White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
His 96 OPS+ disagrees.

If you can get someone to give up anything for Viciedo, please do.

Braves seem eager to pick up an OF. Maybe they would be willing to pay/overpay for Viciedo. That or De Aza, if he is truly available. Hell, maybe you could even unload Rios to them if you sent along some cash, too. Just thinking out loud here since there is no real action to speak of with the Sox. Such an uneventful offseason. Anyone know what/who the Braves might be willing to part with?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
His 96 OPS+ disagrees.

Wow, you're really going to say a guy blows based on one full season worth of stats. I guess if you don't put up Mike Trout or Bryce Harper stats your rookie year then you're worthless and have no chance of improving.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Are the reports true that Swisher exited Chicago becasue Ozzie didn't like his showboat attitude?

I've heard it was more prominent players that he rubbed the wrong way. Ozzie obviously was one of the culprits, but there are several players that Ozzie hasnt liked that stayed.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
There was a point where Swisher would hit a homerun and not get one high five

That's a planned thing...but the thing is usually it's a prank that lasts maybe 30 seconds or so....not in this case

That is not true. As long as Toby Hall was in the dugout, Swisher got at least one high five.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
His 96 OPS+ disagrees.

Yeah, the Sox should use history to show them that 23 year olds that put up a 96 suck. We had to put up with Maggs all those years when his first full season 94 should have clued the Sox in he was no good, and Ventura's 83 his first full season was obviously a sign of things to come.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Yeah, the Sox should use history to show them that 23 year olds that put up a 96 suck. We had to put up with Maggs all those years when his first full season 94 should have clued the Sox in he was no good, and Ventura's 83 his first full season was obviously a sign of things to come.

I do sometimes have a hard time figuring out how some folks decide who is good and who is bad on this team. I think Mr Dick Allen has a better take on things for sure

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)

Explain Beckham's 23 OPS+ of 86.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
Explain Beckham's 23 OPS+ of 86.

Never happened. He put up a 106 OPS+ in his first year as a 22 year old. Based on the standard applied here, what you do in your first stint defines your entire career. Beckham is a borderline all star.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
The Cubs were also going to pay almost all of Soriano's salary. That won't happen with the SOx.

The report had the Cubs paying $10 mill of his remaining $36 mill. I think Rios is owed 25 mill which would be similar and he's a better all around player than Soriano.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
Who do you think would be the odds-on favorite to perform best over the next several years, Soriano or Rios?

If the team had the DH spot available I might well take Soriano. Rios gets 2 more years with this hitting coach to probe my doubts wrong, because we all know he has all star talent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
If the team had the DH spot available I might well take Soriano. Rios gets 2 more years with this hitting coach to probe my doubts wrong, because we all know he has all star talent.

You don't see any value in the flexibility though?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
You don't see any value in the flexibility though?

Yeah, but I'm trading that off against reliability. I'm that iffy on Rios. We all were last year, deservedly so. I'm gonna hope he finally has his head on straight and just keeps it rolling next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
Yeah, but I'm trading that off against reliability. I'm that iffy on Rios. We all were last year, deservedly so. I'm gonna hope he finally has his head on straight and just keeps it rolling next year.

Fair enough.