White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
5-9 are up in the air if they will even be with us next season. Some of those pieces may be gone.

If Keppinger signing (versus other options) points to anything...its that we're about to prize not-making-outs way more than we have in the past. Not to say Keppinger is OBP king, but this and contact are the only things he brings to the table to warrant 3 years (over cheaper options).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

If the #chisox can clear money (look away gavin floyd), they will start thinking seriously about a big hitter, likely a lhh

I actually had a dream last night that we traded Floyd and deaza and signed Hamilton.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
I actually had a dream last night that we traded Floyd and deaza and signed Hamilton.

The only way they'd even begin to have room for that would be dealing Floyd and Thornton, and I just don't think that'd be a very smart move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
The only way they'd even begin to have room for that would be dealing Floyd and Thornton, and I just don't think that'd be a very smart move.

I like it obviously, my brain is dreaming it up. Lol

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
Why not?

Assuming $25 million for Hamilton, that commits roughly $81 million to the following players for both the 2013 and 2014 season:

Hamilton ($25 mill)

Danks ($14.25 mill)

Dunn ($15 mill)

Peavy ($14.25 mill)

Rios ($12/$12.5 mill)

That doesn't include extending Sale nor deals for 2013 nor any smaller deals already signed for 2014 nor any other additions the team may need nor arbitration eligible players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Assuming $25 million for Hamilton, that commits roughly $81 million to the following players for both the 2013 and 2014 season:

Hamilton ($25 mill)

Danks ($14.25 mill)

Dunn ($15 mill)

Peavy ($14.25 mill)

Rios ($12/$12.5 mill)

That doesn't include extending Sale nor deals for 2013 nor any smaller deals already signed for 2014 nor any other additions the team may need nor arbitration eligible players.

If Hamilton is only going to get three or four years I'd definitely consider it.

The new TV deal money is going to lead to larger payrolls across the game and $25 million for an elite hitter like Hamilton won't seem quite as crazy in the near future IMO. Look what average OFs are getting in free agency this year, things will only get worse in a year or two.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
If Hamilton is only going to get three or four years I'd definitely consider it.

The new TV deal money is going to lead to larger payrolls across the game and $25 million for an elite hitter like Hamilton won't seem quite as crazy in the near future IMO. Look what average OFs are getting in free agency this year, things will only get worse in a year or two.

Is his contract insurable? That's my biggest Q; you can't spend $30 mil a year on him then have him miss a whole season, either because of injury or other.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
Is his contract insurable? That's my biggest Q; you can't spend $30 mil a year on him then have him miss a whole season, either because of injury or other.

I assumed if he was kicked out of baseball his contract would be voided.

Injury risk is inherent with any big dollar players so I'm not going to get too worked about that

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)

It'd be wiped out if he fails a drug test. He won't just get a suspension, he'll be gone forever so you don't have to worry about having him on the books for the next season and beyond. Only thing that would happen if he gets busted for drugs is the Sox would probably have a wasted season. Injuries might be an issue but 120+ games of Josh Hamilton is better than no superstar for 0 games.

I believe he's worth the risk.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

I wouldn't touch Hamilton with a 10 foot pole. Way too much baggage, always good for a hot month and then a bunch of meh. He was AWFUL the last few months of last season too.

Not to mention it's fair to ask how much damage he did to his body in his 20's. He could be a much "older" 31 if that makes any sense.

I have to think 162 games of baseball is far worse for the long-term health of your joints/muscles than wasting a couple years of your life on drugs. Once you've built your body back up to playing shape (which he has clearly done), IMO he just saved himself from a couple years of wear and tear. Mentally, maybe not.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
I wouldn't touch Hamilton with a 10 foot pole. Way too much baggage, always good for a hot month and then a bunch of meh. He was AWFUL the last few months of last season too.

Not to mention it's fair to ask how much damage he did to his body in his 20's. He could be a much "older" 31 if that makes any sense.

The baggage argument is a terrible reason for not signing one of the best players in baseball. I hate to analogize other sports, but brandon marshall had a ton of "baggage" and he's been an mvp type player this year.

Also, for someone who was "AWFUL" the last few months of the season he still managed to hit 43 HR, with a .930 ops. Hamilton's last 3 seasons have been incredible. He would be the best player to wear a sox uniform since Thomas. I would take him in a heartbeat.

Edited by Special K

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Rumor has it the Mariners may be front-runners for Hamilton and are offering 3/75. If he signs for 3 or 4 years, I'm much more interested, even at $25m per year.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
4 yrs/100 mil. Let's do it.

This is what I'm talking about. 3 years/$75 million seems like a no-brainer to me and even 4 year/$100 million may be worth the risk. I would never consider going past 4 years with him, but his elite left-handed bat would change the entire dynamic of our offense. Plus you wouldn't have to give up any talent, although we'd obviously have to clear some salary.

It opens up the door to trade rios or de aza. This line up looks juicy...

3B - Kipp

RF - Rios

CF - Hamelton

1B - Konerko

DH - Dunn

SS - Rameriz

LF - Tank

C - Flowers

2B - Bacon

Get rid of Floyd, Thornton, De Aza, and open up the purse strings.

Give me McCarthy in this pipe dream too. :P

I don't know if the Sox are actually looking at Hamilton, but it's funny how we (as SoxTalk posters) are talking about the Sox paying a guy $25 million a year. That is a ton of money, and I would be shocked if the Sox even made an offer. Personally, I think a 3 or 4 year contract at $25MM per is worth the risk, but I just don't see it happening.

Signing Hamilton would be a game changer. Not only how he would impact the lineup, but I think the Sox would be viewed much differently by the media.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
I don't know if the Sox are actually looking at Hamilton, but it's funny how we (as SoxTalk posters) are talking about the Sox paying a guy $25 million a year. That is a ton of money, and I would be shocked if the Sox even made an offer. Personally, I think a 3 or 4 year contract at $25MM per is worth the risk, but I just don't see it happening.

Signing Hamilton would be a game changer. Not only how he would impact the lineup, but I think the Sox would be viewed much differently by the media.

If you look at all the 'big' Sox contracts they are around 14M to 16M. I don't see Sox giving anyone 25M anytime soon.

It would be unprecedented, but it's an unprecedented situation -- when is the last time an elite guy had to settle for 3-4 years when he wanted 7?

Nothing ever happens until the first time it happens. Just sayin'

Anyway, I don't know how likely it is either, just mentioning that I would very much support paying the guy that much money if I didn't have to do it for his 36-39 seasons.

Also, I don't think we want him in CF. To me, it more opens the door for a trade of Viciedo, perhaps packaged with Floyd, or -- perhaps more likely -- a dump of Rios.

It opens up the door to trade rios or de aza. This line up looks juicy...

3B - Kipp

RF - Rios

CF - Hamelton

1B - Konerko

DH - Dunn

SS - Rameriz

LF - Tank

C - Flowers

2B - Bacon

Get rid of Floyd, Thornton, De Aza, and open up the purse strings.

Give me McCarthy in this pipe dream too. :P

I don't think it's ever happening, but if the Sox did sign Hamilton, they pretty much have to move Rios' salary.