White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

Why are the Dodgers interested in trading him? They have already spent do much damn money, why would his contract bother them? Is there someone they have in mind to replace him in the OF?

Olney tweeted on Oct 29 that the Dodgers are open in trading Ethier. Not sure why that is the case. I've always been a fan of his.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't really thought about this a ton, but one really does cover some bases by getting a guy in place who could perhaps handle some LF and then switch to 1B if you get PK-deterioration

Dayan also kind of fits that bill, although what a great arm to be wasting at first base. On a really amazing team though, unquestionably Dayan is a 1B (or not on it, hah).

Trading Rios is not all that crazy sounding when you consider (1) sell high moment (2) what Pagan got (3) what we could net ourselves by paying a little of that contract.....to a cheap near-contender that has prospects to burn

QUOTE (Sox1 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Olney tweeted on Oct 29 that the Dodgers are open in trading Ethier. Not sure why that is the case. I've always been a fan of his.

I like him also but he's not a $17-$18 million dollar a year player right now and he definitely won't be when he's in his mid 30's.

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)

Gotta love this writer. Says 'a prospect would be too much to give up' for ADA.....but we're supposedly going to be more than happy to take on whatever relief arms they want to dump.

Speculation fit for the recycle bin.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
I can't wait until they visit Fenway.

What a slap in the face to Red Sox nation. 19 games against Boston? Wow.

I won't miss Youk, but it's interesting that the Sox have no real third baseman. Kep should be more a utility guy.

I'm going with Pedro Alvarez. When he's on, he as good as anyone. Also, he and Clint Hurdle have had issues with his approach to the game in general, and hitting in particular. Hurdle was frustrated enough to talk about sending him to AAA last year. He's lefthanded and fills a position of need in 3B, even though he had some pretty bad defensive stats last year. He could eventually transition to 1b when PK leaves if his defense doesn't get better.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 05:59 AM)
But seriously, let's buy low on Mat Gamel. There were those rumors about him coming over for a Matt Thornton trade last year or 2 years ago. He is coming off an injury year, a year after he hit .310 with 28 HR, 96 RBI and only 84 K with a .912 OPS in 130 games in AAA. The guy has hella power, hits for average, doesn't strike out a lot for a power guy, and he plays 3B (although, not that well I've heard).

Gamel can't play 3b. He can barely move out there. He makes Ryan Braun look like Brooks Robinson.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 12:40 AM)
I'm going with Pedro Alvarez. When he's on, he as good as anyone. Also, he and Clint Hurdle have had issues with his approach to the game in general, and hitting in particular. Hurdle was frustrated enough to talk about sending him to AAA last year. He's lefthanded and fills a position of need in 3B, even though he had some pretty bad defensive stats last year. He could eventually transition to 1b when PK leaves if his defense doesn't get better.

I'd go with Pedro as well, just cause of the hype around him. Yes, I've bought into the hype. I don't think Pitt can trade him, though. It'd be like KC trading Wil Myers. Oh wait ...

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 02:40 AM)
Well the 3 team trade is official.

Reds get: Jason Donald and Shin Shoo Choo

DBacks get: Didi Gregorious, Tony Sipp, Lars Anderson

Indians get: Trevor Bauer, Bryan Shaw, Matt Albers, and Drew Stubbs.

Good deal on all ends in my opinion.

Terrible trade for Arizona, in my opinion

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
I could see that. Gregorious is gonna make or break this deal for them I believe.

With what they gave up, Gregorious better be an above average ML hitter. I don't see it right now though.