Connecticut school shooting

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Christ, Obama is getting me choked up

Just watched that. You give or even watch that speech and do not get choked up, you have no soul.

Life goes on, you can not allow acts of this nature dictate your life, if you do, you miss out on the joys that are readily there that are so much greater than the tragedies. I'll go home and think about it a little more when I hug my kids tonight and tell them I love them but I have to believe that they are safe and I will come home each day to see them and we will grow older together if not, there is no joy of family and friends.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police saying that no officer responding to the incident fired their weapon.

Unless there was a security guard or someone else there that was armed, that leaves only 1 way for him to have died, although they won't confirm that he killed himself without an autopsy.

Also, re: a few previous posts, the report of a body found associated with this in Hoboken NJ has been retracted.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Police saying that no officer responding to the incident fired their weapon.

Unless there was a security guard or someone else there that was armed, that leaves only 1 way for him to have died, although they won't confirm that he killed himself without an autopsy.

These situations leave a person as emotional wrecks. There are so many feelings I feel towards him, and I don't want to express them here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
These situations leave a person as emotional wrecks.

The worst is that each and every one of those kids is messed up for life, and there's really no two ways about it. Anyone would be, but especially 5-10 year old kids. They're alive, but mentally and emotionally- they're good as done.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Unclear but probably related to the alleged fact that his mother worked there.

Yeah, I'm guessing the said "Hey, my mom so-and-so works here" and they let him in. But I'm wondering how he got the guns in without anyone noticing. I heard he had 4 guns. Did he bring a giant dufflebag in?

And how terrible that office aid or security guard must feel buzzing him through.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Yeah, I'm guessing the said "Hey, my mom so-and-so works here" and they let him in. But I'm wondering how he got the guns in without anyone noticing. I heard he had 4 guns. Did he bring a giant dufflebag in?

And how terrible that office aid or security guard must feel buzzing him through.

From what I've read he was no stranger to the school, meaning they already knew him?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
From what I've read he was no stranger to the school, meaning they already knew him?

Probably. I walked in to my elementary school a couple years ago when I was 20 and the office people remembered me, probably because my aunt taught at my elementary school and I would often stay after school with her, and you tend to be more popular with other teachers and employees if you are a relative of a teacher, because you get talked about.

EDIT: That, and I was a trouble maker in elementary school, so they always saw me walk in to the principals office. Haha.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
I have not read this entire thread, but has anyone heard how this nut was able to enter the school?

It's an elementary school surrounded by woods in something of a rural area, as much as there is in that part of the country. I doubt the doors were locked, and the probably was no security. There probably was a principal who had a view of the main entrance, but he could probably walk in at his leisure.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
Its all speculation but if the guns were in a backpack he could easily walk in and be like "Oh got a surprise for my mom"

That actually sounds terrible when I type it.

They're reporting now (on FOX news, I watch to hear all the BS) that he shot her in her home.

I am seeing that the mother was killed at home and he went to the school afterwards.

The mother of the suspected shooter was found dead in her son's residence in Newtown, a law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation told CNN. CNN had previously identified the mother as Nancy Lanza, a teacher at the Sandy Hook Elementary, according to law enforcement sources.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14/shoot...hool/?hpt=hp_t1

Then its pretty bad that they let him in the school if his mom wasnt even there...

I guess well have to wait and see. To many variables. I already came up with a way he could get in if his mom wasnt there "Hey my mom said I should come and pick some things up from her classroom".

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Then its pretty bad that they let him in the school if his mom wasnt even there...

I guess well have to wait and see. To many variables. I already came up with a way he could get in if his mom wasnt there "Hey my mom said I should come and pick some things up from her classroom".

Or "hey see this gun? Let me in."

If he wanted in, he'd get in, it's not a building made for security purposes. Heck, he could have killed the person protecting the buzzer and let himself in.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
Or "hey see this gun? Let me in."

If he wanted in, he'd get in, it's not a building made for security purposes. Heck, he could have killed the person protecting the buzzer and let himself in.

He would have got in for sure, but perhaps the ruckus and delay that would have caused could have saved a few more lives. We will never know.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
I dont want to get political but honestly this is what makes me want concealed carry, if this happens to me in a public place I would like to shoot back.

Yeah, that's what we need.. firefights whenever some stupid s*** like this happens.

Its statements like this that just get me fired the f*** up. That's what I want for my kid, to go to a school where the teachers are carrying guns. Oh, but they can shoot back? Yeah, what happens if the teacher is actually the crazy person. Then what?

There's no f***ing reason for ANYONE to own a gun that isn't law enforcement or serving this country in some capacity. THAT'S IT.

The identity confusion was based on the fact that the shooter was carrying the ID of his brother, Ryan. Ryan tells authorities that his brother had a history of mental illness, but the media isn't offering more elaboration

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/20...-profile/60011/

Friday afternoon, after CNN's Susan Candiotti reported that a twentysomething Ryan Lanza — from Newtown, Connecticut, and living in Hoboken, N.J. — was the man involved in the Newtown school shooting, the Internet decided to do a little sleuthing that led to the wrong conclusions. The media and masses instantly headed to Facebook, where it found a profile for a twentysomething named Ryan Lanza — from Newtown, and living Hoboken. Photos and details began to emerge as apparent facts about the dead shooter, until wall posts on the since-deleted profile (screen shotted and tweeted by two of Lanza's friends) seemed to change the narrative: this Ryan Lanza was alive, and he was telling the Internet it had the wrong guy — everything may have seemed right, but everyone was so very wrong. "It wasn't me," Ryan Lanza said.

At an early-evening news conference, Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut state police said, "I'm not gonna confirm the identity of the shooter right now." But The New York Post — and other media outlets citing police sources are now reporting that the shooter is not 24-year-old Ryan Lanza but his brother, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, who killed his mother, a kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook and possibly another person at a Connecticut home close to the school, who reports say is another relative. Ryan Lanza is alive and has been questioned by police, reports The New York Times. So it now looks like the Internet had the right Ryan Lanza — he just wasn't the shooter.

It's not clear what led to the Ryan-Adam confusion initially, but Ryan Lanza has emerged as one very shocked sibling: he told police that "his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a 'personality disorder,'" ABC News just reported. And Ryan Lanza had told a Brett Wilshe that it's possible the shooter had his identification, Wilshe told a local New Jersey paper. NBC News has also reported that Adam had his brother's identification. It's still unclear why that would be the case. (Perhaps he was using it as a fake ID? Younger siblings do this, certainly.)

Facebook has declined to comment about the mixup, but at the very least the the Twitterati and the mainstream media appear to have learned their lessons — apologies flooded the web late Friday afternoon for connecting the CNN report with the wrong Lanza by way of his Facebook profile. Meanwhile, an Adam Lanza who fits the profile of the shooter remains hard for even skeptical eyes to track down: already some fake Adam Lanza Facebook profiles have popped up, and there is no clear Twitter connection either. Or maybe everyone should just wait until the cops tell us he's actually the killer.

I thought this Lanza guy's father had left the family and remarried someone in the Newtown, CT, area...?

Was he also killed?

Sorry, just woke up in China to hear about this horrible news....my CNN feed here isn't live, so it's still reporting 20 children/students dead, 6 adults (including the principal of the school).

Columbine was 13 students, if I remember correctly, and then the 2 shooters, Klebold and Harris. Virginia Tech was 32, plus the shooter...but this would be the largest K-12 shooting.

The guns were a Glock, Sig Sauer and Bushmaster (semi-automatic assault rifle)...which at least 3 of the 4 weapons were actually registered to the mother.

That fact is going to be played out to death in the media, how the gun/s registered in her name was used to kill her.

Saw Obama's speech....haven't seen him so clearly emotional, not to this extent.

Edited by caulfield12