AJ will not return to Sox

Big Hurt35

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
Flowers is our catching prospect. Sox fans want us to develop prospects then hate when we let go of a 36 year old catcher to let the kids play.

We have a few other guys in the minors that look like they'd be replacement level catchers.

This. Flowers was a top 100 prospect 2 years in a row before getting called up.

Can't gauge what kind of player he's gonna be when he's NEVER had consistent playing time in the bigs.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
The point is eventually using age as the reason he will be worthless will be correct, but there is a pretty good chance he doesn't fall apart in 2013, considering there was no slippage in 2012.

I think his inability to catch the ordinary pitch was alarming. I've never seen a catcher close to as bad as AJ was last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
The point is eventually using age as the reason he will be worthless will be correct, but there is a pretty good chance he doesn't fall apart in 2013, considering there was no slippage in 2012. It will be interesting to see how Flowers handles the bigger workload and the higher expectations that come with it. There also is going to be another 15-20 extra games we will see the back up catcher.

Giving AJ a one year deal was not very risky. What they do with the money is going to be the key.

We've already seen it. He was a bad defender, but last year he was brutal.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
Downgrade??? Catchers are about defense AJ's sucked lately

Let's see how Flowers' defense holds up when he gets as banged up as AJ got from playing everyday. Of course, Flowers probably won't be able to play nearly everyday like AJ did so we will be stuck with a backup catcher for more games this season than we have had over the past eight years.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
We've already seen it. He was a bad defender, but last year he was brutal.

He threw out more runners. He caught a bunch of rookies which made life hard. To me the Flowers love is based on an extremely small sample size of success and a lot of red flags. It kind of reminds me of the Josh Fields love in 2007 and the outrage when Joe Crede was the starter at the beginning of the season in 2008, and a little like the Lillibridge love last year. We will all see how Flowers fares,I just am real Leary about guys who have as much trouble making contact as Tyler does if he isn't going to hit 35 homers, and I don't think he can do that.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
Let's see how Flowers' defense holds up when he gets as banged up as AJ got from playing everyday. Of course, Flowers probably won't be able to play nearly everyday like AJ did so we will be stuck with a backup catcher for more games this season than we have had over the past eight years.

Flowers will be fine defensively. Seeing him and Dunn in the line up together on any regular basis with all those strikeouts won't do anything to help tv ratings or attendance.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
Yeah, the only way to possibly defend this move is from a business perspective. We just got a massive downgrade in a huge position of need.

Do we have any capable catchers in the minors?

Yes, Tyler Flowers

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
Some of you guys are acting like you haven't felt this bad since New Kids On The Block broke up. It's gonna be ok guys. Eventually everyone gets old.

THEY BROKE UP AGAIN!?!?!?!?! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY????????????

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
He threw out more runners. He caught a bunch of rookies which made life hard. To me the Flowers love is based on an extremely small sample size of success and a lot of red flags. It kind of reminds me of the Josh Fields love in 2007 and the outrage when Joe Crede was the starter at the beginning of the season in 2008, and a little like the Lillibridge love last year. We will all see how Flowers fares,I just am real Leary about guys who have as much trouble making contact as Tyler does if he isn't going to hit 35 homers, and I don't think he can do that.

Vs the AJ love for something that happened 7 years ago?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
I think his inability to catch the ordinary pitch was alarming. I've never seen a catcher close to as bad as AJ was last year.

It's true, while there's a decent argument to be made about his throwing...he dropped off big time when it came to catching and blocking balls. At times it was alarming. He looked either slow or lazy, at many times. Will probably have a chance to be an occasional DH in Texas

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)

At least Flowers has good defense on his resume'. Fields had nothing.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
The likely hood of a trade for a position player who hits LH just went way up imo

One would think that if this was really that meaningful to the Sox, A.J. would be signed here. One year would've been doable.

Instead it sounds like the plan is and always was Flowers, and that another LH bat is part of this next move, whatever it is.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
At least Flowers has good defense on his resume'. Fields had nothing.

I saw him playing for the Albuquerque Isotopes last year. Still has big power and can't hit a fastball.