White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 06:45 AM)
I don't think it's ever happening, but if the Sox did sign Hamilton, they pretty much have to move Rios' salary.

They've put Rios out there for suitors, not sure if thats for Hamilton though. I know for a fact he's been and being shopped.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
They've put Rios out there for suitors, not sure if thats for Hamilton though. I know for a fact he's been and being shopped.

I'm not upset about that at all. It is a big gamble to bet that he is worth his contract over those next couple of years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
I'm not upset about that at all. It is a big gamble to bet that he is worth his contract over those next couple of years.

Rios shocked me last year, he really played well. That said, his history of rotating good/bad seasons scares the hell out of me. I know current FA contracts are starting to make Rios' look better, but I still would move him if given a decent deal.

Checking around to see what he can get for Rios is a good idea for Hahn anyway. I was just pointing out that as unlikely as it is that Hamilton is signed, it's far more unlikely that Hamilton is signed AND Rios stays.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Checking around to see what he can get for Rios is a good idea for Hahn anyway. I was just pointing out that as unlikely as it is that Hamilton is signed, it's far more unlikely that Hamilton is signed AND Rios stays.

From a money standpoint if you could offload Floyd, Rios, Thornton and add the same cost you could add an impact bat.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Tribune says the Sox are dangling De Aza and Viciedo.

This, together with Rock's comments, solidifies that are players with any sort of contract are worth s*** on the trade market right now.

I'm getting pretty nervous that we're going to overpay for an impact player when we're already stretched on depth.

Granderson is the LH'ed hiter who potentially will be on the (trade) market who best fits the Sox budget 1y/$15M. For the Yankees to get in on Hamilton, they'll need to move Granderson's salary. He would come cheap in a trade, but I don't think Granderson's a good fit for the Sox.

I wonder if the Sox would trade De Aza, Floyd and a reliever to Boston for Ellsbury.

Granted there is a 99.999999% chance you only have Ellsbury for a year, but you would only have Floyd for a year. The Sox have several interchangable relievers and probably will sign another one or 2 anyway. You would basically be giving up controlled years of De Aza for one year of Ellsbury. I don't know if Boston would do it, but I would think the correct color would consider it.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't want to lose De Aza. <_>

Gonzo mentions the Reds are interested in De Aza, maybe we can get them to overpay for him since they were after both Span & Revere and missed out. Todd Frazier for 3rd base would be an interesting option?..

As a general statement, I don't like the idea of Floyd straight up for Saltalamacchia. That is a 180 IP starting pitcher for a guy who is going to get maybe 300 PAs. I even like Saltalamacchia, and would consider trading Floyd to Boston with Salatalamacchia as part of the package, but they need to include a prospect or two as well.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Gonzo mentions the Reds are interested in De Aza, maybe we can get them to overpay for him since they were after both Span & Revere and missed out. Todd Frazier for 3rd base would be an interesting option?..

I would still love Mesoraco from the Reds.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
As a general statement, I don't like the idea of Floyd straight up for Saltalamacchia. That is a 180 IP starting pitcher for a guy who is going to get maybe 300 PAs. I even like Saltalamacchia, and would consider trading Floyd to Boston with Salatalamacchia as part of the package, but they need to include a prospect or two as well.

For sure, but part of the benefit is the $.

Seems to me that with the new drug testing, a 4.00 ERA pitcher isn't worth what he used to be, so I dunno that he is the bargain anymore at $9.5 million that some of the more stats-oriented folks have argued in the past.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)

How would you use Salty? I think he would be redundant on our team. He's very similar offensively to Flowers. They both have the same career wRC+, 88. Flowers' advantage is that he's good defensively and over the next two years will be somewhere between $5M-$10M cheaper.

I don't think there is enough of a platoon advantage between him and Flowers considering the defense and cost to be worthwhile strictly at catcher. Flowers actually has a higher wOBA against RH with the Sox, and was significantly better against RH pitching when he played in Charlotte.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
How would you use Salty? I think he would be redundant on our team. He's very similar offensively to Flowers. They both have the same career wRC+, 88. Flowers' advantage is that he's good defensively and over the next two years will be somewhere between $5M-$10M cheaper.

I don't think there is enough of a platoon advantage between him and Flowers considering the defense and cost to be worthwhile strictly at catcher. Flowers actually has a higher wOBA against RH with the Sox, and was significantly better against RH pitching when he played in Charlotte.

I would bring Saltalamacchia in on the basis of never having too much talent. I think with regards to these two players, you are looking at two TTO type of players, which is both good and bad but they can prove to be good and extremely undervalued players. I also think, if nothing else, it provides some more depth as I imagine both Saltalamacchia and Flowers can play 1B in a pinch if needed. On top of that, I feel you'd always have a legitimate power hitter on the bench at all times too.

He isn't the ideal player to bring in, but I would take him so long as there was more that came in return.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
Some questions:

What teams are gearing up to be the losers of the Greinke derby?

What would these teams then have to offer us prospect-wise for Floyd? Perhaps it wouldn't turn out to be just Floyd going out....but just curious if there are any names I should know

Unfortunately, only one year of Floyd at $9.5M doesn't offer much surplus value. The estimate surplus value of a top 100 prospect is well over $10M, and Floyd is nowhere near that. Maybe the scarcity and high price of free agents bumps it up some, but the chances are low Floyd himself could bring back an exciting prospect. It saddens me as co-member of the Gavin fan club with wite.