Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Keppinger: I haven't talked to anybody about where I'm going to play. to me, it doesn't matter.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Hahn said K is 3Bman for now, but added he is not done yet piecing team together.

Must still be hoping for a real 3B to fall into their lap.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Hahn quote: "“Jeff adds a valuable & different type of offensive player to our lineup, combined w/ his ability to play quality defense at multiple positions as well as his overall approach to the game,"”

Ugh. This coming from the guy who, about Rob Mackowiak, was quoted as saying, "Everyone thought we got him as an insurance policy for Joe Crede at third base, but you know what? This guy can really play some center field.''

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
Keppinger: I haven't talked to anybody about where I'm going to play. to me, it doesn't matter.

Translation: Mr. Hahn told me he's trying to trade Gordon Beckham and to shut up until I'm told to talk.

They could have also just as easily guaranteed him both the most money and/or playing time out of any of his destinations. Beckham doesn't have a lot of value right now and I don't think there's any real point in deal him. Hell, if nothing else, Keppinger might be a guy that Beckham picks up a few things from with regards to making good, solid contact.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
They could have also just as easily guaranteed him both the most money and/or playing time out of any of his destinations. Beckham doesn't have a lot of value right now and I don't think there's any real point in deal him. Hell, if nothing else, Keppinger might be a guy that Beckham picks up a few things from with regards to making good, solid contact.

I really like that thought and hope that it comes to fruition.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Ugh. This coming from the guy who, about Rob Mackowiak, was quoted as saying, "Everyone thought we got him as an insurance policy for Joe Crede at third base, but you know what? This guy can really play some center field.''

Hahn said that?

This may seem like quibbling, but once a guy is put in a position of power and decision-making, it's not fair to go back and look at his quotes from a time where he didn't have the power, and was more just going along with decisions that those higher up made.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
This may seem like quibbling, but once a guy is put in a position of power and decision-making, it's not fair to go back and look at his quotes from a time where he didn't have the power, and was more just going along with decisions that those higher up made.

Not to mention that in this day and age, you have to take all public statements with a grain of salt. What was he supposed to say, Mackowiak sucks and I am certain my manager will use him to royally f*** over Brian Anderson?

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Not to mention that in this day and age, you have to take all public statements with a grain of salt. What was he supposed to say, Mackowiak sucks and I am certain my manager will use him to royally f*** over Brian Anderson?

If he phrased it as "This guy can really play some CF" that really sounds like a terrible scouting evaluation, so that would be worth hanging on him. If he phrased it as "we thought he could cover 3b and the corner positions, but we could use him elsewhere in a pinch, even CF", that's something even I could live with as accurate, and I think I'm still the angriest person here about that CF platoon.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 25, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Does anyone think that Alex Gonzalez would be a good bench/platoon guy with Keppinger? He's coming off of ACL repair but is healthy. He's 36 but can still pick it and hit for power.

Keppinger hits lefties much better than righties.

Despite his struggles against Righties, Keppinger still hits better against them than Gonzalez does. Alex Gonzalez is a pretty awful hitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 25, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
With all of the trade mentions for DeAza, I still wouldn't be shocked to see the Sox reach out to Figgins. If nothing else he could be competition at 3B if he can recover after getting out of Safeco.

With out looking at the stats, I would guess that being the type of player he is that Safeco didn't hurt Figgins that much. He's just not good anymore.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 25, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
With out looking at the stats, I would guess that being the type of player he is that Safeco didn't hurt Figgins that much. He's just not good anymore.

How does a guy go from being an all star to that useless that suddenly without an injury or positive PED test? I still can't figure that out.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 25, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)

If that is the case, Figgins is about as good of a test study as to why you don't throw $75m at Michael Bourn.

• 4 months later...