Connecticut school shooting

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
Yes Greg. Had this kid gone to a Catholic school, God would have magically cured him of his mental illness and none of this would have happened.

Seriously dude, my vision of you is a 73 year old man who never got past 6th grade and worked on a farm for 54 years of his life. You are so ignorant it's astounding.

Rather than ask for you to be banned, I'll say, gee thanks for the intelligent response. I had a scholarship to Northwestern offered to me. I was accepted to two Ivy League schools. Yes I am really a stupid person. I said I might have not explained my position well enough, but rather than discuss it, you go into bombadeer Greg mode. Nice.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
in this scenario it's called for.

Thanks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
lol. greg deserved that one. I know he means well. But some of the crap he says when one of these things happens is mind-boggling. This is worse than when he said somebody in the movie theater should've rose up and stopped james holmes. Glock, rifle and shotgun be damned.

I don't even remember what I said on the Holmes case. This case, I'm trying to point out that those who believe there is a God believe there is justice not only on earth but in the afterlife. If more people feared that, we might be better off. I can't respond to anybody because nobody said what they didn't like about my post, just that I am a dumbs***. I am not dumb. My test scores were off the charts and I was worthy of Northwestern.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 12:23 AM)
refer to the second page of this thread. none of them died. thus guns = more deadly than no guns. ruins all 2nd amendmenters arguments

EDIT: by this thread, i meant the other gun thread...

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/china-stabbin...-schoolchildren

No motive was given for the stabbings, which echo a string of similar assaults against schoolchildren in 2010 that killed nearly 20 and wounded more than 50. The most recent such attack took place in August, when a knife-wielding man broke into a middle school in the southern city of Nanchang and stabbed two students before fleeing.

So congrats. Knives kill a few less than guns. Get rid of guns, knives next? Then bats?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Di they actually say this? because I read a piece that he TRIED to buy a gun and was turned down because his background check flagged him for something.

No, sorry for the confusion. I meant this particular CNN reporter who was just on tv was able to buy an assault rifle in Colorado right after the Holmes/Batman shootings.

He said they still have it at CNN...that he never fired it, just wanted to know how easy it actually was to get one in the wake of that particular shooting.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Rather than ask for you to be banned, I'll say, gee thanks for the intelligent response. I had a scholarship to Northwestern offered to me. I was accepted to two Ivy League schools. Yes I am really a stupid person. I said I might have not explained my position well enough, but rather than discuss it, you go into bombadeer Greg mode. Nice.

Thanks.

I don't even remember what I said on the Holmes case. This case, I'm trying to point out that those who believe there is a God believe there is justice not only on earth but in the afterlife. If more people feared that, we might be better off. I can't respond to anybody because nobody said what they didn't like about my post, just that I am a dumbs***. I am not dumb. My test scores were off the charts and I was worthy of Northwestern.

Bombardier/bombard

Just joking with you, Gregster.

ALL THE SCHOOL SHOOTING VICTIMS WERE SHOT MULTIPLE TIMES. Just wow.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
http://news.ca.msn.com/world/china-stabbin...-schoolchildren

So congrats. Knives kill a few less than guns. Get rid of guns, knives next? Then bats?

It's going to be interesting to see how many extra security guards most schools use on Monday, if they choose to do so.

In the wake of those Chinese stabbings a couple of years ago, there was a visibly increased presence at the gates of all Chinese schools (not only the guards, but Chinese army soldiers). And almost all of the parents were dropping the kids off as well as waiting for them to bring them home.

Obviously increasing security guards costs a TON of money, and how many schools/districts/states have those funds lying around for such circumstances?

Do parents have a right to expect it? Would people be willing to pay higher property taxes to double the security presence at every school in the country? I don't think so.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)

Thanks.

Greg, I'm an atheist that grew up in this generation. I'm not going to go do heinous acts. Not because I don't fear God, I'm really not afraid of most things (that can harm me personally, I'm deathly afraid of loved ones being in pain). I don't do it because I'm a human being and I don't to put others through pain and frustration. God isn't my motivation for not doing things, love and understanding is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Bombardier/bombard

Just joking with you, Gregster.

ALL THE SCHOOL SHOOTING VICTIMS WERE SHOT MULTIPLE TIMES. Just wow.

Wow. Just...what the f*** man. What the f***.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
...and yet another senseless massacre that could have been stopped with a left wing loon tracking system. The solution is so simple but it hasn't been enacted yet.

If he loves firing weapons, wouldn't it make him a right-wing loon?

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
That all goes to poor judgement on the mothers part... she knew her kid was troubled. She decided it was a good idea to buy guns anyway. Bad parenting there.

You can know kids have issues, but you never expect your kid to do this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
You can know kids have issues, but you never expect your kid to do this.

I'll vouch for that. As I've said already, I have an 18 yr old daughter with Aspergers. I've always thought and still do think that if anything I'm much more afraid of her doing some harm to herself than anything at all like what happened yesterday.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/15/...E8BD0U120121215

there goes the 'ban handguns fixes everything' argument.

Now it's confusing again.

Was the "long rifle" a hunting rifle we don't know about, or was it the Bushmaster semi-automatic assault rifle?

Because the cries to get assault guns off the streets definitely won't die down as a result of this.

It's even scarier to think he was lining those kids up and executing them with a rifle....methodically. Just can't imagine it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
Now it's confusing again.

Was the "long rifle" a hunting rifle we don't know about, or was it the Bushmaster semi-automatic assault rifle?

Because the cries to get assault guns off the streets definitely won't die down as a result of this.

well you are just gonna have to ban hunting rifles. and knives. and rocks. and pointy sticks.

Edited by mr_genius

(Reuters) - Police released the names on Saturday of 26 people shot dead in the massacre at a Connecticut elementary school a day earlier, including 20 children ages 6 and 7, in an incident that stands as one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history.

Six adults ages 27 to 56 - all women - were identified by authorities a day after a heavily armed 20-year-old gunman forced his way into the Sandy Hook Elementary School. Among the children, there were eight boys and 12 girls.

There's another area that will get a lot of coverage. Killing 18/26 women/girls.

Seems the violence was directed more at women...although you can make the obvious point that almost all of the teachers and administrators in elementary schools are females, so hard to draw a conclusion other than his anger at his mom possibly, and the possible connection to her working as a teacher's aide at the same school.

Wonder if we'll get any more details about the confrontation that happened Tuesday at the school, and what could possibly have been done at THAT point to prevent something liket his from happening.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)

Bringing up religion after this happened? Why? What the heck does religion have to do with what happened yesterday? No Christian has ever gone on a shooting rampage? I went to public schools my entire life. Does that mean I'm much more susceptible to going postal? Your logic is garbage and doesn't deserve to be brought up. Next you'll be telling us this tragedy happened because gay people can get married in certain states and it's God's way to punish us.

I don't know if Morgan Freeman actually said this, but if he did, I swear he should be knighted:

Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
Bringing up religion after this happened? Why? What the heck does religion have to do with what happened yesterday? No Christian has ever gone on a shooting rampage? I went to public schools my entire life. Does that mean I'm much more susceptible to going postal? Your logic is garbage and doesn't deserve to be brought up. Next you'll be telling us this tragedy happened because gay people can get married in certain states and it's God's way to punish us.

I believe the fact that something like this happened is definitive proof that there is no God.