Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
By the way, it was revealed that the CT shooter only used handguns and left his .223 Bushmaster in the trunk. So much for HIGHLY DETACHABLE SEMI-AUTOMATIC BULLET HOSE ASSAULT CLIPS INVENTED TO MURDER CHILDREN story we've been hearing, the guy used guns you could've bought during the 94 ban.

Well, since you didn't bother providing a source, I went through to the Google to see if there was a new statement on the rifle posted from the last 24-48 hours. I certainly couldn't find one.

There was, of course, an incorrect report from the first 24-48 hours after the massacre that the shooter had left the assault rifle in the car. This was incorrect, and once the autopsy statements came forward that was made clear. The weapon that was left in the trunk of the car, based on previous, repeated police reports, was the shotgun that he also brought.

The shooter carried 3 weapons with him into the building, leaving the shotgun in the car.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that Nancy Lanza, who friends described as a gun enthusiast, purchased the weapons legally over a three-year period, beginning in 2010 with a Bushmaster XM-15 .223-caliber semi-automatic assault-style rifle -- the weapon that authorities say 20-year-old Adam Lanza used to mow down the victims in Friday’s rampage. She then bought a 9 mm Sig Sauer pistol in 2011, followed by a 10 mm Glock pistol in January 2012. Both weapons also were in Adam Lanza’s possession during his attack on the school, and he used the latter to kill himself when police arrived on the scene, authorities say.
According to all statements from the authorities I could find. the assault rifle was the weapon of choice. This was confirmed by the medical examiner and by police.

The weapon used primarily in the shootings was a long rifle, Carver said, and victims young and old were shot “all over” with some at close range and some not.

“I only did seven of the autopsies, the victims I had ranged from three to 11 wounds apiece and I only saw two of them with close range shooting,” Carver said.

The shooter who wielded that gun—discovered dead inside the building Friday with a rifle and two smaller guns near his body, police have said—has been widely reported to be Adam Lanza, 20. His motives remain unclear; state police are investigating.

Since you did not provide any link to any new source reporting that the previous statements on record by officials investigating the murders were incorrect, nor did you provide any reason why a ME might have mistaken small arms wounds for those by an assault rifle, I'm going to assume you're simply going off the initial reports which said that the rifle was left in the car, reports which turned out to be inaccurate.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
By the way, it was revealed that the CT shooter only used handguns and left his .223 Bushmaster in the trunk. So much for HIGHLY DETACHABLE SEMI-AUTOMATIC BULLET HOSE ASSAULT CLIPS INVENTED TO MURDER CHILDREN story we've been hearing, the guy used guns you could've bought during the 94 ban.

sweet, I'm already on board for a handgun ban.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Sounds good. Sign me up.

good. i don't want to see you wavering or backtracking on this. don't settle for anything less than all those guns banned.

if anything, we can just throw violent video games under the bus as a compromise.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
good. i don't want to see you wavering or backtracking on this. don't settle for anything less than all those guns banned.

if anything, we can just throw violent video games under the bus as a compromise.

No. Ban everything. I don't play video games.

A hell of a journey, but I got through all 81 pages of posts here.

I also read every single post in the CT school shooting thread.

*After all that reading, I can only conclude that if the SoxTalk community is statistically in any way representative of the actual public, there can never be any real, reasonable discussion on the issue of gun ownership/possession.

*Some opinion

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Well, since you didn't bother providing a source, I went through to the Google to see if there was a new statement on the rifle posted from the last 24-48 hours. I certainly couldn't find one.

There was, of course, an incorrect report from the first 24-48 hours after the massacre that the shooter had left the assault rifle in the car. This was incorrect, and once the autopsy statements came forward that was made clear. The weapon that was left in the trunk of the car, based on previous, repeated police reports, was the shotgun that he also brought.

The shooter carried 3 weapons with him into the building, leaving the shotgun in the car.

According to all statements from the authorities I could find. the assault rifle was the weapon of choice. This was confirmed by the medical examiner and by police.

Since you did not provide any link to any new source reporting that the previous statements on record by officials investigating the murders were incorrect, nor did you provide any reason why a ME might have mistaken small arms wounds for those by an assault rifle, I'm going to assume you're simply going off the initial reports which said that the rifle was left in the car, reports which turned out to be inaccurate.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 11:31 PM)
A hell of a journey, but I got through all 81 pages of posts here.

I also read every single post in the CT school shooting thread.

*After all that reading, I can only conclude that if the SoxTalk community is statistically in any way representative of the actual public, there can never be any real, reasonable discussion on the issue of gun ownership/possession.

*Some opinion

Welcome to the filibuster.

Welcome to the filibuster.

:P

Did anyone read this?

I don't see how anyone can talk about what truly happened with any certainty considering how the ME has apparently been anything BUT direct in answering some pretty straight forward questions.... And this is 10 days after!

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)

Did anyone read this?

I don't see how anyone can talk about what truly happened with any certainty considering how the ME has apparently been anything BUT direct in answering some pretty straight forward questions.... And this is 10 days after!

I don't know how true this stuff is or not, but it has just amazed me how much bad reporting went on in this situation.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)

Did anyone read this?

I'm not sure if I'm ok with you posting in the buster... or... well... anywhere on soxtalk for that matter.

my name is Andrew.

I live in New York.

Seeing your posts confuses the bajeezus out of me. There can only be one... :angry:

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
Grim milestone: Austin shooting apparently 500th homicide in Chicago

Just think if we registered and fingerprinted gun owners! And banned handguns! Problem solved.

Those shootings don't matter. Guns are only a problem when cute little white kids are getting shot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
The same amount of students are killed nearly every year in Chicago. I don't see much outrage over that.

You honestly don't understand why the human psyche has a bigger reaction to a class full of small children all being mowed down in one incident as opposed to one child at a time sporadically throughout the year?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
Grim milestone: Austin shooting apparently 500th homicide in Chicago

Just think if we registered and fingerprinted gun owners! And banned handguns! Problem solved.

Nobody in this thread has even once commented on how local bans are not effective when surrounded by areas with looser restrictions, it's true.

Just think, though, that if we registered and fingerprinted gun owners nation-wide and kept a national registry and decreased the ability to buy handguns in the first place, maybe there wouldn't be so many of them flooding the streets.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
The same amount of students are killed nearly every year in Chicago. I don't see much outrage over that.

I'm pretty sure multiple people in this thread have pushed back against the pro-gun excuse of "well if you take out gang-related shootings..." because we should care about that violence as well.

But, yeah, a single mass event where 20 children are slaughtered is going to cause a different reaction.