White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Everyone knows Upton is available, so just by MO, the White Sox have inquired. But minor leaguers like what they would get from Viciedo are not what Arizona covets.

That's what my source says. The D-Backs want a major league SS, not prospects. They have been working on trades for Cabrera and Andrus but can't get those done. If your source was legit, he would know the DBacks would either have to be interested in Ramirez or De Aza/Viciedo/Floyd would have to be dangled to a team for a SS of Arizona's liking, as part of the package.

For a guy who wants nothing more than to re-build, stating that you would gut the Sox entire minor leagues except for one player for Justin Upton is beyond curious. And even if Upton was acquired, if he was anywhere near the player he could be, the chances of him and Hawkins playing together for more than one season, if that, are remote. He's signed for 3 more seasons. Hawkins is in the minors at least the next 2.

Gut what farm system? Trayce Thompson are you serious?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
My source gets held to a higher standard by the posters that don't like me. That's the way it goes on here.

Marty, I actually think you're an intelligent baseball fan. Unfortunately, the minute you came on here and claimed that Hahn would ever consider bringing back Guillen as manager, you lost all credibility of possibly having a real source. There are so many reasons Hahn would never bring him back, but let me just name three.

1) Loyalty to KW over Guillen

2) Hahn is a numbers guy, Guillen goes by instinct

3) Oney called him and other members of the front office "nerds"

Guillen will never be back with this organization as long Hahn & KW are around. If you are honestly suggesting otherwise, then you are some sort of troll, because you know too much about baseball to be this stupid about this particular issue.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Marty, I actually think you're an intelligent baseball fan. Unfortunately, the minute you came on here and claimed that Hahn would ever consider bringing back Guillen as manager, you lost all credibility of possibly having a real source. There are so many reasons Hahn would never bring him back, but let me just name three.

1) Loyalty to KW over Guillen

2) Hahn is a numbers guy, Guillen goes by instinct

3) Oney called him and other members of the front office "nerds"

Guillen will never be back with this organization as long Hahn & KW are around. If you are honestly suggesting otherwise, then you are some sort of troll, because you know too much about baseball to be this stupid about this particular issue.

When my source told me that Hahn thinks very highly of Guillen I was surprised too, but this is a guy who has been around them so he would know.

I do think the White Sox will get another OF. I haven't read through this entire post, is there validity to this Upton discussion or is it just merely speculation? I have been an Upton fan for a long time. He would be a great addition to this lineup. I'm assuming they can get decent chips back for a Viciedo deal which can eventually lead to a bigger deal.... It is interesting to say the least that they are floating both him and De Aza around right now...

Whats the latest with the AJ talks?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
When my source told me that Hahn thinks very highly of Guillen I was surprised too, but this is a guy who has been around them so he would know.

Who's your source? Not by name, but what relation does he have to the Sox? It seems to me people like to think they know something or are more relevant because they know somebody. I post on a football site all the time and I'll tell them exactly who my source is. I have a friend who use to coach for the Bengals and another guy who is a scout for Jacksonville. I use them as references all the time. They don't care. It's a fan forum, what's on here doesn't affect them.

Is you source someone in the Sox upper management, the clubhouse , serves Hahn drinks at the bar what. Legitimize it. Otherwise anybody can have a source.

I posted, I think it was prior to last year, using my frined who's a sports writer for the Columbus Dispatch as a source when the Sox and Reds were talking trade. He even put what he told me, and what I put on here, in his column the following week. Turns out he was wrong on all counts.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Who's your source? Not by name, but what relation does he have to the Sox? It seems to me people like to think they know something or are more relevant because they know somebody. I post on a football site all the time and I'll tell them exactly who my source is. I have a friend who use to coach for the Bengals and another guy who is a scout for Jacksonville. I use them as references all the time. They don't care. It's a fan forum, what's on here doesn't affect them.

Is you source someone in the Sox upper management, the clubhouse , serves Hahn drinks at the bar what. Legitimize it. Otherwise anybody can have a source.

I posted, I think it was prior to last year, using my frined who's a sports writer for the Columbus Dispatch as a source when the Sox and Reds were talking trade. He even put what he told me, and what I put on here, in his column the following week. Turns out he was wrong on all counts.

Ok, I just won't post what I hear.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Ok, I just won't post what I hear.

Well if you hear news from a legitimate source, by all means we want you to post info. All lemon wants to know its where your source comes from. Its a good question. Believe me, if this upton stuff is true- nobody will be more excited than me!

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
If you think I've made up the information how would knowing the relation my source has to the Sox change that? I could just be making up my source.

is there a reason you don't want to answer the question?

I wouldn't be surprised that Hahn likes Guillen. Guillen is very likeable from most accounts, as he has a personality that is very very rare to the game, in that you see him buddy up with non-baseball people(that is just not the MLB way). Ozzie always saw himself as part of the general populace.

There's slightly more than 0% chance he ever manages the Sox again, but it would not surprise me to hear Hahn is a fan. You get used to people when you're around them for years at the workplace.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
If you think I've made up the information how would knowing the relation my source has to the Sox change that? I could just be making up my source.

Whatever. I guess you could be. Maybe from now on, instead of saying my source, you can say my secret source. The mystery will make it more intriguing :huh .

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised that Hahn likes Guillen. Guillen is very likeable from most accounts, as he has a personality that is very very rare to the game, in that you see him buddy up with non-baseball people(that is just not the MLB way). Ozzie always saw himself as part of the general populace.

There's slightly more than 0% chance he ever manages the Sox again, but it would not surprise me to hear Hahn is a fan. You get used to people when you're around them for years at the workplace.

Hahn thinks very highly of his managerial skills too.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Has Rock's source every been right? What about yours?

Rock doesn't spill a ton of information, only that he hears certain things about certain players. And I'm fine with that. However, from what I've seen over the years, Rock's sources have been pretty good.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
If Hahn hires Ozzie to be manager again, I want him fired instantly.

Hahn is a man of numbers (or so they say). I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone, especially somebody who appreciates the numbers side of the game, finds Ozzie Guillen to have good on-field managerial skills.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Rock doesn't spill a ton of information, only that he hears certain things about certain players. And I'm fine with that. However, from what I've seen over the years, Rock's sources have been pretty good.

I don't know that it's any better or worse than other people's "sourced" information. Anyway, most of the stuff that gets discussed never happens, does that mean you have a bad source?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
Hahn is a man of numbers (or so they say). I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone, especially somebody who appreciates the numbers side of the game, finds Ozzie Guillen to have good on-field managerial skills.

If this were the case Hahn must really not like his current manager who is far more anti-numbers than Guillen.