AJ Talk

southsider2k5

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
Heyman hints that Yankees may be looking at AJ too.

Seems like there are about 4-5 teams looking for a full time catcher, and pretty much only AJP and Napoli available as free agents. Not sure who else in trade.

Russel Martin is out there as well.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

my aj pierzynski dodger speculation was nothing more than that, probably less. person w/ knowledge says "not happening''

#mariners also say not strong in on pierzynski. nyy wasnt in much before losing martin, maybe they should be.

if #yankees want to keep below $189M for 2014, offer pierzynski $10M for 1 yr. cant let lux tax affect '13 AND '14

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
If the Dodgers are in, the Sox don't have a chance.

I dont know about that. AJ Ellis is pretty good. I can't imagine he sits 140 games so AJ can start. If anything it would be a 50/50 split on playing time, and AJ's ego won't let that happen.

If plenty of teams need a full time catcher and there seems to be no issues with with "character", then AJ's time on the soutside is over.

I don't even want the Chairman to step in. The money would be better used elsewhere and I'm confident in Flowers

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
I thought Miguel Olivo was out there too? He is no AJP, Napoli or even Russell Martin but could be a serviceable back up catcher if someone gives youth a chance as the starting back stop

I really don't want Olivo. That ship has sailed. Letting AJ go is a huge mistake. Sure hope Flowers is ready to catch all but 20 games.

It seems that what happens with AJ will be a nice indication of JRs and K-Dubs "gut" on the chances for next season. If they believe a playoff shot is less than 50-50, seriously why spend money on AJ? I don't believe they can backslide too much here and remain competitive. I also do not see a no AJ scenario where it would not be a backslide and the chances of Flowers being an upgrade are rather slim IMHO.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
It seems that what happens with AJ will be a nice indication of JRs and K-Dubs "gut" on the chances for next season. If they believe a playoff shot is less than 50-50, seriously why spend money on AJ? I don't believe they can backslide too much here and remain competitive. I also do not see a no AJ scenario where it would not be a backslide and the chances of Flowers being an upgrade are rather slim IMHO.

I agree that Tyler probably won't be an upgrade or even play as good as AJ. I personally think he's going to be a lot worse. But I disagree when you say this move indicates Jerry and KW's gut on the state of the team going into next year. You may be able to allocate that money on a younger guy or on a 3B.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)

The problem you're over-looking is that retaining AJ will also be a downgrade at the position. The guy just had a career year as a 35 year old catcher and will not come close to those numbers next year. No matter who we go with, we'll be getting less production at catcher than we did this past season.

AJ is one of my all-time favorites and I consider him the smartest on-field player I've seen in my entire life. Unfortunately, he's approaching the age where rapid regression becomes likely. Do I think he'll be the better offensive player over Flowers next year? Sure, but it will be closer than a lot of people think IMO. Plus I think Flowers is the better overall defensive player and game caller right now. Throw in the big salary difference and the fact that Flowers' value diminishes each year he's not a starter and it's clear who I think should get the job in 2013.

Maybe AJ falls back into the White Sox price range. Flowers really scares me offensively. The power is nice, but everything else has been bad.

The strikeouts scare me. One thing I have never understood about sabermetrics is how little strikeouts mean offensively, yet the value they have for pitchers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
Maybe AJ falls back into the White Sox price range. Flowers really scares me offensively. The power is nice, but everything else has been bad.

The strikeouts scare me. One thing I have never understood about sabermetrics is how little strikeouts mean offensively, yet the value they have for pitchers.

I do think that AJ is being priced back into the Sox equation where it's going to make sense for them to re-sign AJ.