White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
There has to be someone out there that would be better than Jack Hannahan at 3B. Hopefully this tweet is true and Hahn is trying to get creative, because settling for crap this early in the off-season is completely unacceptable IMO.

I always laugh when people use things like "unacceptable". Like they could enforce a consequence for the teams actions...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
I always laugh when people use things like "unacceptable". Like they could enforce a consequence for the teams actions...

Stomp your feet real hard and scream loudly maybe, but that's it. :P Let's hope we do something that makes sense and helps the team. I am sure Hahn isn't going to make a trade just to make a trade

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)

I can't force s***, but I will stop going to 30+ games a year if Brent Morel is our 3B next year.

Not sure what wrong with my statement, but please keep post padding.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
The Sox were still doing OK with a worthless Morel and then Hudson in 2011. Hannahan/Morel would be depressing, without a doubt but still an upgrade over the first half of 2011,

But the biggest mistake people make is assume they can expect repeat years from year to year.......from anyone. Thus, we need to upgrade wherever possible, because the drop off in production we'll get from--whoever, De Aza, Rios, catcher spot-- has to be offset at least SOME.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
But the biggest mistake people make is assume they can expect repeat years from year to year.......from anyone. Thus, we need to upgrade wherever possible, because the drop off in production we'll get from--whoever, De Aza, Rios, catcher spot-- has to be offset at least SOME.

That works both ways... Good and bad.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)

There is reason to believe several White Sox will be better. Maybe they won't . There usually are a couple of surprises both good and bad. I do agree, the roster still needs some work, and something will be done. They are serious about competing next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
That works both ways... Good and bad.

I suppose. Career years from CF, RF, C spots. Sort of a career year from LF, and an aging 1B.

We absolutely have to see 3B as a place to make some hey for whatever dropoffs are expected in those slots.

Really I just see SS as the place to get some bounce back from '12-- but not a ton.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
I suppose. Career years from CF, RF, C spots. Sort of a career year from LF, and an aging 1B.

We absolutely have to see 3B as a place to make some hey for whatever dropoffs are expected in those slots.

Really I just see SS as the place to get some bounce back from '12-- but not a ton.

If this team is gonna compete barring a major move, 2b, the bullpen, and te starting pitching are where they can get better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
The Sox were still doing OK with a worthless Morel and then Hudson in 2011. Hannahan/Morel would be depressing, without a doubt but still an upgrade over the first half of 2011,

We would have been a much better team with a legit 3B during the 1st half. Who knows how many games that cost us and if things would have turned out differently.

I'm a very optimistic fan and I honestly feel like this team will have a real shot next year with a few tweaks, but if we go into 2013 with another black-hole at 3B then I'll lose most of my hope. We don't need an impact player there, just league average production and Brent Morel has shown no signs of being even close to level of player.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
We would have been a much better team with a legit 3B during the 1st half. Who knows how many games that cost us and if things would have turned out differently.

I'm a very optimistic fan and I honestly feel like this team will have a real shot next year with a few tweaks, but if we go into 2013 with another black-hole at 3B then I'll lose most of my hope. We don't need an impact player there, just league average production and Brent Morel has shown no signs of being even close to level of player.

There just isn't anything out there at third that's worth the risk/reward.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Some NYpost thing

--Carl “American Idle” Pavano has changed agents once again, going from Tom O’Connell to Dave Pepe, who represents Pavano’s former Twins teammate Joe Nathan. He’s coming off an injury-plagued 2012 season and turns 37 in January, but he’d be a good low-risk pickup for someone. Possible fits? I say Miami, where he helped the 2003 Marlins get a World Series title, and the White Sox, whose pitching coach Don Cooper is one of the best.

This got lost in whatever was being discussed.

Pavano+Coop+Herm could = a good pickup. If it means we get a good piece for Floyd.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Signing Hanrahan isn't a terrible move given the market for 3B.

Signing the Pirates closer to play 3B for us might be a terrible move. ;)

In seriousness, Hannahan isn't a starting-caliber 3B, but very close. Given the lack of options out there, it wouldn't be a move worth getting upset over. His defense is very good, that's where his value is. He's definitely below average with the bat, but it's a third lefty in the lineup. I imagine he'd sign for somewhere around $1.5M on a 1-year deal and be worth almost two wins over a full season if Herm could keep him healthy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
There is reason to believe several White Sox will be better. Maybe they won't . There usually are a couple of surprises both good and bad. I do agree, the roster still needs some work, and something will be done. They are serious about competing next year.

I still think everyone is going to be surprised by Morel this year. He injured his back in SP and couldn't swing the bat with any authority. We still don't know if he can hit MLB pitching but it will be better than last year. We know he can play defense.

Saw the Red Sox are willing to deal Jacoby Elsbury on Mlbtraderumors...

Given that he is coming of an injury plagued season, and given the fact that he is a free agent in 2014 and they just signed Victorino, I could believe it.

Any chance the Sox could pry him away for Gavin and a reliever?

Would the Sox even want to do that?

Thoughts?