White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
I think the way they used Thornton last year (going through everyone other than him to close) suggests to me that they are not enamored with him.

I just think it showed they are interested in actually using the bullpen effectively, instead of handing roles out via seniority. I don't think his usage has anything at all to do with how enamored they may be with him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
I just think it showed they are interested in actually using the bullpen effectively, instead of handing roles out via seniority. I don't think his usage has anything at all to do with how enamored they may be with him.

I disagree. I don't think Robin or Coop trusted Thornton in high pressure situations last year and did everything they could to not put him in them.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
I disagree. I don't think Robin or Coop trusted Thornton in high pressure situations last year and did everything they could to not put him in them.

He's still considered one of the best LH relievers in the game. He has alot of value and I expect contending teams on paper to call for him very soon. I see us getting A or AA talent in return.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)

38 of his innings last year were high leverage, that's more than half. Unfortunately, the issue with Thornton wasn't that Coop & Ventura didn't trust him, it's that he sucked in these situations. He lost 10 games and had 4 blown saves last year, which shows that our manager kept throwing him out there regardless of the outcome.

I seem to remember Donnie Veal facing Prince Fielder and other tough lefties a number of times down the stretch in what used to be the signature Matt Thornton role. To me, it seemed like Matt wasn't the go-to-guy in those situations like he once had been. I guess that's what I was getting at. Maybe I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 06:03 AM)
38 of his innings last year were high leverage, that's more than half. Unfortunately, the issue with Thornton wasn't that Coop & Ventura didn't trust him, it's that he sucked in these situations. He lost 10 games and had 4 blown saves last year, which shows that our manager kept throwing him out there regardless of the outcome.

When you're the #1 or #1a lefty out of the pen for most of the season, not to mention being paid $5M, there's little choice but to use you in those situations.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
I seem to remember Donnie Veal facing Prince Fielder and other tough lefties a number of times down the stretch in what used to be the signature Matt Thornton role. To me, it seemed like Matt wasn't the go-to-guy in those situations like he once had been. I guess that's what I was getting at. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yep Veal took over Thornton's role at the end of the year with good reason.

On September 15th, with the Sox up 5-2, the bases loaded, and nobody out in the bottom of the 9th, Robin Ventura went to Matt Thornton to face Justin Morneau. This was a day after he used Thornton in mop up duty in the 9th of the game from the previous night. Morneau GIDP'd and Thornton ended up getting the save.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)
He's still considered one of the best LH relievers in the game. He has alot of value and I expect contending teams on paper to call for him very soon. I see us getting A or AA talent in return.

Unless this A or AA talent is something very good, I don't see how that jibes with your comment that he has "a lot of value."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)

I don't think the return will be much more than shedding salary though.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
I don't think the return will be much more than shedding salary though.

Then they won't trade him.

It's really that simple. If they wanted to just shed salary, they either would have done so already, or they wouldn't have signed Peavy.

Floyd and Thornton will only be traded if Hahn is happy with the return.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Then they won't trade him.

It's really that simple. If they wanted to just shed salary, they either would have done so already, or they wouldn't have signed Peavy.

Floyd and Thornton will only be traded if Hahn is happy with the return.

They want to shed salary, but nobody wants to take on Thornton's. Do you think they could get more for Veal or Thornton in a deal right now?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
They want to shed salary, but nobody wants to take on Thornton's. Do you think they could get more for Veal or Thornton in a deal right now?

Please for the love of God do not tell anyone what the organization wants. You dont have the slightest clue.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
Please for the love of God do not tell anyone what the organization wants. You dont have the slightest clue.

All due respect Baron, you don't have to be a genius to realize the Sox would like to shed salary. I think if someone called and said they wanted to take Danks off their hands, I have a strong feeling they'd listen.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)

Thornton's contract has looked better and better with every pitcher signed this winter. Mike Adams just got 2 years for $6m each.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
And how many teams were bidding on Adams?

bidding is an impossible term to prove, but the guy just had a rib removed, and was connected to many teams including the White Sox, Red Sox, Angels, Rockies, Brewers, Cubs, Nationals, Blue Jays, and Rangers over the winter.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)

How on earth do you know all these things? Your source must be really good.

*sigh*

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
All due respect Baron, you don't have to be a genius to realize the Sox would like to shed salary. I think if someone called and said they wanted to take Danks off their hands, I have a strong feeling they'd listen.

That doesnt mean you know anything for a fact. That's called an assumption. You know what they say about those right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
bidding is an impossible term to prove, but the guy just had a rib removed, and was connected to many teams including the White Sox, Red Sox, Angels, Rockies, Brewers, Cubs, Nationals, Blue Jays, and Rangers over the winter.

So those teams theoretically would take on Thornton's salary and give up something of value in return? I disagree. If the point is to get value back in a trade of lefty relievers rather than salary relief the Sox should put Veal on the trade block.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
So those teams theoretically would take on Thornton's salary and give up something of value in return? I disagree. If the point is to get value back in a trade of lefty relievers rather than salary relief the Sox should put Veal on the trade block.

How the heck did Donnie Veal become worth more than Matt Thornton?