Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
I do not care at all about that. Seriously, I wear a seatbelt because I'm not stupid... if stupid people want to not wear them then they can go off and get themselves killed. The statistics might not look as good, but the reality behind them is more-or-less unchanged.

Were getting off topic btw.

OTOH, it's probably best if a country doesn't have a bunch of its citizens being stupid about seat belts and getting themselves needlessly killed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"General welfare" from the Constitution be damned.

The SCOTUS has ruled that the welfare clause doesn't really grant the federal government any power. Obviously hasn't stopped the other two branches from going hog-wild with it.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
I do not care at all about that. Seriously, I wear a seatbelt because I'm not stupid... if stupid people want to not wear them then they can go off and get themselves killed. The statistics might not look as good, but the reality behind them is more-or-less unchanged.

Were getting off topic btw.

And yet, if the statistics say that you and your family are vastly less safe when owning a gun, you don't care. I could thus take that exact same first phrase and replace "wear a seatbelt" with "own a gun" and it would fit perfectly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
And yet, if the statistics say that you and your family are vastly less safe when owning a gun, you don't care. I could thus take that exact same first phrase and replace "wear a seatbelt" with "own a gun" and it would fit perfectly.

Well, yeah, he's advocating a sorta-anarchist libertarian position here, he's fine with no seatbelt laws and no gun laws.

OTOH, it's probably best if a country doesn't have a bunch of its citizens being stupid about seat belts and getting themselves needlessly killed.

Yea, they should slowly eat themselves to death to make sure they can be a burden on everyone else.

Written after an especially weak federal government structure had already failed.

The gap of the federal governments power in the Articles of Confederation and Constitution was plenty to ensure the government didn't collapse on itself. We've of course kept going in the same direction since then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
Not every argument must be a slippery slope. If something can be improved somewhat with laws, that doesn't mean that every law in the world must happen. We do this all the time. We didn't ban cars over 75 horsepower as a consequence of seatbelt laws.

Except that the stated purpose for many is the elimination of the second amendment.

Except that the stated purpose for many is the elimination of the second amendment.

And since the NFA of 1934 our Second Amendment rights have been slowly eroded, the only time we've seen a meaningful expansion of them is when the sunset provision from the 1994 ban kicked in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)

No, the stated purpose is reducing the insane number of shootings in this country. Eliminating the 2nd amendment is one possible mechanism.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
Gay sex is risky because you could get AIDS. IMO the government should ban gay sex, or at least force people to wear condoms.

Illinois has a felony punishment for criminal HIV transmission.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Now that Illinois has banned AIDS there should be no more AIDS. Whew.

Through decades of publicly funded research and AIDS awareness campaigns, the rate of HIV infection has stabilized (though it's still too high) and treatment for HIV is exponentially better than it was two decades ago. Much stronger protocols are in place to prevent accidental transmission in the medical world as well. Public policy in action.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
Through decades of publicly funded research and AIDS awareness campaigns, the rate of HIV infection has stabilized (though it's still too high) and treatment for HIV is exponentially better than it was two decades ago. Much stronger protocols are in place to prevent accidental transmission in the medical world as well. Public policy in action.

I thought the best defense of someone shooting their AIDs infected sperm at me was to shoot AIDs infected sperm back at them.

I thought the best defense of someone shooting their AIDs infected sperm at me was to shoot AIDs infected sperm back at them.

I'm already scared. We need to make more laws, then I'll feel better. Only police and military should be allowed to have AIDS.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
I'm already scared. We need to make more laws, then I'll feel better. Only police and military should be allowed to have AIDS.

If no one has AIDs what's to be scared of?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
Gay sex is risky because you could get AIDS. IMO the government should ban gay sex, or at least force people to wear condoms.

I fully feel that this is at best a suspendable post and at worst a bannable post. What year is this, 1991? I don't care if you're trying to be funny, or if you're just the dumbest f*** on the planet, but are you aware that people other than gay men get AIDS?

Seriously, you are detestable.

Edited by Steve9347

I fully feel that this is at best a suspendable post and at worst a bannable post. What year is this, 1991? I don't care if you're trying to be funny, or if you're just the dumbest f*** on the planet, but are you aware that people other than gay men get AIDS?

Seriously, you are detestable.

Are you f***ing kidding me?