AJ Talk

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
Flowers will not get you a "top prospect 3B'.

And I don't think AJ is worth 3/24, nor do I think that any team will give him 3 years. The Sox may indeed sign AJ, as it seems few teams are on him right now, but only if the market really dries up and they can get him cheap on a 1+1 type deal in terms of years.

if they can't get him for that cheap, I'd rather not get him at all. I hate to say that because I love AJ, but, he's likely to go back to career norms or lower with the bat in 2013, and his defense is declining.

Mets need a catcher, we have a young catcher (perhaps looking for time if we resign AJP) and they have three thirdbaseman in their top 20 prospects (not sure how up to date the list is in their website) ...I just see a deal possible. We all know Hahn doesn't want AJ back but if the team continues to send off fan favorites without even offering them contracts (see MB to Marlins) the Sox can continue to wonder why the attendance isn't better even when the team is winning.

3/24 I don't think breaks the bank and maybe it should be structured as 2 + option year at 8 per.

I just hope that if we do go with Flowers he learns to not strikeout as frequently as a lineup featuring Flowers and Dunn along with free swinging Viciedo and Ramirez along with Beckham and his struggles does not get me overly excited.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (warehouse41 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Sign AJ (3 years, 24 million), trade Flowers to Mets for a top prospect 3B that is MLB ready and that wold be inexpensive. With David Wright blocking the position for the next 8 years they should have some expendable pieces at 3b in the minors and they seem to be interested in Flowers whose power is great but I worry about the Sox adding another peice to the everyday lineup that strikes out all of the time in place of a fairly consistent contact hitter with some pop in AJP.

Judging by what Napoli got, AJ could get $24 million over two years instead of 3.

[That all depends on the thinking of new White Sox general manager Rick Hahn. Here at the MLB winter meetings, he might find a trading partner for a veteran catcher. If the market drops on Pierzynski, the White Sox might even consider bringing A.J. back.

“There’s still a chance of that. But yeah, I’m hoping not,” said a frank Flowers, who finds himself in a competitive pickle. He wants the best for Pierzynski, but he also wants the White Sox starting job.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...50528170263-914

While I can see where Flowers is coming from, it is kind of an awkward thing to say you don't want AJ back. Anyone else bothered by this?

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...50528170263-914

While I can see where Flowers is coming from, it is kind of an awkward thing to say you don't want AJ back. Anyone else bothered by this?

If he said that he wanted AJ to come back and start you'd be up in arms as well. Kid wants to play, I love it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
If he said that he wanted AJ to come back and start you'd be up in arms as well. Kid wants to play, I love it.

I don't absolutely hate what he said and I, like you, also love that he is really competitive. It is just...I'm not sure really, a weird thing to say publicly? It isn't a big deal, I just found it interesting.

Edited by IowanSoxFan

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)

And we all know AJ feels the exact same way and would admit so as well. They are both super competitive and Flowers is just being honest. I see nothing wrong with the comment.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
I don't absolutely hate what he said and I, like you, also love that he is really competitive. It is just...I'm not sure really, a weird thing to say publicly? It isn't a big deal, I just found it interesting.

It's a loaded question and he answered it honestly. I have no problem with his answer whatsoever.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
How's this for a better quote

"I expect to be the starting catcher for the White Sox next season. What the club does with AJ won't change that."

Then he'd be lying, because he knows that if AJ is brought back, it's to be the starter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
It's a loaded question and he answered it honestly. I have no problem with his answer whatsoever.

No problem at all-he sees what starting catchers make. Actually if we resign AJ, what trade bait Flowers would be-might be one of our best trade options for a good return.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Then he'd be lying, because he knows that if AJ is brought back, it's to be the starter.

Doesn't that say something about how he compares his skills to AJs? I like him saying he wants to play, I am trying to figure out what it means when he thinks he can only be the starter if another (better in his mind?) player isn't there.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Doesn't that say something about how he compares his skills to AJs? I like him saying he wants to play, I am trying to figure out what it means when he thinks he can only be the starter if another (better in his mind?) player isn't there.

Not at all. AJ is the returning veteran coming off a career year, Tyler is still the unproven youngster. AJ would be the starter, whether Tyler thinks he is better or not. There wouldn't be a competition for the job.

If AJ came back and went 0-60 in spring training and Flowers hit .800 with 10 homers, AJP would be starting. The quote was probably phrased a little awkwardly, but it really was harmless. I like that Flowers thinks he should be a regular catcher. If he gets the opportunity, he will have to show it on the field.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
If AJ came back and went 0-60 in spring training and Flowers hit .800 with 10 homers, AJP would be starting. The quote was probably phrased a little awkwardly, but it really was harmless. I like that Flowers thinks he should be a regular catcher. If he gets the opportunity, he will have to show it on the field.

Exactly. Flowers knows that if AJ is brought back it is to be the starter. He also knows from experience that if AJ is around he will want to be starting every game. AJ does not like to sit out. He catches as much if not more than almost any other catcher. Flowers knows that he will play less with AJ around than with almost any other starter.

One of the many reasons that I do not believe that AJP will be brought back is the need to diminish his workload. AJP would almost surely balk at this notion, but for the betterment of the club it would almost have to be somewhere around a 100 - 60 game split over the 140 - 20 game split we've seen in the past. Even if AJP still feels he can catch every game I want someone else out there who is better defensively and at throwing. JMHO.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
One of the many reasons that I do not believe that AJP will be brought back is the need to diminish his workload. AJP would almost surely balk at this notion, but for the betterment of the club it would almost have to be somewhere around a 100 - 60 game split over the 140 - 20 game split we've seen in the past. Even if AJP still feels he can catch every game I want someone else out there who is better defensively and at throwing. JMHO.

I don't buy that. AJ doesn't make out the line up card. If they wanted him to rest more, he would rest more, especially at his advancing age. I think it is a budget thing as well as trying to project AJ's performance moving forward, and they feel, although I disagree, they have a capable replacement in house. IMO, Tyler is a good back up who is probably capable of playing 60-75 games a year. I think he will really get exposed if he ever gets anywhere near AJ's workload. Catchers take a beating, and it hurts them offensively, especially later in the season. Flowers hasn't experienced that at the MLB level.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
I don't buy that. AJ doesn't make out the line up card. If they wanted him to rest more, he would rest more, especially at his advancing age. I think it is a budget thing as well as trying to project AJ's performance moving forward, and they feel, although I disagree, they have a capable replacement in house.

Part of it could be that AJP is such a huge pain in the b*** on the bench that Robin prefers him out on the field.

This could be a good way to ease Flowers into more of a full time role in 2014 though and to see if he would hit more consistantly with more playing time. AJP however, sounds like the type that would never go for this unless he knew that his health is giving out and age is catching (pun intended) up to him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
I don't buy that. AJ doesn't make out the line up card. If they wanted him to rest more, he would rest more, especially at his advancing age. I think it is a budget thing as well as trying to project AJ's performance moving forward, and they feel, although I disagree, they have a capable replacement in house. IMO, Tyler is a good back up who is probably capable of playing 60-75 games a year. I think he will really get exposed if he ever gets anywhere near AJ's workload. Catchers take a beating, and it hurts them offensively, especially later in the season. Flowers hasn't experienced that at the MLB level.

Why would AJ come back here to take a diminished role?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Why would AJ come back here to take a diminished role?

He would get paid, and would be somewhere he is comfortable. His role would only be diminished if his performance warranted it diminished. I just don't get where anyone gets the idea AJ tells management he's not taking a day off. I guess it is all part of the campaign to prove he is a tool. Throw out as much garbage as you can and see if it sticks.

AJ has saved the White Sox at least 25 starts by back up catchers every year. If you look at some of his back ups over the years, that was pretty huge.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
He would get paid, and would be somewhere he is comfortable. His role would only be diminished if his performance warranted it diminished. I just don't get where anyone gets the idea AJ tells management he's not taking a day off. I guess it is all part of the campaign to prove he is a tool. Throw out as much garbage as you can and see if it sticks.

AJ has saved the White Sox at least 25 starts by back up catchers every year. If you look at some of his back ups over the years, that was pretty huge.

I'm not going to say that money doesn't matter to AJ. Obviously that's going to be one of the factors that he considers when he finally signs somewhere. But, to me it seems like how much he would get to play would be a huge factor for him. He's not going to take a huge pay cut to go somewhere so he can play 90% of the time. However, if it came down to $1MM or $2MM and playing 70% of the time or 90% of the time, I would think he might sacrifice a little money to get more playing time.

And I agree with you about AJ being in control of when he plays. He doesn't make the lineups, and I don't think he's telling the manager when he should be playing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)

But if he wants to get paid, AND play 140 games, which all indications are he does, why would he come back here.