Connecticut school shooting

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:19 AM)
So I own a gun in Chicago to protect my family from others that clearly have guns, am I wrong?

IMO there is a far greater chance a loved one gets injured by your gun through an accident than its presence will actually protect your family.

A night doesn't go by in Chicago where multiple people don't get shot, it's just very rare a home invasion winds up with people shot. It does happen obviously, but most residential burglars don't carry a gun with them. It seems to me more people get injured cleaning a gun or finding daddy's gun, than people using a gun to successfully defend their home, although some 80 year old guy did it a month or so ago.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:32 AM)
I was listening to Huckabee tonight on O'Reilly. Say what you want about him, he made a couple interesting points. One was that you can't stop these kind of things. As he stayed it it is an issue of the heart. His claim was that people who are evil and want to do horrific things will do them. Now admittedly this 20 year old punk killer had it easy since apparently his mom owned the guns.

Another question I want to ask the good people of Sox talk. We have our disagreements about Ozzie, but I respect many many people on here and want your opinion.

This killer was 20 years old, raised in the current public school system. My question to you is: Is the fact all mention of God has been removed from society, the fact kids today are raised that there is no God and God is a dirty word (you won't hear the word in public schools of course) and there is no accountability to a higher power, that the younger generation is being raised in an unhealthy way, a way that will lead to more of these situations? God-fearing people do not kill kindergartners for gosh sakes. Also, the way Johnny is raised today ... Johnny can do no wrong. Johnny is always right. Johnny gets equal playing time with all the other kids on his team; Johnny gets a trophy for finishing last. Is there something wrong with our society in the way we are raising our kids???

I know I didn't explain this well enough, maybe somebody can read what I am trying to say.

Tell me ... what is going on today?? Why these mass killings? What is the fundamental issue? Did I get it right or not?

I will tell you this, if this continues??? In 20 years we will be waiting 90 minutes to get into a church; 90 minutes to get into a movie theatre, 90 minutes to enter a hospital, it'll take 5 hours to get on a plane by the time you arrive at the airport; 90 minutes to get into the doors of a sports event. There will be so much security it will make your head spin.

I'm sick over this. Yes I had tears stream down my face today. When I thought about the scene in the classroom as the punk reloaded his gun, the terror on the kids who had yet to be killed. The pain thinking about the parents of those kids!!!! I'm so sad and pissed and sick over this.

Many despicable things have been done in the name of god, including killing infants, toddlers, children.

Huckabee is a moron to raise that issue, it had nothing to do with what happened.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 07:08 AM)
IMO there is a far greater chance a loved one gets injured by your gun through an accident than its presence will actually protect your family.

A night doesn't go by in Chicago where multiple people don't get shot, it's just very rare a home invasion winds up with people shot. It does happen obviously, but most residential burglars don't carry a gun with them. It seems to me more people get injured cleaning a gun or finding daddy's gun, than people using a gun to successfully defend their home, although some 80 year old guy did it a month or so ago.

This is the part that is unacceptable to me. There is no reason for a child to be able to access a gun. I have a number of rifles and shotguns. We go shooting and hunting on a regular basis. The guns are never out of the safe at home. I have the key in a spot they cannot find let alone reach. You read about this thing happening so often and it's the parent's fault for not teaching the children properly and not securing them.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
This is the part that is unacceptable to me. There is no reason for a child to be able to access a gun. I have a number of rifles and shotguns. We go shooting and hunting on a regular basis. The guns are never out of the safe at home. I have the key in a spot they cannot find let alone reach. You read about this thing happening so often and it's the parent's fault for not teaching the children properly and not securing them.

as a hunter i've got a question - when is a semi-automatic rifle useful in a hunting scenario? the moment you fire, unless your aim was on, that game is bounding off through the woods, leaving you plenty of time to reload, no?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:36 AM)
Man if you DONT own a gun for home defense in Chicago you're a f***ing idiot. We are living in American Afghanistan, a city held under terror by an unstoppable onslaught of crime.

When can we point out that Chicago is going to break 500 homicides this year and, BY TOTAL COINCIDENCE, also has the tightest gun control in the United States? 30 is a tragedy, 500 is a war.

Oh give me a f***ing break. Unless you live in the worst areas of Chicago, you have the exact same worries as any other city in this country. And not only is this issue specific to certain areas, it's also highly highly-gang related, so making guns easier to attain would be by far the dumbest thing we could do.

Do you live in one of these areas?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
Oh give me a f***ing break. Unless you live in the worst areas of Chicago, you have the exact same worries as any other city in this country. And not only is this issue specific to certain areas, it's also highly highly-gang related, so making guns easier to attain would be by far the dumbest thing we could do.

Do you live in one of these areas?

I agree. You have about the same odds of winning the powerball as you do of people busting into your house with guns ablazing, especially if you're not in a gang or a member of organized crime. Out on the street in Chicago, you can get shot at any moment, but it is very rare someone needs to "protect" their home from armed intruders.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
Many despicable things have been done in the name of god, including killing infants, toddlers, children.

Huckabee is a moron to raise that issue, it had nothing to do with what happened.

I never post in the buster but that's truly the dumbest thing Greg has ever said and we all know that's saying an awful lot.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)

I agree with this. Here's the thing, if you actually need to defend yourself, you need quick access to that gun. I don't know how people can have quick access but also have it locked away so well that no one else can get to it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
I agree with this. Here's the thing, if you actually need to defend yourself, you need quick access to that gun. I don't know how people can have quick access but also have it locked away so well that no one else can get to it.

That is definitely the rub. I think if you really have a fear of someone armed breaking into your home, you really need to move. That would be the best way to protect your family.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
That is definitely the rub. I think if you really have a fear of someone armed breaking into your home, you really need to move. That would be the best way to protect your family.

haha THANK YOU.

if you live in a place that's so unsafe that your family's at risk, what kind of parent would you be if you didn't MOVE!?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:32 AM)
I was listening to Huckabee tonight on O'Reilly. Say what you want about him, he made a couple interesting points. One was that you can't stop these kind of things. As he stayed it it is an issue of the heart. His claim was that people who are evil and want to do horrific things will do them. Now admittedly this 20 year old punk killer had it easy since apparently his mom owned the guns.

Another question I want to ask the good people of Sox talk. We have our disagreements about Ozzie, but I respect many many people on here and want your opinion.

This killer was 20 years old, raised in the current public school system. My question to you is: Is the fact all mention of God has been removed from society, the fact kids today are raised that there is no God and God is a dirty word (you won't hear the word in public schools of course) and there is no accountability to a higher power, that the younger generation is being raised in an unhealthy way, a way that will lead to more of these situations? God-fearing people do not kill kindergartners for gosh sakes. Also, the way Johnny is raised today ... Johnny can do no wrong. Johnny is always right. Johnny gets equal playing time with all the other kids on his team; Johnny gets a trophy for finishing last. Is there something wrong with our society in the way we are raising our kids???

I know I didn't explain this well enough, maybe somebody can read what I am trying to say.

Tell me ... what is going on today?? Why these mass killings? What is the fundamental issue? Did I get it right or not?

I will tell you this, if this continues??? In 20 years we will be waiting 90 minutes to get into a church; 90 minutes to get into a movie theatre, 90 minutes to enter a hospital, it'll take 5 hours to get on a plane by the time you arrive at the airport; 90 minutes to get into the doors of a sports event. There will be so much security it will make your head spin.

I'm sick over this. Yes I had tears stream down my face today. When I thought about the scene in the classroom as the punk reloaded his gun, the terror on the kids who had yet to be killed. The pain thinking about the parents of those kids!!!! I'm so sad and pissed and sick over this.

i can haz persnal attakk?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
if you live in a place that's so unsafe that your family's at risk, what kind of parent would you be if you didn't MOVE!?

Well let's be honest, there are plenty of people in this city that can't afford to move their families and unfortunately a lot of them live in the major problem areas. They aren't automatically bad parents.

Having said that, I do agree with Dick's point. As long as you can afford to, moving your family to a safer area is always going to be the better choice than buying a handgun for your home.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Well let's be honest, there are plenty of people in this city that can't afford to move their families and unfortunately a lot of them live in the major problem areas. They aren't automatically bad parents.

Having said that, I do agree with Dick's point. As long as you can afford to, moving your family to a safer area is always going to be the better choice than buying a handgun for your home.

i knew that would be the response and it's a cop out. if something is important to you, you can find a way to make it happen. your family's lives should probably rank pretty high on the list.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:32 AM)
When I thought about the scene in the classroom as the punk reloaded his gun, the terror on the kids who had yet to be killed.

Maybe if he had actually needed to reload, someone could've tackled him/stopped him/done something.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)

People break into homes in good neighborhoods in Chicago, nice suburbs, etc. Unless you live on a farm 40 miles from civilization, I'm not quite sure where you can be safe.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
i knew that would be the response and it's a cop out. if something is important to you, you can find a way to make it happen. your family's lives should probably rank pretty high on the list.

That's the exact argument conservatives use against welfare. If they want to get out of poverty enough, they'll do it. Self-reliance and stuff

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
That's the exact argument conservatives use against welfare. If they want to get out of poverty enough, they'll do it. Self-reliance and stuff

i don't think they're exactly the same argument. but i do see the conflict, and you raise a valid point that I hadn't thought of.

- Live in a violent area

Option 1) Leave

Option 2) Buy a gun that could be used in a deadly crime or accident

- Poor

Option 1) Work your ass off without welfare

Option 2) Work your ass off WITH welfare

Option 3) Be lazy on welfare and abuse the system

I think the difference is that welfare and upward mobility aren't mutually exclusive like with scenario 1...

Regardless, this is something I have to think about and I don't have a clear view on it at this point

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
People break into homes in good neighborhoods in Chicago, nice suburbs, etc. Unless you live on a farm 40 miles from civilization, I'm not quite sure where you can be safe.

How often do you read about people breaking into a non gang related home or non organized crime related home and killing a family? Usually when a family gets gunned down its one of the parents shooting them with a legally obtained weapon, many times after years and years of being a loving parent.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)

Yes Greg. Had this kid gone to a Catholic school, God would have magically cured him of his mental illness and none of this would have happened.

Seriously dude, my vision of you is a 73 year old man who never got past 6th grade and worked on a farm for 54 years of his life. You are so ignorant it's astounding.