AJ Pierzynski Appreciation thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
He will. I just hope fans don't boo him like idiot Twins fans did, or even bigger idiot Indians fans did to Thome.

I don't want to meet the Sox fan who would boo AJ.

Ok...maybe I'd boo after he'd hit the 3rd HR off of our pitching that day...but aside from that...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

Statement from White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf on A.J. Pierzynski, who signed with the Texas Rangers on Wednesday:

"A.J. Pierzynski played a major role in many of the greatest moments in recent Chicago White Sox history. From reaching first base in Game 2 of the 2005 American League Championship Series, to his double in Game 3 of the World Series in Houston, to his performance behind the plate during the 2008 "Blackout Game" division-winning 1-0 victory, A.J. was a key contributor, often in his own very unique way.

"Every White Sox fan appreciates and celebrates what A.J. meant to this organization during his time in Chicago. A.J. epitomized Chicago's South Side through his toughness, his attitude, his flair for the dramatic and his passion for the game. He came to compete - and to win - every day.

"A.J. will forever be appreciated and remembered by White Sox fans as a very special member of this franchise. He earned that spot in our hearts. I personally wish A.J. the very best with the Rangers and with the rest of his career. I suspect U.S. Cellular Field will be one ballpark where A.J. Pierzynski will never be booed. He's earned our cheers."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
He will. I just hope fans don't boo him like idiot Twins fans did, or even bigger idiot Indians fans did to Thome.

You can never underestimate the idiocy of meathead fans, but I think those situations are much different. First of all, he won a WS here and had a much better legacy in Chicago than he did in Minnesota. With Thome, I realize management was at fault, but he still left town for a s***load of money, which fans don't like.

Statement from AJ:

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7963642.story

Says talks never got serious but most of us kind of knew they would move on from him and give Tyler a shot.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Reinsdorf statement: “A.J. will forever be appreciated and remembered by White Sox fans as a very special member of this franchise...''

"He earned that spot in our hearts. I personally wish A.J. the very best with the Rangers and with the rest of his career.''

“Every White Sox fan appreciates and celebrates what A.J. meant to this organization during his time in Chicago.''

'AJ epitomized the South Side through his toughness, attitude, flair for the dramatic and his passion for the game. He came win every day.'

Great quotes there. Really sums up my feelings and I'm sure I'm not alone.

From the moment we signed him I was excited and embraced him. A very important player in sox history and we won't forget what he brought to Chicago. Thanks AJ! Wish you the best except against us.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
That Dodgers game was awesome. Thanks for the service AJ, greatly appreciated.

Oh, and yaaaay we got to yell obscenities at AJ now!

YUP. That was the greatest non-WS 2005 moment! Thanks for reminding me! I JUMPED off the couch when he hit that walk-off.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
You can never underestimate the idiocy of meathead fans, but I think those situations are much different. First of all, he won a WS here and had a much better legacy in Chicago than he did in Minnesota. With Thome, I realize management was at fault, but he still left town for a s***load of money, which fans don't like.

Excellent statement by Mr. Reinsdorf. You are right, though, as Yankee fans have shown in the past. Excessive drinking of beer can lead to boorish behavior, even the booing of AJ in Chicago. I'd think his first at bat will be a special moment. I bet the fans are standing and cheering.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
Would the Sox consider retiring AJ's number? I personally feel that he falls just a little shy of having it retired.

Absolutely not and it's not even close IMO. There already is the statue of him outside for his WS accomplishment. Buehrle & Konerko are the only ones who could even be discussed.

Just got an email from a pal who listened. His synopsis:

Last season Robin allowed girlfriends to fly on the charter jet on road trip. Apparently wives were only allowed with Ozzie. All season long, AJ openly complained about this, sometimes in front of said gf's. This pissed a lot of the single Sox off big time.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Just got an email from a pal who listened. His synopsis:

Last season Robin allowed girlfriends to fly on the charter jet on road trip. Apparently wives were only allowed with Ozzie. All season long, AJ openly complained about this, sometimes in front of said gf's. This pissed a lot of the single Sox off big time.

Scandalous. Sports radio must really be dying if they have to spend time talking about girlfriends on the team plane.

Edited by Dick Allen