Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, the more I think about it the more I realize BigSqwert is right. This is a joke, nobody takes any of this seriously. Can anyone say with a straight face that they expect to be protected by the Chicago Police Department? You almost have to crack a smile. I know these are life and death situations and I know when you get down to it this is some serious s*** but when you hear people saying that passing laws against gun ownership will keep people who make money off smuggling drugs into the country from gettings guns you just kind of have to assume they're just f***ing joking.

Funny how so many conservatives think that banning abortion will eliminate abortions but banning guns won't do anything whatsoever.

I'm not pro-gun, but I do think that's an exaggeration of the position and a bad analogy. Banning something (drugs, abortion, guns) will greatly reduce their use because the overwhelming majority of citizens are law-abiding and the risk of arrest/prosecution is higher than the reward for breaking the law. However, regardless of what you are considering banning, there are those who will disregard the law.

Also, aside from the fetus in question, whatever abortion laws that exist don't present a threat to the lives of citizens. You may or may not agree with it, but the pro-gun folks will say that their own safety and the safety of others can be compromised by gun laws, so that's a big difference.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
I don't find that funny. You're pretty bad an interpreting my feelings. Besides, people could use anything as a weapon to defend themselves. Credit cards, hammers, pencils, you name it.

boom goes the dynamite.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
boom goes the dynamite.

Yes, because using a credit card to defend yourself against a criminal with a gun will do wonders. Just hope you and BS never find yourselves in that situation, because if you do...you won't be here to tell us about it.

If anything, that dynamite blew up in your face.

If you guys can't actually have a meaningful conversation, don't have one. Because all the bulls*** you've added to the conversation as of late is just that...absolute nonsensical bulls***.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
Never heard of the AK-47 have you? I'm just fooling, of course you have. You probably just dont know that its not an American firearm.

http://www.ak-47.us/USmade.php

Anyway, the problem in Central American countries is still largely weapons smuggled from the US, regardless of what other weapons may be manufactured in other places. And there's a lot more handgun violence than rifle violence, so talking about AK-47's that could potentially be smuggled into the US only illustrates how much more difficult it would be to obtain a gun.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Yes, because using a credit card to defend yourself against a criminal with a gun will do wonders. Just hope you and BS never find yourselves in that situation, because if you do...you won't be here to tell us about it.

If you guys can't actually have a meaningful conversation, don't have one. Because all the bulls*** you've added to the conversation as of late is just that...absolute nonsensical bulls***.

...you do realize the BS was mocking the pro-gun argument that some Republican rep. made that "anything can be a weapon, even credit cards!" right?

Because we keep hearing about how, on the one hand, this type of gun or this size magazine etc. are not especially deadly and look at all the other ways you can kill someone! but then we also hear about how anyone without a gun is defenseless or, more absurdly, how the government would be some tyrannical dictatorship without heavily armed civilians.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)

come on dude, we've gone through 90 pages of this. everyone knows where everyone stands. we're just rehashing the same damn arguments. what's the point anymore?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
...you do realize the BS was mocking the pro-gun argument that some Republican rep. made that "anything can be a weapon, even credit cards!" right?

Because we keep hearing about how, on the one hand, this type of gun or this size magazine etc. are not especially deadly and look at all the other ways you can kill someone! but then we also hear about how anyone without a gun is defenseless or, more absurdly, how the government would be some tyrannical dictatorship without heavily armed civilians.

I do, I actually was aiming that post at Reddy, not BS...but after I re-read it, I see I accidentally did just that.

http://www.ak-47.us/USmade.php

Anyway, the problem in Central American countries is still largely weapons smuggled from the US, regardless of what other weapons may be manufactured in other places. And there's a lot more handgun violence than rifle violence, so talking about AK-47's that could potentially be smuggled into the US only illustrates how much more difficult it would be to obtain a gun.

Yea those are all semi-auto, no more lethal than a G-19. They just look scarier.

The actual military AK-47, you may recognize it better from the media as a "high powered military grade assault rifle with high capacity clips", is not made in the USA. I mean it can be, but it'd be counterfeit which is illegal... so like since illegal guns would never find their way into America we know for a fact that never happens.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
come on dude, we've gone through 90 pages of this. everyone knows where everyone stands. we're just rehashing the same damn arguments. what's the point anymore?

It's just reached a point where you're posing The Sheldon Cooper Offensive at this point.

As Sheldon put it: You're now engaging in reductio ad absurdum. It's the logical fallacy of extending someone's argument to ridiculous proportions and then criticizing the result.

While I do this myself, I think you've all made your point now.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
Yea those are all semi-auto, no more lethal than a G-19. They just look scarier.

The actual military AK-47, you may recognize it better from the media as a "high powered military grade assault rifle with high capacity clips", is not made in the USA. I mean it can be, but it'd be counterfeit which is illegal... so like since illegal guns would never find their way into America we know for a fact that never happens.

nobody says that a total gun ban would eliminate all gun violence, but keep knocking down those straw men and talking about full-auto AK-47's. They're totally relevant.

How convenient.

I try not to concern myself with what other people do unless it affects me. If it does affect me I'd like to have some form of recourse against it that doesn't involve running to our corrupt government.

Because hey, as that guy who owned that auto-repair shop just learned the hard way, running away defenselessly is a great way to get killed.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
It's just reached a point where you're posing The Sheldon Cooper Offensive at this point.

As Sheldon put it: You're now engaging in reductio ad absurdum. It's the logical fallacy of extending someone's argument to ridiculous proportions and then criticizing the result.

Evidently you are new to filibuster...

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)

There's no reducto, though. The Rep. tried to say that we shouldn't ban guns because credit cards are deadly, too. You can't reduce that to a more-absurd level.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)

i'm pretty sure that's all this thread has been from day one - on BOTH sides of the aisle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Evidently you are new to filibuster...

Definitely not new here...as I expect this to happen a few times over the course of an argument, and actually use it quite often myself -- but after you've used it about 50 times in a row -- it's time to admit you have nothing left to add to the conversation and to stop clicking reply.

nobody says that a total gun ban would eliminate all gun violence, but keep knocking down those straw men and talking about full-auto AK-47's. They're totally relevant.

So if were not going to eliminate gun violence, and we've given up on that goal, what's the point of even taking them away? What's that often cited average gun deaths in the USA? 11k? At best where are we going to get that number in our lifetimes no matter what we do, maybe cut it in half? Even that sounds a bit delusional.

So yea, we cede our 2nd amendment right (one of the most critical rights anyone can have) to watch 5.5 thousand people a year get killed from heart disease instead of gun violence because that makes us feel better about ourselves.