Connecticut school shooting

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
The media needs to stop interviewing children.

I fully agree with this. I know people want details, but this is not the way to do it. Get these kids home, and try to not have them think about it even more and go through it again.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
I fully agree with this. I know people want details, but this is not the way to do it. Get these kids home, and try to not have them think about it even more and go through it again.

Honestly...a lot of them probably can't be allowed to go home right now.

They're material witnesses in a major police investigation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Honestly...a lot of them probably can't be allowed to go home right now.

They're material witnesses in a major police investigation.

Well, get them somewhere that's not in front of a camera. If they need to talk to police, as much as that is traumatizing, that's fine. But a guy with a microphone? Get away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Turn it off.

I'm not watching any news reports with kids being interviewed. I'm saying the fact that they're doing it in the first place is media exploitation of kids...it's sick.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm not watching any news reports with kids being interviewed. I'm saying the fact that they're doing it in the first place is media exploitation of kids...it's sick.

I'm not going to disagree with you.

I'd just say...turn it all off if it's getting to you. If you want an update go to their website, or wait for word of a press conference. They're all going to do that. If their national n etwork isn't doing it, the local affiliate will, and the national network will carry it.

If it bothers you, turn it off and type here.

Showing RL's face on TV now. That's his facebook. I've accessed it, very little is public. I wonder if the outfit he is wearing that a friend comments on is the reported "all black" outfit that the shooter wore.

[updated at 2:11 p.m. ET] CNN's Susan Candiotti has just reported that a law enforcement official tells her the suspect is named Ryan Lanza and he is in his 20s.

[updated at 2:09 p.m. ET] We're hearing even more devastating news out of Newtown, Connecticut. CNN's Susan Candiotti has been told that 18 to 20 of the dead are children.

if we wanted to stop this s***, one of the things is to stop releasing names and pictures of the guy (always f***ing men) who did this, so other mental cases stop thinking this is a way to notoriety. Learn from your mistakes, America.

I think there is much to be gained by forcing discourse on this stuff. Finding more out about the killers and exposing people to the violence is a catalyst for change. How many people will think about their troubled friend/child/co-worker and possibly help them because of this? Don't forget about that when you jump straight to the "others will replicate this crime!" conclusion because it is only part of it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Just to clarify, did you mean to make that past tense? Or does she currently work there?

She works there. They say that her students are among the victims. They have not said anything about her.

EDIT: supposedly there is a dead body inside mother's home, unconfirmed info and unconfirmed who it is

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
Things like this make me scared to every try to raise children. I know we can't live our life in fear, etc. But the world is a ridiculous place.

This is just so...I don't even know the word for it.

I'm sitting here watching it on TV, it's almost like this can't be real, can it? It's hard to actually comprehend this is real, this happened.

I know we argue about mindless stuff on end on here...but God bless all of you. None of that's important in the grand scheme of things.

It really compounds this situation.

Earlier today I bought a 7 game plan for me and my kids as a Christmas gift, I felt really good about things and then this really just sucks the life right out of you. My God, this time of the year is incredibly special for young children and families, parents and schools feel a renowned sense of innocence at this time of the year. As I got older Christmas spirit passes but with three young kids, my Christmas spirit is as great as it even was. Stuff like this though makes you think about what kind of world you are bringing these kids into. God help them all.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 07:36 PM)
I think there is much to be gained by forcing discourse on this stuff. Finding more out about the killers and exposing people to the violence is a catalyst for change. How many people will think about their troubled friend/child/co-worker and possibly help them because of this? Don't forget about that when you jump straight to the "others will replicate this crime!" conclusion because it is only part of it.

That sounds very theoretical. We've had numerous sociologists and psychologists talk about the media triggers that cause copy-cats. The obsession with the killer is one of the main drivers. We blast the face everywhere like a celebrity. There is nothing special about this person. He is 20 years old, probably has schizophrenia. He snapped and got a gun and killed children. Let's stop being obssessed by this violence.