Santa's Wish List

balfanman

Well, there doesn't seem to be any actual Sox news being made at the moment and I'm hopeful that somehow Mr. Hahn will give us a big time Christmas present, until then I'm just trying to satisfy my boredom at work.

So......... If you could have Santa grant your wish for any current player in the Sox organization to suddenly realize their fullest potential and become a perrenial All - Star in 2013 who would that be.

I'll choose Jordan Danks. I'd love for his great defense to be a staple in the Sox lineup for many years. If he could man centerfield and be a 280 - 300 avg. hitter with some power and speed it would allow the team to trade one of their other outfielders for help elsewhere on the diamond. I could get into say a DeAza - lf, Danks - cf, and Viciedo or Rios - rf.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Can't imagine the answer being anyone other than Gordon Beckham.

I thought hard about Gordon Beckham as he is an obvious choice here. If he could of kept going from his first season what a player we would've had. He would of been an elite number 3 hitter that we're still looking for. Most likely, with my personality (I hate going with the crowd), I knew others would select Beckham so I went with someone a little less obvious.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Well, there doesn't seem to be any actual Sox news being made at the moment and I'm hopeful that somehow Mr. Hahn will give us a big time Christmas present, until then I'm just trying to satisfy my boredom at work.

So......... If you could have Santa grant your wish for any current player in the Sox organization to suddenly realize their fullest potential and become a perrenial All - Star in 2013 who would that be.

I'll choose Jordan Danks. I'd love for his great defense to be a staple in the Sox lineup for many years. If he could man centerfield and be a 280 - 300 avg. hitter with some power and speed it would allow the team to trade one of their other outfielders for help elsewhere on the diamond. I could get into say a DeAza - lf, Danks - cf, and Viciedo or Rios - rf.

I gotta go Beckham. Viciedo's up there too, but I think he has a better shot of realizing his potential then Beckham. I don't think anybody really expected Jordan Danks to become a big star, so I haven't been upset with his development.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
I gotta go Beckham. Viciedo's up there too, but I think he has a better shot of realizing his potential then Beckham. I don't think anybody really expected Jordan Danks to become a big star, so I haven't been upset with his development.

That's great and all, but the question is not who is most likely, it's who would you like. The answer doesn't have to be based totally on realism, although it would help if it was somewhat realistic. Having someone hit 500 with 80 homeruns annually would be nice, but not realistic.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
I'll choose Jordan Danks. I'd love for his great defense to be a staple in the Sox lineup for many years. If he could man centerfield and be a 280 - 300 avg. hitter with some power and speed it would allow the team to trade one of their other outfielders for help elsewhere on the diamond.

This strikes me as a shocking choice, as Danks very well is at his ceiling as we speak.

If the point is ..just name someone who you want to be all-star level.. then I guess I'm misunderstanding the overall goal. If anyone is going to be at all-star level, then anyone can be the answer.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
That's great and all, but the question is not who is most likely, it's who would you like. The answer doesn't have to be based totally on realism, although it would help if it was somewhat realistic. Having someone hit 500 with 80 homeruns annually would be nice, but not realistic.

No your question was who would you like to reach their fullest potential. Danks fullest potential is not a perennial all star.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
No your question was who would you like to reach their fullest potential. Danks fullest potential is not a perennial all star.

It's a matter of semantics. I would say that when Danks was drafted that some scouts thought that an All Star would be his fullest potential. I think that it's just been his years in the minor leagues that have tempered expectations. No disagreemant and we're cool. I was just really looking for someone, if you could only have one, that you would like to see "explode on the scene" so to speak.

Major league team: Gordon Beckham

I would of picked Viciedo, but his potential is pretty much just a big HR slugger, which he seems to be not that far off from. He is at least improving in that direction. Beckham, however, had the potential to be the best 2B of the decade. Solid power, great average, decent speed, great defense. If he kept improving from 2009, he would be up there with the Pedroia's and Cano's and Kinslers in baseball.

Minor league team: Chris Beck

Beck was supposed to be a top 10, even top 5 draft pick. His senior year he put on muscle mass, fell off a bit, and dropped in the draft. Would be AWESOME if he can turn back in to that top 5 pick and him and Sale can be our future 1-2 punch for the future.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Major league team: Gordon Beckham

I would of picked Viciedo, but his potential is pretty much just a big HR slugger, which he seems to be not that far off from. He is at least improving in that direction. Beckham, however, had the potential to be the best 2B of the decade. Solid power, great average, decent speed, great defense. If he kept improving from 2009, he would be up there with the Pedroia's and Cano's and Kinslers in baseball.

Minor league team: Chris Beck

Beck was supposed to be a top 10, even top 5 draft pick. His senior year he put on muscle mass, fell off a bit, and dropped in the draft. Would be AWESOME if he can turn back in to that top 5 pick and him and Sale can be our future 1-2 punch for the future.

Chris Beck is a great call as well.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
From a pure athletic standpoint, it would be hard to not go with Jared Mitchell. That will probably never happen, bt we are talking Santa here.

Came here to say this. He would look great at the top of the order and in CF, but again, I'm not betting on it at this point.