AJ will not return to Sox

Big Hurt35

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Weekend? When was the last time the Sox made a move on a weekend in the offseason?

The one that stands out was the McCarthy/Danks deal. That was a Saturday night before Christmas in 06.

But they usually like to announce stuff when they'll get attention--which makes sense.

Reading reports on sites such as ESPN and MLB Trade Rumors leads me to believe we will not see AJ back as much as I want to see him return. Judging by the contract Youk got from the Yankmees and the one Russell Martin got I would think AJ has been elevated to a spot where the Sox can't compete finnacially. Sox supposedly had interest in bringing Youk and AJ both back but at their price and not the market rate.

Reading reports on sites such as ESPN and MLB Trade Rumors leads me to believe we will not see AJ back as much as I want to see him return. Judging by the contract Youk got from the Yankmees and the one Russell Martin got I would think AJ has been elevated to a spot where the Sox can't compete finnacially. Sox supposedly had interest in bringing Youk and AJ both back but at their price and not the market rate.

Assuming that AJ isn't coming back, the Sox should go hard after Michael Bourn. He would give the Sox a REAL lead off hitter, a left handed bat, 30-40 stolen bases, gold glove defense, etc., and he's only 28!

He'd also give us the flexibilty to trade one of our OFs, maybe for a REAL 3B or a REAL C and/or some bullpen help.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
Assuming that AJ isn't coming back, the Sox should go hard after Michael Bourn. He would give the Sox a REAL lead off hitter, a left handed bat, 30-40 stolen bases, gold glove defense, etc., and he's only 28!

He'd also give us the flexibilty to trade one of our OFs, maybe for a REAL 3B or a REAL C and/or some bullpen help.

Well, the FAKE lead off hitter the Sox currently happen to be employing, actually is younger than Bourn, slugged better than Bourn and got on base the same amount as Bourn and is about $15 million a year cheaper. He also bats left handed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Well, the FAKE lead off hitter the Sox currently happen to be employing, actually is younger than Bourn, slugged better than Bourn and got on base the same amount as Bourn and is about $15 million a year cheaper. He also bats left handed.

Knock it off the White Sox suck and every player should be moved. I was really surprised there was never a Floyd/Thorton/Reed for Ervin Santana thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)

I honestly don't care what Bourn's WAR has been, IMO he's incredibly overvalued due to his defense.

Also, he's a guy whose value is tied directly to his speed (SBs & range) and once that goes he'll quickly become average at best. I definitely don't want to be the team paying him $15 million a year when that happens. Plus as you point out we have a much cheaper and somewhat comparable alternative.

He did that ONE TIME! Beckham had a damn good rookie season too, look at him now.

Nice argument.

Intelligent response.

Seriously, you cannot judge a player's ability based on one season as a full time player. There are a ton of players that have had 1 or 2 good seasons and then sucked after that.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Intelligent response.

Seriously, you cannot judge a player's ability based on one season as a full time player. There are a ton of players that have had 1 or 2 good seasons and then sucked after that.

DeAza was a good prospect but injuries set him back. If healthy the DeAza of last year was the norm.

Intelligent response.

You are arguing paying a guy $15 million a year to bring the same exact skill set as De Aza. He could flop just as easily as De Aza. I'd rather run with De Aza.

You are arguing paying a guy $15 million a year to bring the same exact skill set as De Aza. He could flop just as easily as De Aza. I'd rather run with De Aza.

Bourn has been an all star, has won 2 gold gloves AND stole more bases last season than DeAza has in his entire career. If I was writing the check, I'd stick with DeAza, but, I'm not, so I'd rather have the better player.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Yeah, really. I want the Sox to succeed, and I want DeAza to be great, because he'll be the Sox' starting CF.

I wasn't talking about the Bourne/DeAza move, I was talking about the way you respond to posters.

I wasn't talking about the Bourne/DeAza move, I was talking about the way you respond to posters.

1. I called the poster "Nostradamus" because he was trying to tell me what DeAza will do IN THE FUTURE. No offense was intended.

2. I have been reading the posts on this site for quite awhile; calling someone "Nostradamus" is VERY mild as opposed to how other posters speak to one another.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
Bourn has been an all star, has won 2 gold gloves AND stole more bases last season than DeAza has in his entire career. If I was writing the check, I'd stick with DeAza, but, I'm not, so I'd rather have the better player.

If you attend games, then you are writing the check.

I don't mind the idea of a player like Bourn, even if it were replacing Viciedo, but Bourn is simply not going to be an option due to his pending price tag. $15 million is a ton for a marginal upgrade.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
I hope you're right, Nostradamus!

Please review the Guidelines of the board, specifically:

"Personal attacks towards other posters will not be tolerated. People will be treated with respect at all times."

Intelligent response.

You also can't make a living as a GM buying free agents at peak value on the open market when you have serviceable players under contract cheaply.