Connecticut school shooting

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
It really compounds this situation.

Earlier today I bought a 7 game plan for me and my kids as a Christmas gift, I felt really good about things and then this really just sucks the life right out of you. My God, this time of the year is incredibly special for young children and families, parents and schools feel a renowned sense of innocence at this time of the year. As I got older Christmas spirit passes but with three young kids, my Christmas spirit is as great as it even was. Stuff like this though makes you think about what kind of world you are bringing these kids into. God help them all.

Good post.

Someone just talked about how most of these families' homes probably have holiday stuff up, and presents under the tree for children that will never come home.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)

That's exactly why I asked if we KNOW that is who it is. s*** happens really quickly in a tragedy like this. People can make assumptions in the heat of the moment. For instance, my name isn't super common, but I know there are at least three people with the same first and last name in my hometown of 30,000.

Beau Brendler, Yahoo News: Authorities are searching Lanza's parents' house in New Jersey, according to ABC News. He appears to have gone on a shooting spree at multiple locations and there may be more dead bodies -- Pierre Thomas, Justice Dept. correspondent at ABC News

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Good post.

Someone just talked about how most of these families' homes probably have holiday stuff up, and presents under the tree for children that will never come home.

Can you imagine?

Here is a pic of a dad showing up to find out his kid was safe. I can only imagine the other side of this

RTR3BKQM.jpg

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
But it obviously isn't the shooter if he is updating his facebook page.

Another person could have access to his account.

But this is exactly why I am a ghost online. Even though there are only maybe 3 people in the entire world with my name, 0 if you include middle name. Which is also why I am not online, to easy to find things about me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
That's exactly why I asked if we KNOW that is who it is. s*** happens really quickly in a tragedy like this. People can make assumptions in the heat of the moment. For instance, my name isn't super common, but I know there are at least three people with the same first and last name in my hometown of 30,000.

That tweeted photo could be a joke, too

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
Another person could have access to his account.

But this is exactly why I am a ghost online. Even though there are only maybe 3 people in the entire world with my name, 0 if you include middle name. Which is also why I am not online, to easy to find things about me.

It is just one of those things that shouldn't be done in the heat of the moment. Why ruin someone else's life potentially?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Can you imagine?

Here is a pic of a dad showing up to find out his kid was safe. I can only imagine the other side of this

RTR3BKQM.jpg

s*** like that makes me tear up. it was a similar 9/11 story a couple of days later that made me break down.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
If it isn't, someone needs to check in on that person, he is clearly f***ed up.

No kidding. Social media has made people more helpless somehow IMO, when there should be ways to find others like you for a support system.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
No kidding. Social media has made people more helpless somehow IMO, when there should be ways to find others like you for a support system.

Don't want to go on too much of a tangent, but social media is just a diary that others read. If you claim you're depressed, people just say "aww, sorry. here's some fake encouragement." No one actually acts on statements like that, they don't report it at all, or seek help for that individual. I'm not saying people are obligated to do that, just saying social media isn't used how it could be used.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Don't want to go on too much of a tangent, but social media is just a diary that others read. If you claim you're depressed, people just say "aww, sorry. here's some fake encouragement." No one actually acts on statements like that, they don't report it at all, or seek help for that individual. I'm not saying people are obligated to do that, just saying social media isn't used how it could be used.

I call that Vaguebooking for sympathy.

Post various but vague status, I.E: :(

Prepare for onslaught of fake sympathy, and aww, what's wrong?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)

There should be a more established social media support system out there for people that are bullied or depressed IMO. Maybe it exists and I just have never heard about it which is another problem

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)

Best thing I've seen on Facebook is a parent replying to the hundreds of well-wishes and stories about their son passing away the other day. No way could they have heard all those stories anyway else, so that was awesome to see.