Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
You honestly don't understand why the human psyche has a bigger reaction to a class full of small children all being mowed down in one incident as opposed to one child at a time sporadically throughout the year?

I realize why there was a bigger reaction. But IMO the everyday gun violence is a way bigger issue than mass shootings, but since the everyday violence is secluded to a few bad neighborhoods, the majority of people don't concern themselves with it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
I realize why there was a bigger reaction. But IMO the everyday gun violence is a way bigger issue than mass shootings, but since the everyday violence is secluded to a few bad neighborhoods, the majority of people don't concern themselves with it.

I would be very happy with gun control that addresses that problem as well. Like strict handgun controls and a national registration that could crack down on straw purchases.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)

I agree. However, if you were to tell me that more gun control laws would lower these murder rates but would not solve mass murders, I'd sign on in a heart beat.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Nobody in this thread has even once commented on how local bans are not effective when surrounded by areas with looser restrictions, it's true.

Just think, though, that if we registered and fingerprinted gun owners nation-wide and kept a national registry and decreased the ability to buy handguns in the first place, maybe there wouldn't be so many of them flooding the streets.

All of those things are just bulls*** hoops to jump through. Not one of those things would prevent anyone from doing something criminal with a gun.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
All of those things are just bulls*** hoops to jump through. Not one of those things would prevent anyone from doing something criminal with a gun.

I'd guarantee that if done properly, we'd see decreases in gun homicides over time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I'd guarantee that if done properly, we'd see decreases in gun homicides over time.

I'm sure there would be a minimal decrease at a substantial cost to the 99.9% of gun owners and users that own/use their guns legally.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
I'm sure there would be a minimal decrease at a substantial cost to the 99.9% of gun owners and users that own/use their guns legally.

Lives are more important than gun owners' "costs". Nice to see your priorities are in order.

And again, who's saying ban guns? Adding a registry for all guns, a fingerprinting database, closing gun show loopholes, etc. doesn't prevent legal gun owners from obtaining guns.

I have yet to see you agree with or come up with any idea to change current gun controls laws/rules. Your entire attitude comes off as "why bother" so why do you devalue human life so much?

Edited by BigSqwert

The author of that article seems to be applying his own narrative to the events and using just as circumstantial evidence as he accuses the media and its loony followers of using...all while being forced to cite the very media that he doubts. I'm unmoved and the main lesson learned is that the media takes tips and sources from just about anyone and in the need to give quick information, a fair amount of info gets out there with very little vetting. I've been there working in smaller scale tragedies for an NBC affiliate and it is just a matter of getting info from wherever you can get it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Lives are more important than gun owners' "costs". Nice to see your priorities are in order.

And again, who's saying ban guns? Adding a registry for all guns, a fingerprinting database, closing gun show loopholes, etc. doesn't prevent legal gun owners from obtaining guns.

I have yet to see you agree with or come up with any idea to change current gun controls laws/rules. Your entire attitude comes off as "why bother" so why do you devalue human life so much?

Because I'm a realist. You can't and won't stop all manner of unfortunate deaths. We constantly "accept" death because it's too much of a cost to prevent and/or simply not worth the effort of trying. Anything to do with cars, cigarettes, alcohol, fast food, etc. We all know death for someone awaits, but we don't care because it's improbable that it will happen to you and we'd rather have the freedom to use those items even if it guarantees the death of X number of people a year.

Go back to page one. I've said to i'm fine making it more difficult to purchase guns. I'm fine having to register the guns you buy. I've fine having to get certified or trained to use a gun. I'm just not under the delusion that this will stop mass tragedies from happening or even reduce homicides by a significant amount. I should have clarified when I said those restrictions won't do ANYTHING. I'm talking about meaningful changes. And at that point it really does because a cost benefit analysis, just like everything else in society. IMO the benefit of the freedom to own a gun outweighs saving the relatively small number of people that might be saved from severely restricting that freedom, such as an outright ban on handguns.

And btw, you're the one like two pages ago that said you'd support banning certain types of guns.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
And btw, you're the one like two pages ago that said you'd support banning certain types of guns.

I'd support banning all guns, period, but I know that would never happen and I'm in the minority. I'll go for the next best thing which is heavier regulation, monitoring, and penalties.

Wanna make a quick buck?

Buy a spent AT4. Its an anti-tank launcher, you can pick up used ones for like $50 from crazy surplus dudes. After its first (and only) use its completely harmless.

Go to a gun buyback and sell it, you'll get $200.

Rise, wash, repeat.

If Chicago ever has a gun buyback I'm going to do this. The idiocy of liberals and their failed ideas sometimes work out.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 03:30 AM)
Wanna make a quick buck?

Buy a spent AT4. Its an anti-tank launcher, you can pick up used ones for like $50 from crazy surplus dudes. After its first (and only) use its completely harmless.

Rise, wash, repeat.

If Chicago ever has a gun buyback I'm going to do this. The idiocy of liberals and their failed ideas sometimes work out.

Dame-Sigh.gif

Wanna make a quick buck?

Rise, wash, repeat.

hey remember when you started a thread saying how you'd vote for rahm? good times.

I have some good news for you, they have those all the time in Chicago.

here's a couple examples:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/1337003...ck-program.html

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/19/pol...t-this-weekend/

Wanna make a quick buck?

Rise, wash, repeat.

There was a gun club in Philly that took all their old POC guns that didn't work anyway to a buyback, ended up with over $2k of gift cards and used those to buy ammo.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
There was a gun club in Philly that took all their old POC guns that didn't work anyway to a buyback, ended up with over $2k of gift cards and used those to buy ammo.

Getting these stupid guns off the streets is worth being taken advantage of by jerks like them (or the ones here endorsing them).

If you'd like to save that taxpayer money instead, we can be proactive and keep the guns from getting there in the first place.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Did you go to American Evangelical Christian University?

odd that going there also makes you a gun nut... doesn't that like... ya know... contradict everything jesus was about?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
I went to your run-of-the-mill state school that tries to brainwash you into voting Democrat for the rest of your life.

it really is a shame that facts, history and the truth skew liberal...