Hamiton signs with LAA

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Think this has been mentioned, but there is NO language in hamilton's #angels contract related to his past issues.

And there shouldn't be. Like I've said if he relapses into DRUGS then all that will happen is the Angels will be SOL for that year. They'll get their money back because Josh will be gone from the league.

LAA is gonna be scary offensively. 3 legit MVP candidates, Morales should be healthier this coming up season and has the potential to put up MVP numbers, and Trumbo has dirty pop.

If they add another pitcher they should be the favorites.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
And there shouldn't be. Like I've said if he relapses into DRUGS then all that will happen is the Angels will be SOL for that year. They'll get their money back because Josh will be gone from the league.

LAA is gonna be scary offensively. 3 legit MVP candidates, Morales should be healthier this coming up season and has the potential to put up MVP numbers, and Trumbo has dirty pop.

BTW, Kaplan was on his show yesterday, and talked about the Hamilton story in AZ a few years ago. Apparently one of Kaplan's neighbors called him at 11:30 one night and asked him if his son could call him. His son calls him, the guy was in college at Arizona State, he said to Kaplan a guy started hanging out with them at a bar, was really muscular and heavily tatooed. Said the guy was trashed, and asked them if they knew where to get drugs. They told him they didn't partake, but he continued hanging out with them. They had no idea who he was until they googled him. Apparently Kaplan when he heard the story called Hamilton's agent. That was kind of cool, because he could have broken a huge story. Kaplan is supposed to be a really good guy, even if he is a Cubs fan. Kaplan said the only reason he would even mention it now is because Hamilton admitted to everything earlier. The panel was discussing whether they would sign Hamilton to a huge contract considering his past. They all said no.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

the union won't just let them dump a standard contract. I imagine he would have chances to go to rehab, etc., it could be relapse recover relapse recovery relapse recovery, and on and on, never enough to drive him out of the league but enough that he hangs around.

I do get your point, that there are probably some built-in protections for major relapse, but still surprised they didn't try to get something.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
the union won't just let them dump a standard contract. I imagine he would have chances to go to rehab, etc., it could be relapse recover relapse recovery relapse recovery, and on and on, never enough to drive him out of the league but enough that he hangs around.

I'm pretty sure Hamilton's on his last legs in the league as far as drug use goes. If he fails one of his bi weekly drug tests he's out of the league and the Angels won't be on the books for his salary.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I'm pretty sure Hamilton's on his last legs in the league as far as drug use goes. If he fails one of his bi weekly drug tests he's out of the league and the Angels won't be on the books for his salary.

But that wouldn't be the case for alcohol, right?

I think the Angels would be pretty scared about Hamilton's face showing up on TMZ in that city.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)

I highly, highly doubt this to be true. As far as I am aware, he has never tested positive for any sort of drug, and it takes like 4+ positive tests from recreational drugs to get a long, long term suspension. If MLB tried to kick him out, the MLBPA would fight right back.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
I highly, highly doubt this to be true. As far as I am aware, he has never tested positive for any sort of drug, and it takes like 4+ positive tests from recreational drugs to get a long, long term suspension. If MLB tried to kick him out, the MLBPA would fight right back.

He failed drug tests in the minors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
He failed drug tests in the minors.

Does that count against Major League time under the new CBA? And will he actually be banned from the game if he fails another test? I wouldn't doubt the former, but I strongly doubt the latter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
Does that count against Major League time under the new CBA? And will he actually be banned from the game if he fails another test? I wouldn't doubt the former, but I strongly doubt the latter.

I can't find anywhere that clearly states it would result in a banning if he were to fail another drug test.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
I can't find anywhere that clearly states it would result in a banning if he were to fail another drug test.

Just skimmed through my Hamilton book and found this...

After he was checked into a hospital for gastroenteritis.

"I knew what everyone was thinking: Uh-oh, did Josh relapse?

It was normal to wonder, especially for those people who didn't know I drug-tested three times a week, home and away, and would be tossed out of baseball the second a test turned up dirty."

Now I could be taking that the wrong way and "Tossed out of baseball" could just mean a suspension but I take it as he'll be out for good.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Buy buy doesn't always work, Angels have been trying it, and actually raising the bar on it, and haven't won a WS in the recent y ears, it always isn't an guarantee of anything.

And y eah, the Cubs are short on money, Ricketts paid agreed at top dollar then the economy flopped, also, he was expecting the State and/or city to bend over backwards to give him money to fix the stadium, and he was literally laughed at by many with his first proposal for Wrigley funding.

Man, they laughed at him? I guess they know the Cubs aren't going anywhere, so f*** 'em. They can pay for their own renovations. That Cub team is going to lose 100 games again. It's by far the worst team in the league now that the Astros are in the AL. Do they have any pitching at all? Starters or pen??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Man, they laughed at him? I guess they know the Cubs aren't going anywhere, so f*** 'em. They can pay for their own renovations. That Cub team is going to lose 100 games again. It's by far the worst team in the league now that the Astros are in the AL. Do they have any pitching at all? Starters or pen??

Don't you remember greg? Jeff Samardzija? Paul Konerko's face? NEVER FORGET!!!!!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
It's a shame the Sox couldn't have taken a run at Hamilton. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense financially given the tight purse strings of Reinsdorf, but what a splash he would've been. He's the kind of player that puts fans in the seats, not just at home but on the road too.

I think that is part of the Sox attendance problem. They just don't have that one player that draws people to a stadium. Sale might be close to that, but the Big Hurt was probably the last player the Sox had that brought in the casual fan.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
I think that is part of the Sox attendance problem. They just don't have that one player that draws people to a stadium. Sale might be close to that, but the Big Hurt was probably the last player the Sox had that brought in the casual fan.

The story of the last 20 years for the Chisox is, as far as I can tell...the fans show up much more when you put together a winning ballclub.