AJ Talk

southsider2k5

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing about losing AJP if the Sox do indeed lose him, will be the games the Sox play against him. As we all know, he's an amazingly likeable player when he is on your team. His antics in the 2005 postseason were legendary as he did everything possible to help us win games.

But I'm going to hate people on this board turning on AJ, especially if he signs in our division and we play 18 games against him. You know he's going to want to beat the Sox so badly and he's going to do crazy s*** that infuriates our fan base.

I pray he goes to the Dodgers or somewhere in the NL where we only see him a couple games.

I can't believe at this point of his career AJ doesn't want to give the Sox a discount and play here 2-3 more years, then hang up his glove and remain in Chicago as a broadcaster/media guy. You know he'd be perfect at that. He should be one of those guys like Buehrle that retires as a Sox.

Don't you agree it's going to be so annoying on here seeing our fans burying AJP if we play him 18 times??? It's going to be dreadful.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
The worst thing about losing AJP if the Sox do indeed lose him, will be the games the Sox play against him. As we all know, he's an amazingly likeable player when he is on your team. His antics in the 2005 postseason were legendary as he did everything possible to help us win games.

But I'm going to hate people on this board turning on AJ, especially if he signs in our division and we play 18 games against him. You know he's going to want to beat the Sox so badly and he's going to do crazy s*** that infuriates our fan base.

I pray he goes to the Dodgers or somewhere in the NL where we only see him a couple games.

I can't believe at this point of his career AJ doesn't want to give the Sox a discount and play here 2-3 more years, then hang up his glove and remain in Chicago as a broadcaster/media guy. You know he'd be perfect at that. He should be one of those guys like Buehrle that retires as a Sox.

Don't you agree it's going to be so annoying on here seeing our fans burying AJP if we play him 18 times??? It's going to be dreadful.

None of the other four teams in the division need an everyday catcher, so he isn't gonna face the Sox 18 times. Maybe 6-8 games if he signed with like the Yankees.

Greg, this is a business. AJ is catcher on the wrong side of 35 who is coming off of a career year just as he hits free agency. If he's going to make a big score it's now or never. You say that you can't believe he'd not want to give the Sox a discount. I can't think of one single reason he should.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 12:51 AM)
Greg, this is a business. AJ is catcher on the wrong side of 35 who is coming off of a career year just as he hits free agency. If he's going to make a big score it's now or never. You say that you can't believe he'd not want to give the Sox a discount. I can't think of one single reason he should.

He's given the Sox discounts on like 3 different occasions. It's time for him to cash in and time for the Sox to move on. I loved AJ and appreciate him for what he did, but at some point they need to start developing a new catcher, and there's no time better than now.

He is tolerated on his team not likable in any stretch of the imagination. The only reason he will give the sox a discount is because he knows he will be tolerated here. I think he is gone unless he cannot get interest from another team or he gives the Sox a deep discount.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
He is tolerated on his team not likable in any stretch of the imagination. The only reason he will give the sox a discount is because he knows he will be tolerated here. I think he is gone unless he cannot get interest from another team or he gives the Sox a deep discount.

PTATC; as others here have expressed I really appreciated your knowledge of injuries, rehab, etc. You seem to have some inside knowledge of players as well and I'm just wondering if you actually treat Sox players in your practice, or do you have friends within the Sox organization who share with you some of the personalities involved.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
PTATC; as others here have expressed I really appreciated your knowledge of injuries, rehab, etc. You seem to have some inside knowledge of players as well and I'm just wondering if you actually treat Sox players in your practice, or do you have friends within the Sox organization who share with you some of the personalities involved.

The AJ hatred is overblown. I've seen AJ out on the town with teammates several times. In the same SI article I am posting Adam Dunn said he is no more a d--- than anyone else. Here's what JJ Putz had to say:

Playing against him for so long, he was probably one of my least liked guys," said Diamondbacks closer J.J. Putz, of his mindset prior to signing with the White Sox for the 2010 season. "Then my locker was right next to his, and after that he became one of my favorite teammates ever. He's not a baby, but just a guy who is so passionate that he doesn't hold anything back. Until you play with him, you have a misperception of what he is."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
Jake Peavy ‏@JakePeavy_44

“@thereezmeister: What do u think about AJ possibly signing with the Yankees?”

Wish him well if that's the case!

The Yankees can't get Keppinger or Chavez. I wonder if they are even willing to pay AJ what he made in 2012. His has been the most quiet market. And now the Yankees are rumored to have offered Youk $12 million for 1 year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)

I don't currently work in MLB but have in the past. I still have many friends who do. The comments on AJ are from personal past experience.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
The AJ hatred is overblown. I've seen AJ out on the town with teammates several times. In the same SI article I am posting Adam Dunn said he is no more a d--- than anyone else. Here's what JJ Putz had to say:

Playing against him for so long, he was probably one of my least liked guys," said Diamondbacks closer J.J. Putz, of his mindset prior to signing with the White Sox for the 2010 season. "Then my locker was right next to his, and after that he became one of my favorite teammates ever. He's not a baby, but just a guy who is so passionate that he doesn't hold anything back. Until you play with him, you have a misperception of what he is."

You notice these are comments from players who have limited time with him. There are always a few guys who get along with everyone for a night out. The fact that players need to go out of their way to defend him says alot. He's a really good player and they want him on their side.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
You notice these are comments from players who have limited time with him. There are always a few guys who get along with everyone for a night out. The fact that players need to go out of their way to defend him says alot. He's a really good player and they want him on their side.

Plus if he really is that big of a asshole, he'd be the type of person you'd say nice stuff about publicly, just so you don't become one of his targets.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)

Putz was with AZ when he said it, so I don't understand why he would say anything if he just hated the guy. David Ortiz loves him and has known him since the minor leagues. I've seen him out with Paulie and Jermaine Dye, they played with him for years. Maybe you or someone you know had a bad experience with him. It doesn't mean everyone hates him. He plays in a matter that agitates the opponent. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I've never met him and maybe I would hate him if I knew him, but there are plenty of people who do apparently like him and liked having him as a teammate.

Edited by Dick Allen