White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
All I want for Christmas is a good juicy trade rumor. I don't care if it is real or not. Anything plausible that has a uncertain source like Gavin's cousin's husband or Rich Hahn's cable guy. Anything for Soxtalk to discuss and start thinking about even if we all know it only has a small chance of happening. I miss KW already. Something big was always possible at any time with KW so the Sox could always be the mystery team in all of the rumors.

Besides, this would be a good time to notice my sig.

Hopefully Hahn is just good at working behind the scenes and we don't go back to the days of Schueler where non one is traded because they believe that our prospects are better than everyone else's and they seems afraid to trade anyone..

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Hopefully Hahn is just good at working behind the scenes and we don't go back to the days of Schueler where non one is traded because they believe that our prospects are better than everyone else's and they seems afraid to trade anyone..

Schueler sucked. Period.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Andre Ethier is supposedly available. The problem with him is for every positive there is a negative, although he probably would be pretty productive for a few years.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, he's the guy I want. He kills right handed pitching, and he's not a one dimensional player.

He gives you high average and OBP, plays good defense, and most importantly, he is that left handed bat that could be the number 3 hitter. I just can't accept Dunn in that spot.

As it stands now, the 6, 7, 8 and 9 hitters are all coming of a season in which they had a sub .300 OBP vs. RHP. That is not going to cut it, and Dunn's .211 average in the middle of the order, even against RHP, doesn't help, despite all of the homers.

The line up actually looks pretty good against lefties, but that is over shadowed by the lower half of the line up vs. righties, which is what you face most of the time.

I wonder how much better Ethier's home run production would be at the Cell.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Andre Ethier is supposedly available. The problem with him is for every positive there is a negative, although he probably would be pretty productive for a few years.

Indications are that he isn't being shopped, but teams are asking about him.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
As I said a couple of weeks ago, he's the guy I want. He kills right handed pitching, and he's not a one dimensional player.

He gives you high average and OBP, plays good defense, and most importantly, he is that left handed bat that could be the number 3 hitter. I just can't accept Dunn in that spot.

As it stands now, the 6, 7, 8 and 9 hitters are all coming of a season in which they had a sub .300 OBP vs. RHP. That is not going to cut it, and Dunn's .211 average in the middle of the order, even against RHP, doesn't help, despite all of the homers.

The line up actually looks pretty good against lefties, but that is over shadowed by the lower half of the line up vs. righties, which is what you face most of the time.

I wonder how much better Ethier's home run production would be at the Cell.

That's all part of the positive/negative with him. He doesn't hit lefthanders at all. His defense really isn't that good, although it has improved some, and Dodgers Stadium is a pitcher's park but his career splits are far better at home than on the road. You could really make a great case to trade for him and make a great case to stay away.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
That's all part of the positive/negative with him. He doesn't hit lefthanders at all. His defense really isn't that good, although it has improved some, and Dodgers Stadium is a pitcher's park but his career splits are far better at home than on the road. You could really make a great case to trade for him and make a great case to stay away.

The great case to stay away from him that you didn't note is his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
The great case to stay away from him that you didn't note is his contract.

True but it isn't THAT crazy of a contract considering what others are being paid, and new TV money is coming. But you would have to wonder why the Dodgers would trade him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
he'll pitch more than 53.2 inning next year :)

His name will remain "John Danks" and he will pitch using his left hand. Futhermore, I have a good feeling that he will have little to no hair on his head, and he will wear a cap while on the field.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Please, something happen with the Sox soon. Please. This thread is like a bunch of people trapped on a ship that lost its engine. We need food!!!!!

I know it's only a few teams making noise out there, but it does seem like the Sox are exceptionally quiet. It's like watching tumbleweeds blow across the computer monitor every day.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
I know it's only a few teams making noise out there, but it does seem like the Sox are exceptionally quiet. It's like watching tumbleweeds blow across the computer monitor every day.

They've been doing alot of listening but no moves yet. Our pitching for trade is probably only increasing in value and when some of the FA OF'ers come off the board we should be up there as options for teams. Swisher is a big domino to fall IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
They've been doing alot of listening but no moves yet. Our pitching for trade is probably only increasing in value and when some of the FA OF'ers come off the board we should be up there as options for teams. Swisher is a big domino to fall IMO.

Do you think the Sox are still looking to improve the outfield by trading one of Rios/De Aza/Viciedo? It seems like the Sox aren't in on the FA market right now, so I wonder what they might be trying to do.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Do you think the Sox are still looking to improve the outfield by trading one of Rios/De Aza/Viciedo? It seems like the Sox aren't in on the FA market right now, so I wonder what they might be trying to do.

Personally I think they are shopping for younger impact talent both pitching and at the plate. In all honestly trade targets isnt exactly a piece of information that has come across my inbox so not sure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
True but it isn't THAT crazy of a contract considering what others are being paid, and new TV money is coming. But you would have to wonder why the Dodgers would trade him.

The White Sox won't be a beneficiary of any new local TV money for a long time, their contract runs through 2019 (although the team ownership group is also a part owner of CSN, so the owners will pocket a fairly large sum). They will be in the game for the extra national TV contract revenue, but then so will every team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
The White Sox won't be a beneficiary of any new local TV money for a long time, their contract runs through 2019 (although the team ownership group is also a part owner of CSN, so the owners will pocket a fairly large sum). They will be in the game for the extra national TV contract revenue, but then so will every team.

It actually behooves the White Sox always remain competitive because they are part owners of their station. The White Sox are actually hurt by the Blackhawks not playing, and DRose being out, as studies have shown when the teams are playing well, not only does that increase the ratings and the cost to advertise their games, but that also spills over to the station's other programming.

And the additional $25 million a year beginning in 2014 will increase payrolls around the league, including the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen