How or Why are you NOT a Republican OR a Democrat?

NorthSideSox72

Simply because I don't feel either party is a logical choice to be made. There is a massive spectrum of issues, some major, some minor, but in the grand scheme of things, all are important to some degree. To say you can agree on every last issue with a specific party is seemingly impossible, but that's not the say it couldn't happen...I just find it highly unlikely.

It's also important to keep in mind that over time, party opinions tend to change, drastic shifts in their "core values" take place and at times, a party my resist those changes and while they once agreed with you, they no longer do.

I don't care of you agree with 80% of what one party says...that other 20% is just as important as far as I'm concerned. It's a forced dismissal of a minority opinion simply out of necessity because of a corrupted/broken political system others built and we now have to deal with. It's making the best of a bad situation, that honestly shouldn't exist. When does it become ok to dismiss some of your views just to side with a party because it's the "lesser of two evils"?

As an example, I believe in abortion rights, gay rights (because it shouldn't even be an issue), but I also believe and live my life on a fiscally conservative basis...I don't agree with spending money you don't have or cannot repay via collateral, etc. (think of a mortgage or a student loan in this instance). Being a fiscal conservative in and of itself dismisses my association with either majority party right now...Democrat or Republican...since neither resemble anything close to being fiscally conservative. Republicans pretend to be when it's convenient...but they're not. See 8 years of Bush spending as evidence. And don't get me started on Democrats...I grew up in a Democrat neighborhood (Bridgeport, the home of former Mayor Daley), and I know they care even less about spending other peoples money. They won't even pretend, either. ;)

Whenever the action that would most benefit the nation is different than the action that is most likely to gain or preserve power for the party, each party consistently chooses the action that furthers their party, which is the main reason both parties suck.

For many many years I have considered myself an independent, probably with a leaning toward democrat. I have issues that I side with on both sides of the aisle and I dont like being told "your a democrat because you support universal health care" or "your a republican because you oppose abortion". I think forcing people into republic or democrat does not accurately reflect the political views of a great majority of Americans.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Registered Republican that voted Libertarian last election.

My dad is ultraconservative and I was raised a Republican. While I still hold some of their ideas, I have shifted towards the left on civil/social issues while still holding the fiscal side (although that has become a joke in the GOP recently). After reading some great economic/political books, I would definitely identify myself as a Libertarian or Classical Liberal.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (MAX @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
Neither one seems remotely interested in representing me, a fiscally responsible, socially liberal person.

Fiscally responsible and socially liberal is kind of an oxymoron.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)
Fiscally responsible and socially liberal is kind of an oxymoron.

Maybe that is poor communication on my part. Socially liberal to me does not mean an even bigger government, it means more social freedoms. I am pro-choice, for gay marriage and for legalizing drugs. I think religion should have nothing to do with politics.

Edited by MAX