year. Is that correct?

For context, the average team in MLB blew 18 saves. The Sox are on the high side but only slightly. 7 teams blew more saves than us.

Yes, it's an area we could improve in...but Hell, we ran a bullpen of 7 bloody rookies out there at one point. Being that close to average isn't all that bad, and we might well get better at that just by having guys who aren't rookies and who have seen that kind of pressure before.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)

This is definitely one of the more "WTF?" posts I've read in a while.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
This is definitely one of the more "WTF?" posts I've read in a while.

What will it take for people to realize Greg is a troll. I mean he just recently ripped signing Dwayne Wise to be our 4th OF even though Wise was a favorite of his as recently as last year and overall he did fairly well.

I'll give Greg some credit though, he's one committed troll and definitely puts a lot of time into this character he's created.