AJ will not return to Sox

Big Hurt35

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
If the Sox wanna compete with the Angels, Rangers, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees and/or Detroit, they have to spend more $ to improve the team. If they don't, then rebuild!

The Blue Jays payroll was $73 million last year. They've spent money this offseason because they've saved money in the past.

The Orioles payroll was $75 million.

The Rays payroll was $62 million.

The Athletics' payroll was $56 million.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox had one of the highest payrolls in the league and were the 3rd worst team in the league. The Twins had a $100 million payroll and finished dead last in the AL.

So, please, stop with this "they need to spend" stuff. I'd like them to acquire a big time bat, but there aren't any in free agency (that are clear fits on the team) and I'd prefer the save the money rather than spend it carelessly. If all they did was bring in one more reliever and they called it an offseason, I'd be perfectly content.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Payroll helps, but when you have a great thought process...there are still so many teams you can unseat

As with all things, spend the money you do spend wisely. Get a few strokes of good luck. ...and you're on your way.

Playoff time is chaotic. Thus, a team's goals really just need to be: (1) get into the playoffs (2) have a pitching staff (3) have an offense/defense people aren't jeering at.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
According to Phil Rogers, the Sox are offering AJ one year $4 million. They obviously don't particularly care if he comes back.

That's such a low-ball offer. I'd at least give him what he got last year.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
Alejandro DeAza is no Mike Trout!

Are you old enough to remember Mark "The Bird" Fidrych? Google him, look at his rookie numbers, then look what he did after. See also Kerry Wood, Dwight Gooden, Jerome Walton, Mark Prior, etc.

The prime example is "Super" Joe Charbeneau. THE ROY in 1980 I think. He won the ROY and was out of baseball in just a couple of years. I doubt it happens to Trout as it doesnt happen often. However, it does happen.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
Mike Caruso. He finished 3rd for the rookie of the year hitting .306 and was out of baseball 2 years later. Obviously, he's no Trout, but good rookies do flame out.

You can't compare Mike Trout to ordinary rookies. He's not ordinary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
According to Phil Rogers, the Sox are offering AJ one year $4 million. They obviously don't particularly care if he comes back.

I would think there's about zero chance he re-signs now. I think $4MM is low, but I wouldn't offer a ton more. Maybe 1/$6MM with an option for a second year.

I imagine he's going to sign somewhere for around $7MM-$8MM a year for 1 or 2 years.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
You can't compare Mike Trout to ordinary rookies. He's not ordinary.

You also cannot say everyone is going to flame out after their first good season, which is basically what Lamar Johnson is saying about De Aza.

You also cannot say everyone is going to flame out after their first good season, which is basically what Lamar Johnson is saying about De Aza.

I never said DeAza will flame out. I said (implied) that there's more of a chance that he will than Bourn will. Bourn has put up consistent numbers over a longer period of time.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

The Blue Jays payroll was $73 million last year. They've spent money this offseason because they've saved money in the past.

The Orioles payroll was $75 million.

The Rays payroll was $62 million.

The Athletics' payroll was $56 million.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox had one of the highest payrolls in the league and were the 3rd worst team in the league. The Twins had a $100 million payroll and finished dead last in the AL.

So, please, stop with this "they need to spend" stuff. I'd like them to acquire a big time bat, but there aren't any in free agency (that are clear fits on the team) and I'd prefer the save the money rather than spend it carelessly. If all they did was bring in one more reliever and they called it an offseason, I'd be perfectly content.

I'm curious...why would you prefer to save the money? Is it your money? Are you writing the checks?

IMO, Sox ownership owes it to the fans to put the best possible product on the field that it can, by whatever means necessary. And, if they're not prepared to do this, they should sell the team to someone who will.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
I never said DeAza will flame out. I said (implied) that there's more of a chance that he will than Bourn will. Bourn has put up consistent numbers over a longer period of time.

Personally, I think they're equally likely to flame out.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
IMO a 1 year/$4 million offer to AJ is insulting, and sends a bad message as to how some players are "taken care of" by ownership.

You have to offer something. Reason being, it's an offer...so the Sox are probably willing to do it for a little higher if it came down to actual negotiation.

And if by some insane miracle he signed somewhere for that or lower, you're basically idiotic.

He's been well taken care of here. Had his career resuscitated and made a lot of money as a Sox. Also pissed a lot of people off, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised that they see his power spree last year as pre-FA juicing....which puts the team at risk for individual goals (since a suspension would affect the entire pitching staff, the batting order's balance with lefties etc)

Edited by Jose Paniagua

I guess I just don't get the Michael Bourn obsession. He's barely got a .700 career OPS and will cost 12+ million more than De Aza. No thank you.

He is also going to cost about 30 X's as much as De Aza, plus a contract that runs four to five years long. There is also a really good chance that he flames out and becomes a Chone Figgins after his speed gives out. If your payroll is limited, you need guys like De Aza to balance out the bigger contracts.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
I'm curious...why would you prefer to save the money? Is it your money? Are you writing the checks?

IMO, Sox ownership owes it to the fans to put the best possible product on the field that it can, by whatever means necessary. And, if they're not prepared to do this, they should sell the team to someone who will.

The Sox owe it to the fans to put out the product that Sox fans are willing to pay for. There is a big difference there. Spending just for the sake of spending is dumb baseball.