Connecticut school shooting

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
Yeah, I believe 0 deaths actually

yea well, an authoritarian government will fix a lot of problems. every Chicago gang member would be executed if they were in China. so no more gang violence

but it causes a ton of other problems to say the least.

Edited by mr_genius

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, legit emotional reaction, someone tell me I have nothing to worry about.

I was planning to go see The Hobbit tomorrow afternoon. I can't get out of my head all the cases of people getting caught with guns on their way to movie theaters after the last one.

Someone reassure me rationally on this, please?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)

I was planning to go see The Hobbit tomorrow afternoon. I can't get out of my head all the cases of people getting caught with guns on their way to movie theaters after the last one.

I'm going tomorrow. You'll be fine.

Also, apparently Obama was crying during his statement.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)

Yeah I already watched, video's on youtube, figured posting it here was excessive.

Anyway, the part of my brain that works rationally knows you're right. The damn emotional part had that instant reaction, and I'm trying to figure out how to calm it.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
yea well, an authoritarian government will fix a lot of problems. every Chicago gang member would be executed if they were in China. so no more gang violence

Yeah, the stabby guy in China will not see 2014, that's for sure. He will be lucky if he sees 2013.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)

Not surprised, he has two fairly young daughters. I would imagine most parents are holding back tears today.

Rather than be sad and depressed about the shooting in CT today, I'd rather feel proud and thankful for the teachers in that school who followed lockdown protocol, distracted the kids with games and stories, and kept away the madness outside the classroom. It's because of them hundreds or children survived and didn't have to experience the horrors surrounding them. That's what I choose to get out of this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)

Jesus f***ing Christ, are you serious?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Jesus f***ing Christ, are you serious?

He's not the only one, my manager cancelled a team outing to see Batman because of the shooting.

With the recent rash of gun attacks, you can't blame people for being cautious, especially because they are popping up in such public places.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
He's not the only one, my manager cancelled a team outing to see Batman because of the shooting.

With the recent rash of gun attacks, you can't blame people for being cautious, especially because they are popping up in such public places.

I'm not even saying it's being cautious.

It's more the freakout reaction.

I know it makes no sense but I'm fighting to shut it down.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Rather than be sad and depressed about the shooting in CT today, I'd rather feel proud and thankful for the teachers in that school who followed lockdown protocol, distracted the kids with games and stories, and kept away the madness outside the classroom. It's because of them hundreds or children survived and didn't have to experience the horrors surrounding them. That's what I choose to get out of this.

Amen.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)

It sounded like Balta was saying he was worried about being CAUGHT having his gun on him while he is at the theaters, or maybe I read that wrong.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
It sounded like Balta was saying he was worried about being CAUGHT having his gun on him while he is at the theaters, or maybe I read that wrong.

God no.

I'm worried about going in the first place. I kept thinking about all the other idiots who got caught with guns on their way to the theater. I just want to see the movie.

Don't own a gun, ask anyone who posts in this forum.

Thank you, being able to have a visceral emotional reaction to that statement actually cleared my head more than you'd think.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
God no.

I'm worried about going in the first place. I kept thinking about all the other idiots who got caught with guns on their way to the theater. I just want to see the movie.

Don't own a gun, ask anyone who posts in this forum.

Thank you, being able to have a visceral emotional reaction to that statement actually cleared my head more than you'd think.

Oh ok.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)

Clearly just pointing out the difference in weapon effectiveness rather than endorsing Chinese government...

Part of this organization, figured I'd pass along:

WGNNews: A fraternity at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign already started raising funds for #NewtownShooting victims: http://t.co/9XSw2vv5

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Clearly just pointing out the difference in weapon effectiveness rather than endorsing Chinese government...

true. but removing all the 'effective' weapons in the US would require some drastic government action. if that happened maybe murders would need to resort to using inefficient stabbings.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)

Those kids are going to need alot of mental health treatment over the next several years if not always.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)

I completely understand being concerned about your kids well-being at school for a while, that would only be natural after a horrific event like this. But to worry that one psychopath will inspire someone to copycat a previous psychopath and as a result not see a movie is too much for me.

This was a random act of violence by someone with serious mental illness. These events will never stop and could happen at any place at any time. Either you can live in fear, lock your doors, and never go outside or you can respect that life is not guaranteed and enjoy it while it lasts.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
I completely understand being concerned about your kids well-being at school for a while, that would only be natural after a horrific event like this. But to worry that one psychopath will inspire someone to copycat a previous psychopath and as a result not see a movie is too much for me.

This was a random act of violence by someone with serious mental illness. These events will never stop and could happen at any place at any time. Either you can live in fear, lock your doors, and never go outside or you can respect that life is not guaranteed and enjoy it while it lasts.

(Thank you for repeating the rational version. It just helps to be forced to read it).