Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Outside of the 1930 era prohibition on buying fully automatic weapons, seriously, what's left that hasn't been dismantled?

Every state now has been forced to allow concealed carry. Military grade assault rifles are readily available for whatever type of massacre you'd like to commit. You have to get a permit in most places to carry a hidden gun on the street or into a business, and for some reason the government doesn't want you bringing guns into their buildings even though every other building has to put up with it. For crying out loud, we have more than a couple states now that allow them in schools and campuses, over the objection of basically everyone there. There hasn't been any new restriction on them since the AWB. The only 2 laws the President signed related to guns in his first term were bills allowing guns into National Parks (nuts) and onto Amtrak Trains (nuts).

Aside from me being able to go out and purchase an M-60 and walk into the supreme court chambers with it, what's left?

So unless there's a full ban on a type of gun there are no restrictions on guns in this country?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
the NRA is insane

edit: ha, most of their references are to 90's-era movies and games. Mortal Kombat! Natural Born Killers!

#8 is 100% true though. I still can't believe they interviewed kids HOURS after the shooting.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Why stop at schools? Mass shootings happen everywhere. We'll need armed guards in churches, movie theaters, malls, sporting events, parks, libraries, and on public transit.

Public transport could use more policing, considering the amount of incidents that occur anyways on places like the EL. Private companies/churches can decide if they want an armed guard presence already.

100,000 public schools in the US, at least one armed guard for each school, $50,000 per year salary for each guard = At least $5,000,000,000 per year added to the education budget. Most schools can barely even afford enough teachers and books.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
100,000 public schools in the US, at least one armed guard for each school, $50,000 per year salary for each guard = At least $5,000,000,000 per year added to the education budget. Most schools can barely even afford enough teachers and books.

A substantial VAT on all guns and ammunition to pay for it. At least cover the cost of your externalities.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Remember those are the far extreme views. Not everyone who owns guns thinks that way. That is just a very vocal minority. The NRA does some very good things with creating and sponsoring gun safety courses. If everyone who owned a gun was required to take these courses, people like the mother of Lanza, would probably have had her guns secured better.

Again...people in this very thread have explained why it is vitally important to them to have their guns at home unlocked, loaded, and easily accessible.

And in this case, it was a 20 year old. If his mother had secured her weapons better, he could have walked into Walmart and bought the same guns, unless he's been committed to a mental institution.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
I note how you couldn't come up with a single example of an important restriction remaining.

Because there are several obvious ones that apparently don't qualify under your "important" designation - waiting periods, registration requirements, transportation restrictions, etc. You framed the argument as if the NRA is so successful that there aren't ANY restrictions on guns. That's a bunch of bulls***.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
Again...people in this very thread have explained why it is vitally important to them to have their guns at home unlocked, loaded, and easily accessible.

And in this case, it was a 20 year old. If his mother had secured her weapons better, he could have walked into Walmart and bought the same guns, unless he's been committed to a mental institution.

If you're referring to me, that's not what I said. I said my guns used to be out, UNLOADED, but with ammo nearby - that was in response to SS' argument that guns AND ammo should be in separate, locked locations which defeats the entire purpose of having a gun for protection.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
Ptatc youve been making good points through out this thread.

The problem with guns versus drunk driving, is that if you drunk drive you broke the law and therefore you can be subject to punishment.

Conversely, if you are on the street and you fire your weapon in self-defense, and it ends up killing someone, you arguably have broken no law.

I think we both agree that we want to stop innocent people being killed, its just how do we legislate against accidental shootings, if under current laws there is arguably nothing against the law? That is why handgun bans etc are useful tools, they allow people to be charged with a crime if someone innocent is harmed.

I am always a proponent of punishing the person who did something wrong, as opposed to punishing society for the wrongdoings of individuals.

I would agree with your point except that you need to start earlier in the situation. You can use a gun and drink legally. When they both become illegal is when you do something that can harm someone. Drinking then driving. Shooting an innocent person. I understand the situation of shooting someone could be legal in self defense but that is for the court to decide.

My only point is that guns can be regulated without banning them just like many other situations (alcohol, controlled drugs). Punishments should be escalated this way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)

Some people have said that not everyone. I've stated repeatedly that guns at home should be locked up.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
Some people have said that not everyone. I've stated repeatedly that guns at home should be locked up.

I agree with you...but you and I agreeing on this does nothing. Just pointing out how far we have to go when people disagree with that sentiment.