White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
Saw the Red Sox are willing to deal Jacoby Elsbury on Mlbtraderumors...

Given that he is coming of an injury plagued season, and given the fact that he is a free agent in 2014 and they just signed Victorino, I could believe it.

Any chance the Sox could pry him away for Gavin and a reliever?

Would the Sox even want to do that?

Thoughts?

Sounds like Rick doesnt really want to trade Gavin.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think that we do end up signing AJ to finish his career with us.... One could construe recent White Sox media communications to be positioning Flowers as a trade chip.

Floyd + Flowers?

:P

I love and hate this time of year when it comes to baseball.

IMO the Sox need to approach the inevitable Floyd deal as if it were instead their pick in the first round of the draft. Position be damned, get the best talent possible with hopefully a high ceiling and pretty decent floor. I'd much rather have a high ceiling position player in A- ball and a closer prospect just out of the rookie leagues then a couple s***ty MLB pieces.

Re: Hannahan, I'd much rather they do that then spend on Youkilis. The 3B market is looking ridiculously bad & Youk is probably going to benefit from it big time. I hope it is not at our expense. I'd much rather have a player I can DFA in May if I need to & also a player I can still look to upgrade over later on in the offseason than be saddled with another bad deal.

Also on MLBTR it says the A's aren't willing to get into a bidding war for Yunel Escobar. If I'm Hahn I'm trying to sell them on Alexei for nothing. If Sanchez is indeed the defender the Sox say he is (really? or bulls***?) then Alexei's contract is the one he needs to be replacing, not Beckham's cheap deal & he certainly doesn't need to be at 3B.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
I'm starting to think that we do end up signing AJ to finish his career with us.... One could construe recent White Sox media communications to be positioning Flowers as a trade chip.

Floyd + Flowers?

:P

I love and hate this time of year when it comes to baseball.

IMO you go with Tyler if you really believe him to be a 4-6 year piece of the puzzle. If OTOH you see him as the type of player you probably don't want to end up paying through the arb process, and more like a 1-3 year piece, then you bring back AJ & deal Tyler.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
Saw the Red Sox are willing to deal Jacoby Elsbury on Mlbtraderumors...

Given that he is coming of an injury plagued season, and given the fact that he is a free agent in 2014 and they just signed Victorino, I could believe it.

Any chance the Sox could pry him away for Gavin and a reliever?

Would the Sox even want to do that?

Thoughts?

No way on Ellsbury. The talent is there but Borass is the agent & he's getting huge money. Sox aren't (or at least shouldn't be) in "all-in" mode again.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Bucket.. So by saying rick has lots of plates spinning tonight, do you think by tomorrow Rick makes a move

That's like asking a circus clown if he is going to drop a ball while juggling during his next performance.

He has no ******* idea. The fact that he's got the insight to know that many things are in the air, is cool enough in and of itself.

Just my opinion, like everything else. :P

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
That's like asking a circus clown if he is going to drop a ball while juggling during his next performance.

He has no ******* idea. The fact that he's got the insight to know that many things are in the air, is cool enough in and of itself.

Just my opinion, like everything else. :P

Haha I know hi8is I was just getting a little greedy looking for more

Floyd for Salty, Salty platoon with Flowers (until one emerges maybe). Saves you $5-6M.

Use the $5-6M along with the other money they were maybe going to give Adams, and sign Youkilis. If they can't get Youk, get Keppinger.

Leave the bullpen as is.

Sign a guy like Jurrjens to compete with the likes of Santiago and Rienzo for the 5th spot.

That is what I'd like to see happen, assuming they really are pretty close to their salary ceiling.

One thing I'd like to point out is that we don't have a long-term 3B option in the system. So if we go with a guy like Hanahan, we basically get below average production at 3B for a year and then face the same problem heading into 2014. And let's be honest, the 3B position isn't going to be overflowing with talent in a year and it's going to take us at least several seasons to develop an in-house candidate.

Therefore, if we can't find a short-term solution in free agency, then overpaying for a long-term solution on the trade market may be the best route to go. Obviously that's easier said then done, but 3B is by far our biggest organizational need IMO and I'd be willing to pay a premium for a guy that can fill it for the next 3 - 4 years.

I assume the Sox aren't involved, but RA Dickey would be a great addition to the team. His acquisition would make me go insane with joy. And why the hell didn't we sign Soria??? A cheap 4 mill a year and just what we need. What's going on ?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
I assume the Sox aren't involved, but RA Dickey would be a great addition to the team. His signing would make me go insane with joy. And why the hell didn't we sign Soria??? A cheap 4 mill a year and just what we need. What's going on ?

Another $4 million/year reliever? We got bigger fish to fry Greg.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
I assume the Sox aren't involved, but RA Dickey would be a great addition to the team. His acquisition would make me go insane with joy. And why the hell didn't we sign Soria??? A cheap 4 mill a year and just what we need. What's going on ?

Former Royal, can't do it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:47 AM)
Another $4 million/year reliever? We got bigger fish to fry Greg.

4 mill is nothing. He could be the righthanded starter we need as it's been discussed that he may switch to a starting role. Doesn't even Lilly make 4 mill a year?? I think we missed the boat on Soria. At the very least I'd rather give him the ball in relief rather than Thornton and Crain.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
How come Rongey has left the board? He could be filling us in on rumors. I wonder what drove him away??? Come back Rongey.

Rongey would tell you about as much as we know. He works for the Sox. He can't just give out rumors, that can get him fired.

And can we all stop thinking Rick Hahn's behind everything? He's probably not.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
Therefore, if we can't find a short-term solution in free agency, then overpaying for a long-term solution on the trade market may be the best route to go. Obviously that's easier said then done, but 3B is by far our biggest organizational need IMO and I'd be willing to pay a premium for a guy that can fill it for the next 3 - 4 years.

I don't know if overpaying is ever the best route to go. Certainly not now, when the marginal value of a win for us is still fairly low. We have seen overpaying on the trade market and it means a team with mostly veterans and large contracts with little flexibility, like right now. You need some young, cost-controlled talent to build a strong team. If we overpay on the trade market with what little we have in the farm system to fill 3B, we are just robbing from a different position and our already weak minor league system as a whole.