Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaPierre calls on Congress to immediately appropriate money to put armed officers in every school in America. The conversation on this idea has to start immediately. He says the NRA has 11,000 police training instructors willing to help out.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
LaPierre calls on Congress to immediately appropriate money to put armed officers in every school in America. The conversation on this idea has to start immediately. He says the NRA has 11,000 police training instructors willing to help out.

Someone should ask him "What happens if a crazed gunman ambushes & kills the armed officer? Then what?"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
LOL. At least they waited a whole week before saying this asinine s***.

Hey, schools are already chronically underfunded and understaffed! Let's add armed guards to every one! MOAR GUNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a bunch of guns. a bunch of kids. novice gun using teachers.

i don't see how that could go wrong.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
Someone should ask him "What happens if a crazed gunman ambushes & kills the armed officer? Then what?"

Someone should ask him "what happens if a student overpowers your bored security guard and takes the gun you've introduced into the school?" "What happens if he's in the s***er when someone breaks in and shoots up an entire classroom in 4 minutes?"

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Now all of those lame alcohol prohibition comparisons can actually mean something now that people could create their own stuff at home.

Do you really feel that it's worse for innocent people to be killed by guns than it is more a greater number of people to be killed by drunk drivers? In my view an innocent being killed is an innocent person being killed. I really don't care about how it happened. I care more about reasonable way to try to decrease them.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
LOL. At least they waited a whole week before saying this asinine s***.

Hey, schools are already chronically underfunded and understaffed! Let's add armed guards to every one! MOAR GUNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the fix is onsite police officers, than I have no problem helping to fund that. But I don't want non-official volunteers hanging around schools.

But then again I typically have no problem passing referendums for most things education wise.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)

In theory the police officer should at least be a good enough obstacle to delay the shooter from doing mass harm before more officers arrive to help.

That said, the officer would probably be the first target by any shooter.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Do you really feel that it's worse for innocent people to be killed by guns than it is more a greater number of people to be killed by drunk drivers? In my view an innocent being killed is an innocent person being killed. I really don't care about how it happened. I care more about reasonable way to try to decrease them.

I think it's without question that we'd be a safer society without the presence of alcohol.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)

I called it a lame comparison because alcohol is relatively easy to make yourself. Most people can't manufacture their own guns.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
If the fix is onsite police officers, than I have no problem helping to fund that. But I don't want non-official volunteers hanging around schools.

But then again I typically have no problem passing referendums for most things education wise.

I'm with you here. This entire week there has been a police car in each of our schools parking lot for an hour before school to an hour afyer it begins. Then again for an hour before school is dismissed until the students are gone. I know our police officers don't have much else to do in our little town but it's a good thing.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
It's probably what, the same cost as adding 1 teacher per school? I think that's pretty damn reasonable.

how is one guy gonna guard a whole school? plus those costs add up.

i thought banning assault rifles fixes everything? lets just do that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
I called it a lame comparison because alcohol is relatively easy to make yourself. Most people can't manufacture their own guns.

Good point.

However, we used to make pipe bombs and things like that all the time before the information was readily available on the internet. Your point is well taken that the use of a gun makes it easier. But in a case like Newtown, I think that nutbag would have just tossed a homemade bomb (which are easier to conceal) into the rooms causing more damage. When someone is that nuts and is motivated, I'm not sure much would have stopped him.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)

i thought banning assault rifles fixes everything? lets just do that.

Like I mentioned earlier, the officer has two goals in these circumstances:

1) Take down the shooter

2) Delay shooter enough to prevent mass shootings before backup arrives

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)

We need to turn schools into prison-like complexes with a single ingress/egress portal. Lock that s*** down like high security.

Of course, actual high security facilities never fail their drills or casual assaults by nuns and old hippies, right?!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
Like I mentioned earlier, the officer has two goals in these circumstances:

1) Take down the shooter

2) Delay shooter enough to prevent mass shootings before backup arrives

3) be on the other side of the building from where the shooter starts shooting, being as much as a city block and a floor or two away

4) taking the first bullet fired directly in the skull