White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
Supposedly Youk is almost ready to make a decision.

Dick, I get the feeling that Cleveland really wants him. It doesn't make sense though that they would go after Victorino and sign Youkilis and then turn around and try to deal Cabrera and Choo.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Dick, I get the feeling that Cleveland really wants him. It doesn't make sense though that they would go after Victorino and sign Youkilis and then turn around and try to deal Cabrera and Choo.

He is from Ohio, and is familiar with Francona. I agree, if all the reports are true, it is hard to figure out Cleveland.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
At least for 2013, bringing up Sanchez is questionable at best. Everyone complains when the Sox rush their prospects, but they always want the Sox to rush their prospects.

And Sanchez is farther than people here think, imo. He may replace Escobar this season, but if he's starting on the regular, we'll be in trouble.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/ba..._medium=twitter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — With a market that is bereft of available third basemen, and given the fact that he can fit a team in search of a starter at either corner infield position and that he will not cost a draft pick to sign, Kevin Youkilis is attracting interest from a number of teams. According to multiple industry sources, he has multiple contract offers on the table.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
At least for 2013, bringing up Sanchez is questionable at best. Everyone complains when the Sox rush their prospects, but they always want the Sox to rush their prospects.

You're right. He does seem like the type of player that might adjust to the jump quicker than others. It's not ideal, but there don't seem to be many viable options.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Sanchez's optimal value is as a SS, he should not be moved to another position.

I personally worry less about the opportunity cost of rushing prospects or changing their positions..when I see contracts out there like what Victorino just got in Boston. This will come off as wildly basic, but I want my organization's ready talent on the field if and when we've made the decision to be 'win now'.

I'm at least open to Sanchez being ready, and being a 2b. Keeping flexible (because of what we frankly are right now...a team losing production at catcher and maybe 3b unless other things change)

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
I personally worry less about the opportunity cost of rushing prospects or changing their positions..when I see contracts out there like what Victorino just got in Boston. This will come off as wildly basic, but I want my organization's ready talent on the field if and when we've made the decision to be 'win now'.

I'm at least open to Sanchez being ready, and being a 2b. Keeping flexible (because of what we frankly are right now...a team losing production at catcher and maybe 3b unless other things change)

Do you think he's going to be better than Beckham in 2013, though? I don't -- I think they'll both play great defense and be below average offensively. I'd give Beckham (who has a higher ultimate ceiling, but a smaller chance to hit it) one more shot to avoid the non-tender and try to cobble something together at third. I think that's the best shot at winning in 2013 and it has the added benefit of probably being best for Sanchez in the long-term.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)

If he's ready bring him up at SS and deal Ramirez.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
See, now this move would be a net negative. Rookie SS, bad second baseman, bad 3rd baseman vs. Rookie 2nd baseman, and good SS, bad 3rd baseman

Depends on who else you bring in and what Ramirez is dealt for. I tend to agree, but there are situations where I could see it working.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
See, now this move would be a net negative. Rookie SS, bad second baseman, bad 3rd baseman vs. Rookie 2nd baseman, and good SS, bad 3rd baseman

Ramirez is likely in decline If they have the opportunity to trade him they should.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Ramirez is likely in decline If they have the opportunity to trade him they should.

I don't see any takers with the year he had last year. Generally speaking, he was awful, and I've been an Alexei fan since he's come to the team. But batting .265 with 9 HR's and a .287 OBP aint getting it done for me, despite the solid D at SS.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Sanchez's optimal value is as a SS, he should not be moved to another position.

The problem is that Sanchez is not really a SS. Based on all the scouting reports I've read, his defensive projects to be very good at 2B, but passable at best at SS. If the guy was a legit SS propsect, he'd be playing there almost everyday, but I can tell you from following him closely that isn't the case. The guy is a true 2B, both offensively and defensively.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Olney retweeted Mark Feinsand's tweet saying Youk to Yankees is unlikely, and Keppinger seems to be the hottest target right now.

Good deal. I am really hoping we bring Youk back. While he may not be a great option, IMO he is the best option of whats available

.235 with 19 HR's is not worth much to me. Really I think if Morel was healthy we could get something something similar? Certainly it's not completely crazy to think he could do it, as awful as he was last year. But his September of 2011 showed something at least. I don't like the idea of putting any cash towards Youk right now when he's expecting $6-8M per year or perhaps more? I am not sure what the market is going to bear.

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere but an interesting article about Morel:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws