White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)
Where are the make up concerns with him?

Hopefully it's Choo, and the Indians are just waiting on Swisher's decision.

Where the hell did the Indians get money to sign somebody like Swisher?

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)
Where are the make up concerns with him?

Hopefully it's Choo, and the Indians are just waiting on Swisher's decision.

I was thinking along the lines of health, position of need, and "tough".

If it were a FA, that would obviously be Hamilton.

Choo is interesting, but is there a make up concern?

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
They've been rumored offering Swisher 4/48-50 mil. They offered Victorino 4/44 before he went to Boston.

Why sign Swisher for a bundle of money just to get rid of Choo? Did I miss something outside of the rumors that leaked that they were selling everyone?

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
I was thinking along the lines of health, position of need, and "tough".

If it were a FA, that would obviously be Hamilton.

Choo is interesting, but is there a make up concern?

I don't know what type of teammate or guy he is. He had the DUI a couple years ago.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
I don't know what type of teammate or guy he is. He had the DUI a couple years ago.

Well that's interesting. Could be something, could be nothing. Certainly reason for pause.

For some reason I've never perceived him as "tough." I'm also not incredibly eager to lose Dayan's bat just to add his. Choo is better, but the marginal value isn't great. Would be interesting to see how we would shuffle guys to accommodate Choo as well as who we would need to send away.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
Why sign Swisher for a bundle of money just to get rid of Choo? Did I miss something outside of the rumors that leaked that they were selling everyone?

Not sure what they're going for in Cleveland, but it's been said Choo and Cabrera are available.

All I know is we need Hamilton and Bourn to get signed somewhere so the rest of the stuff can start happening.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
Why are we so insistent on speculating about OF'ers? I have to think that that is the last place we're looking -- unless we have a corresponding deal for a current OF'er for a position of greater need.

I was just going to say that. Utley makes the most sense to me by the description given. He's a grinder, and a risk since he hasn't been 100% healthy the last few years. I'd be surprised that the Phillies trade him, but maybe something along the lines of Rios + Beckham for him? I believe the Phillies are still looking for a corner OF. And trading Rios creates the hole that would need to be filled that was also mentioned.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
Why are we so insistent on speculating about OF'ers? I have to think that that is the last place we're looking -- unless we have a corresponding deal for a current OF'er for a position of greater need.

It's been mentioned couple time this offseason that our OFs are on the block, could be smokescreen I guess..

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
I was just going to say that. Utley makes the most sense to me by the description given. He's a grinder, and a risk since he hasn't been 100% healthy the last few years. I'd be surprised that the Phillies trade him, but maybe something along the lines of Rios + Beckham for him? I believe the Phillies are still looking for a corner OF. And trading Rios creates the hole that would need to be filled that was also mentioned.

Eh... I'm not sure trading Rios and Beckham for Chase Utley makes the White Sox better

That move would have to be followed by a Hamilton signing.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

Sounds like Jason Kubel IMO

If Dayan and DeAza are on the table (especially in deals for prospects) then we have enough to get him, and he'd make sense in LF.

Otherwise, if it's the "wanted for 5 years guy" I will guess Markakis. I looked at his contract & he's due $15M for 2013-14 with a $17M club option or $2M buyout. If the O's are thinking about moving him I bet the Sox are in on it.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
Sounds like Jason Kubel IMO

If Dayan and DeAza are on the table (especially in deals for prospects) then we have enough to get him, and he'd make sense in LF.

Otherwise, if it's the "wanted for 5 years guy" I will guess Markakis. I looked at his contract & he's due $15M for 2013-14 with a $17M club option or $2M buyout. If the O's are thinking about moving him I bet the Sox are in on it.

Both of them are LHH too.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than trade Viciedo for Jason Kubel

Nobody would do that.

If Dayan could bring back the right prospect(s) then you can deal the Rockies Santiago + or something for Kubel. You don't have to trade world beaters to get Kubel. He'd be a nice 2 year stopgap in LF if your long-term plan in the OF doesn't involve Viciedo.

Dislike of a player from his years on another club absolutely cannot stop you from doing what is best for the team.

We don't know if there is a move, or what other possible moves would be out there.

But it is pretty messed up to hate a guy forever because of HRs he hit against us. The entire point would be to add him and then he'd be on YOUR team. Problem solved

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Dislike of a player from his years on another club absolutely cannot stop you from doing what is best for the team.

We don't know if there is a move, or what other possible moves would be out there.

But it is pretty messed up to hate a guy forever because of HRs he hit against us. The entire point would be to add him and then he'd be on YOUR team. Problem solved

He's in another league now. It doesn't really matter much anymore.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
I hate Jason Kubel.

He would be underwhelming, but like Keppinger, at this stage it might be better for the long-term success of the organization to try to stockpile talent and at the same time try to run out smart money type contenders.

The Sox love to draft the uber-athletic OFers (usually K machines also) and seem to salivate over these types when they're out there on the trade market. Maybe they feel their next major window is 2 years away and Viciedo isn't athletic enough for them in RF. If that's the case, and there is a deal out there that brings back a young player or prospect that fits their ideal vision and time frame a bit better, then maybe they make that deal happen. Also, the Sox have a habit of putting cheap (especially speedy & rangey type) players in LF. Viciedo might seem to them as a LF who will be making too much money very soon and maybe they don't want that.

In theory, if you can add the MiLB talent to deepen the farm, use a couple MLB pieces like Santiago to get the more average types of players rather than the star types, and then sign the Keppinger types over the Youkilis ones, you're trying to tread water as a borderline contender rather than all-out rebuild, and when you're in a situation like last season, where the team is unexpectedly good mid-season, you can look to add and make a run without greatly altering the greater picture.