White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illitch is just going spend crazy because he wants a title before he dies. When he does (whether they win one or not) it'll be interesting to see what they do with all the long term contracts. Do they go full on fire sale?

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Illitch is just going spend crazy because he wants a title before he dies. When he does (whether they win one or not) it'll be interesting to see what they do with all the long term contracts. Do they go full on fire sale?

I wouldnt be surprised to see Dan Gilbert make a run at the Tigers if they are ever for sale. He owns about 75 percent of the downtown Detroit area.

Are the Cubs going to move Garza? It doesn't sound like it given that they are rumored to be in stealth mode on a few pitchers....

As for the White Sox, I think they are quiet, for now, because they simply don't have money to spend. Other teams are still mostly adding through free agency. Eventually, the dust will settle, and the White Sox will probably then be in position to make a move or two.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
Are the Cubs going to move Garza? It doesn't sound like it given that they are rumored to be in stealth mode on a few pitchers....

As for the White Sox, I think they are quiet, for now, because they simply don't have money to spend. Other teams are still mostly adding through free agency. Eventually, the dust will settle, and the White Sox will probably then be in position to make a move or two.

The Cubs won't move Garza until the deadline because he had a season-ending injury. He needs to show that he's healthy first.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
The Cubs won't move Garza until the deadline because he had a season-ending injury. He needs to show that he's healthy first.

It is the same spot the White Sox are in with John Danks. I think he would actually be #1 on their list right now with all of the lefty pitching we have.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
It is the same spot the White Sox are in with John Danks. I think he would actually be #1 on their list right now with all of the lefty pitching we have.

Except Garza's a free agent at the end of next year...so they also have to figure out whether they want to keep him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
If Sale stays healthy in 2013, and Quintana holds up, I'd be totally willing to see the Sox trade Danks next offseason.

I'd throw Santiago into that mix. If all 3 of them look like solid options, I'm in. I can live with 3 lefties in the rotation.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
I have a feeling Danks will be pretty useless as well. If his fastball drops to 88-90 he's probably screwed, since he's a two-pitch pitcher to begin with.

Oh no! Watch out for Danks' 77mph change!

Hope I've never been more wrong and he Adrian Petersons the league.

:unsure:

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
I doubt very much that Danks comes back as good as he was before the surgery.

Maybe so. But, I never fully understood just what the surgery was all about. Was it really really bad or to correct an issue that certainly bugged Danks but could have been pitched through? Anyway we all know that shoulder/arm surgeries for pitchers are serious business and you just don't know how they will respond. Where is Mark Buerhle when you need him? Oh yeah Toronto!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Maybe so. But, I never fully understood just what the surgery was all about. Was it really really bad or to correct an issue that certainly bugged Danks but could have been pitched through? Anyway we all know that shoulder/arm surgeries for pitchers are serious business and you just don't know how they will respond. Where is Mark Buerhle when you need him? Oh yeah Toronto!

I don't think he could have pitched through it.

There were questions about Danks not taking the next step in his development before the surgery. I have a hard time believing the surgery will vault him to the next level.