Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Well, well...aren't you intolerant of others? While I may agree that some of Duke's posts are a bit over the top, saying things like your ashamed to live somewhere because of "extremists" like him, and implying that he shouldn't have as much political say as you is pretty extreme in and of itself, and goes against everything this country stands for. Personally, I think it's awesome we live in a place where people can have unpopular opinions, but that's a different post for a different time. Back to my original point, you love cherry picking things he says, such as calling Chicago a war zone, and then telling him it's insulting to others that actually live in areas with high gang activity...but it's ok for you to call him an "extremist"? Watch as I do the same thing to you as you: Extremists drive planes into buildings and kill innocent civilians, and it's a f***ing insult to the men and women of our military that face *actual* extremists on a daily basis when you compare a forum poster to one of them. See how easy that is to do?

As for a few of the things you said, you can always leave this embarrassing country that gives others a voice you deem inferior to your own, since it seems as if you've missed the point of being here in the first place.

...and second, and more importantly, he deserves equal say in policial matters, regardless of what you or others may think of his opinions. What makes your opinions more important than his aside from nothing?

What's funny is you don't even see how intolerant you were being with this post, not to mention condescending, because you actually believe your opinions are better than this and that his opinions have no insight, and should carry no weight whatsoever. This country was designed with the very thought of keeping people such as yourself at bay in the case they rise to power. To prevent people from forcing their opinions on others because they "know" they're superior opinions.

Now, before you start with an angry retort, do understand that I understand your thinking here...I've been there...it's easy to reply to a position you find extreme in an angry fashion on a forum such as this, especially during a heated political debate.

Ugh I hate when you paint yourself as the angelic middle man who is holier than everyone else on the board.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Well, well...aren't you intolerant of others? While I may agree that some of Duke's posts are a bit over the top, saying things like your ashamed to live somewhere because of "extremists" like him, and implying that he shouldn't have as much political say as you is pretty extreme in and of itself, and goes against everything this country stands for. Personally, I think it's awesome we live in a place where people can have unpopular opinions, but that's a different post for a different time. Back to my original point, you love cherry picking things he says, such as calling Chicago a war zone, and then telling him it's insulting to others that actually live in areas with high gang activity...but it's ok for you to call him an "extremist"? Watch as I do the same thing to you as you: Extremists drive planes into buildings and kill innocent civilians, and it's a f***ing insult to the men and women of our military that face *actual* extremists on a daily basis when you compare a forum poster to one of them. See how easy that is to do?

As for a few of the things you said, you can always leave this embarrassing country that gives others a voice you deem inferior to your own, since it seems as if you've missed the point of being here in the first place.

...and second, and more importantly, he deserves equal say in policial matters, regardless of what you or others may think of his opinions. What makes your opinions more important than his aside from nothing?

What's funny is you don't even see how intolerant you were being with this post, not to mention condescending, because you actually believe your opinions are better than this and that his opinions have no insight, and should carry no weight whatsoever. This country was designed with the very thought of keeping people such as yourself at bay in the case they rise to power. To prevent people from forcing their opinions on others because they "know" they're superior opinions.

Now, before you start with an angry retort, do understand that I understand your thinking here...I've been there...it's easy to reply to a position you find extreme in an angry fashion on a forum such as this, especially during a heated political debate.

you don't think that an opinion backed by rational thought and consideration is worth somewhat more than an opinion based in ignorance? so if I have an opinion because I've looked at the data, done the research, and thus I've decided to believe A, that it's worth EXACTLY the same as someone who says "screw all that, I believe B because that's what my daddy told me to believe." or "that's what this 2000 year old book tells me to believe" or "that's what Glenn Beck tells me to believe"?

because the problem with this is that ignorance is EASIER, so more people are going to be ignorant than not. giving them equal voices is probably what's led us to dive headfirst into the crapper like this the last 15 years, because major corporations, news media and pundits are choosing to FEED the ignorance and misinformation to create support for certain parties and platforms. the fact that we have instantaneous access to information would - theoretically - help people become MORE informed, but unfortunately it's done just the opposite, and strengthened and increased the amount of ignorance in this country... and it's really a shame.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Back to my original point, you love cherry picking things he says, such as calling Chicago a war zone, and then telling him it's insulting to others that actually live in areas with high gang activity

I love this, because it's not even close to cherry picking. Nuke has called Chicago a "war zone" multiple times and said you'd "have to be an idiot to not own a gun" or something to that manner and I've already called him out on this before.

I'm sorry, but Nuke lives in Lincoln Park. It's not a war zone over there, I know because I live 5 minutes away. Unfortunately, it is a war zone is some areas of this city and it's a god damn serious issue. It's offensive to the innocement victims of gang violence when Nuke acts like it's a city-wide problem and then uses it for his political agenda.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Being able to have any opinion you want and me wanting someone to have any opinion they want are two different things. Duke can have any opinion he wishes, but I'm still going to want him to agree with me.

i don't even want him to agree with me, i just wish that his opinions were well thought out and rational and that he could argue them without jumping the shark in every post.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
you don't think that an opinion backed by rational thought and consideration is worth somewhat more than an opinion based in ignorance? so if I have an opinion because I've looked at the data, done the research, and thus I've decided to believe A, that it's worth EXACTLY the same as someone who says "screw all that, I believe B because that's what my daddy told me to believe." or "that's what this 2000 year old book tells me to believe" or "that's what Glenn Beck tells me to believe"?

because the problem with this is that ignorance is EASIER, so more people are going to be ignorant than not. giving them equal voices is probably what's led us to dive headfirst into the crapper like this the last 15 years, because major corporations, news media and pundits are choosing to FEED the ignorance and misinformation to create support for certain parties and platforms. the fact that we have instantaneous access to information would - theoretically - help people become MORE informed, but unfortunately it's done just the opposite, and strengthened and increased the amount of ignorance in this country... and it's really a shame.

This is a great post. Thank you.

It was so easy to ban water bottles and tiny pocket knives after 9/11. It was so easy to write laws to require tamper resistant packaging after the Tylenol Murders. It was so easy to restrict certain sales of OTC medicines that are used to manufacture meth.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
i don't even want him to agree with me, i just wish that his opinions were well thought out and rational and that he could argue them without jumping the shark in every post.

And because YOU see them as rational doesn't mean they are. That's the part you and the other guy are conveniently forgetting.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)

Of course I think that opinion backed by rational thought and consideration is worth somewhat more than an opinion based on ignorance. However, you being the person that gets to decide what's rational is a different story altogether.

Ignorance IS easier...and it's ignorance that leads people to believe their way is the only way. In some cases they may even be right...but the second they start thinking that, it takes on a life of it's own.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)

You do this often, by the way.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
I love this, because it's not even close to cherry picking. Nuke has called Chicago a "war zone" multiple times and said you'd "have to be an idiot to not own a gun" or something to that manner and I've already called him out on this before.

I'm sorry, but Nuke lives in Lincoln Park. It's not a war zone over there, I know because I live 5 minutes away. Unfortunately, it is a war zone is some areas of this city and it's a god damn serious issue. It's offensive to the innocement victims of gang violence when Nuke acts like it's a city-wide problem and then uses it for his political agenda.

This is an absolutely LOL worthy reply, which I expected.

Yes, it was cherry picking, for the exact example I posted. If it's ok for you to take something he said and compare it to others in an extreme situation, then it's equally ok for me to cherry pick you calling him an extremist and compare it to ACTUAL extremists. :P By the way, a lot of people have called Chicago, as a whole, a war zone. Of course, he lives in Lincoln Park, which I wouldn't dub a war zone...but it's not all that far from one.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

Yes, it was cherry picking, for the exact example I posted. If it's ok for you to take something he said and compare it to others in an extreme situation, then it's equally ok for me to cherry pick you calling him an extremist and compare it to ACTUAL extremists. :P By the way, a lot of people have called Chicago, as a whole, a war zone. Of course, he lives in Lincoln Park, which I wouldn't dub a war zone...but it's not all that far from one.

I actually don't understand your post. Yes I called him an extremist, I didn't know its use was limited was limited to terrorism. Here's the definition of the word:

One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm, especially in politics.

Where does it say "terrorist" in there? Duke takes an extreme view on gun control, which makes him an extremist on the issue. I'd call someone saying to ban guns altogether an extremist as well. You're arguing semantics right now and missing the point entirely.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
I actually don't understand your post. Yes I called him an extremist, I didn't know its use was limited was limited to terrorism. Here's the definition of the word:

Where does it say "terrorist" in there? Duke takes an extreme view on gun control, which makes him an extremist on the issue. I'd call someone saying to ban guns altogether an extremist as well. You're arguing semantics right now and missing the point entirely.

Actually, that WAS the point...so it's you that missed it...laughably.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)

Your point is that the word "extremist" is exclusive to terrorists? Then you're just plain wrong and are apparently arguing for the sake of it.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
What's funny is you don't even see how intolerant you were being with this post, not to mention condescending, because you actually believe your opinions are better than this and that his opinions have no insight, and should carry no weight whatsoever.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)

You do realize that almost every post you make in this forum is condescending right? I had to double-check that you're in fact the guy on here who talks down to everyone about everything. Don't know why I'm even wasting my time arguing with you. The mighty Y2HH already has all the answers!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Of course I think that opinion backed by rational thought and consideration is worth somewhat more than an opinion based on ignorance. However, you being the person that gets to decide what's rational is a different story altogether.

Ignorance IS easier...and it's ignorance that leads people to believe their way is the only way. In some cases they may even be right...but the second they start thinking that, it takes on a life of it's own.

You've done a great job proving this yourself with your last few posts. Well done!

Dude, give it a f***ing rest. You are the perfect example of why we need more gun restrictions. Every one of your posts is filled with delusions and I get angry just reading them. I'm honestly ashamed to live in this country because there are so many stupid, crazy, extremists like yourself that get an equal say in political matters. You can't even have a rational discussion without rambling on about some nonsense unrelated the issue at hand. This country is doomed and it's because of people like you who can't accept the smallest amount of change without screaming about their freedoms being taken away by the big bad government.

Also, stop calling Chicago a "war zone". I don't care if you got mugged in Lincoln Park on your way home from Starbucks, it's f***ing insulting to the people actually who live in areas with high gang activity and are at risk on a daily basis.

Actually I've linked it all together pretty well.

Take away peoples guns -> Force whatever crazy backwards policy you want on them because they have no recourse to stop you. The example of Chicago is just so f***ing prudent and overwhelming I cannot help but use it. Only Chicago and DC effectively repealed the 2nd Amendment in their cities and (SHOCK) both have turned into notoriously crime ridden dens of murder.

The country is doomed because people dont take responsibility for anything anymore. The solution is always finding out what government can do to fix our problems, demanding action from our politicians, instead of actually changing our behavior. Its like we dont even trust ourselves to make the choice, just let government outlaw the alternative then give them more and more money to match up with its increasingly obtrusive role in our lives. Gun rights are the pinnacle of this transformation of our country, if we cannot even allow ourselves to be trusted with our own individual security then we've essentially given the government total control.

Yea. I'm a corporate shill for wanting to dismantle most of the federal government's apparatus. You know, the government who hand out billions in taxpayer funded to subsidies to corporate interests every year and plays the news media like a fiddle to frame our national debate.

I work in Lincoln Park. I dont live there.

I'm not saying exactly where I live in the city, I dont want to get into this cyber-slumming "I'M HOOD AND YOU AINT" discussion. The truth is that the crime in this city drags down the entire city, not just the areas where the killings occur.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Your point is that the word "extremist" is exclusive to terrorists? Then you're just plain wrong and are apparently arguing for the sake of it.

No, that wasn't my point.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
You've done a great job proving this yourself with your last few posts. Well done!

...and you fail again.

Maybe if you learned to be open an honest, all your problems would be solved! :D

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
You do realize that almost every post you make in this forum is condescending right? I had to double-check that you're in fact the guy on here who talks down to everyone about everything. Don't know why I'm even wasting my time arguing with you. The mighty Y2HH already has all the answers!

Yes, I do realize that. They're designed that way for a reason. ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Which is?

Don't you know me at all yet, Reddy? I'm always right, and you should do as I say, not as I do (unless I say you should do as I do, then do that). You know, almost exactly how you feel about most things. ;)