AJ will not return to Sox

Big Hurt35

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I bet Flowers also draws more walks in the first half than Pierzynski has ever drawn in a single season

He might also strike out 4 times more. But if he hits twice as many home runs and draws twice as many walks, I can care less.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
Tyler had 12 BB in 153 PAs. AJ had 28 in 520.

That'd be 41 for Tyler in as many PA's, and Flowers had extremely choppy playing time...not totally out of the question, as last year was the most AJ had ever walked.

B) He's a LOT better than any catcher we have!

Can Flowers get the typical AJ OPS of say .750, when facing both righties and lefties for a year? Probably not, but also probably wont be astronomically lower than that. He also costs way, way less.

Then factor in defense. Then factor in that Flowers is cheap labor and a not-developing asset.

The choice is clear. AJ out, and you spend that money elsewhere.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Can Flowers get the typical AJ OPS of say .750, when facing both righties and lefties for a year? Probably not, but also probably wont be astronomically lower than that. He also costs way, way less.

Then factor in defense. Then factor in that Flowers is cheap labor and a not-developing asset.

The choice is clear. AJ out, and you spend that money elsewhere.

I honestly don't see why he couldn't.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
This kinda reminds me of when the Sox thought Karkovice was ready to replace Fisk.

Well, AJ's no hall of famer, and you can't just sit on Flowers forever. Gotta find out at some point, and that point is when AJ reaches FA.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
This kinda reminds me of when the Sox thought Karkovice was ready to replace Fisk.

Plus, Kark's first two full seasons he put up offensive numbers almost identical to Fisk's last full season.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Oops! And Flowers to Karkovice! I'm fairly certain Flowers is better than Karko ever was.

My bad.

I have no problem with the Flowers and Karkovice comparison. Flowers has a better track record but they have similar games.

Pierzynski to Fisk is a little outlandish though. You are talking about a good, durable starting catcher to one of the greatest catchers of all time.

I know someone mentioned this earlier, but I'd feel so much more comfortable having Flowers take over for AJ if the Sox were able to get a lefty back-up catcher that could get a good amount of ABs against tough righties. Having Flowers and Viciedo at the bottom of the order against the likes of Verlander, Scherzer, etc. is not the best of plans.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
One of the biggest factors in Bourn's large WAR last year was his fielding which, while I don't doubt was incredible, is also less predictable from year to year and loses a bit of its advantage in a smaller park like USCF.

He's a great player, he's just not worth it for the Sox.

He's only had an OPS+ of above 100 once. None of his offensive numbers, save stolen bases, are impressive. You put a ton of stock in advanced defensive metrics and his base stealing ability to find any value in him. He can shove that $15M up his ass.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
He's only had an OPS+ of above 100 once. None of his offensive numbers, save stolen bases, are impressive. You put a ton of stock in advanced defensive metrics and his base stealing ability to find any value in him. He can shove that $15M up his ass.

Great post...agree 100%.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Oops! And Flowers to Karkovice! I'm fairly certain Flowers is better than Karko ever was.

My bad.

Kark couldn't hit, but wasn't he an elite defender? Cannon for an arm. I'd take Kark over this version of Flowers in an instant.