AJ Pierzynski Appreciation thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 01:17 AM)
Apparently Matt Spiegal said on the SCORE today that he was told AJ was telling anyone who would listen last year that he didn't respect Ventura.

Never heard that but I will wait to see if it gets some exposure in the paper or MLB websites

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
Apparently Matt Spiegal said on the SCORE today that he was told AJ was telling anyone who would listen last year that he didn't respect Ventura.

Well Matt Spiegel was not on the SCORE today so nice try. Lovie Smith got fired today if you haven't heard and that is what was talked about. If you look back in the thread a few days this topic is talked about. Spiegel did say this about AJ among other things. Look at the thread from last week.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
Well Matt Spiegel was not on the SCORE today so nice try. Lovie Smith got fired today if you haven't heard and that is what was talked about. If you look back in the thread a few days this topic is talked about. Spiegel did say this about AJ among other things. Look at the thread from last week.

Like I said, was told. Thanks for the clarification.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
AJ took out a full page ad in today's Chicago Tribune. What a class act. He will be missed.

What a great gesture. I hope Flowers is ready to take the next step to greatness. That's the only way losing AJ will be acceptable to me. I'm convinced Sox fans will give AJ a great reception in the Cell next season, such a well deserved standing ovation it will be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Personally, the "As soon as it's official and AJ is gone, so we will start bashing him and telling some supposed stories out of school" routine, doesn't work for me. AJ was so hated and no one could play for him, that he signed 3 or 4 White Sox contracts. Rozner, who I really like, and Speigel, should be embarrassed they spent their show with this crap. Now, if they want to have someone actually speak on the record, that could be different.

It's very common for all the garbage to come out about a player after they leave. Many reporters will keep things quiet while the player is is in town to maintain the relationship. However, as was said Rozner has always told stories about AJ. Many pitching coaches haven't liked him because he would call his own game regardless of what others, including the coaches thought. He was right many times, depending on the coach.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Ozzie Smith is in the Hall of Fame. Have you ever looked at his career numbers? He could steal and draw a walk - and that's about it.

There were a few years where Ozzie Guillen was actually a borderline star in the league based upon his WAR. He was an incredibly gifted defensive shortstop. He also made a lot of contact and generally had great control of the bat.

If Alexei Ramirez puts up another year like he did last year, he'll be well on the Ozzie Guillen path.

His highest war with the Sox was 3.8, overall, his career WAR with the Sox is very similar to Ron Karkovice. I will say Ozzie was an elite Ss defensively until he hurt his knee in 1992. After that he was a replacement level player, although he usually would bear down in big situations and get some hits. I think he gave up more AB than any White Sox I have ever seen.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
What a great gesture. I hope Flowers is ready to take the next step to greatness. That's the only way losing AJ will be acceptable to me. I'm convinced Sox fans will give AJ a great reception in the Cell next season, such a well deserved standing ovation it will be.

I'd settle for just being average, or, not being bad (offensively). Defensively, I think he'll be an upgrade.

Been White Sox fan for 57 years. Most disgusting

non deal Soxhave made.AJ was great handler of

pitching staff and a good team player. Makes me

want to quit being Sox fan.

Why keep some of the worthless pitchers that cost

them games last year and let AJ walk is beyond

my comprehension.

QUOTE (Arno @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)

my comprehension.

People get old. Baseball is a young man's game. Fisk had to go in 1993 whether he liked it or not. Thomas left after 2005 whether he liked it or not. It happens; baseball moves on.

QUOTE (Arno @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)

my comprehension.

Welcome to SoxTalk!

I liked AJ a lot too, but you have to be realistic. AJ is 36 and put up a season in 2012 that was way, way above his normal offensive output. What do you think the chances are he gets even close to that a year later, as a catcher? Close to none. So you are really only looking to replace his average output (or less, given his age and position), along with his below average defensive skills. And for pitcher handling, Sox pitchers seem to really like working with Flowers. So, why spend an extra $7M on AJ, for what would probably be similar production? Because without it, it could be the Sox weren't able to re-sign Peavy, or get Keppinger, or make some other future move.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Welcome to SoxTalk!

I liked AJ a lot too, but you have to be realistic. AJ is 36 and put up a season in 2012 that was way, way above his normal offensive output. What do you think the chances are he gets even close to that a year later, as a catcher? Close to none. So you are really only looking to replace his average output (or less, given his age and position), along with his below average defensive skills. And for pitcher handling, Sox pitchers seem to really like working with Flowers. So, why spend an extra $7M on AJ, for what would probably be similar production? Because without it, it could be the Sox weren't able to re-sign Peavy, or get Keppinger, or make some other future move.

I really feel that even throwing out the money, AJ and Flowers will be closer to each other this season than most people think. Especially if you factor in the extras that we will get from Flower throwing game and defense, plus an inevitable fall back from AJ.

QUOTE (Arno @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)

my comprehension.

Makes you want to quit the team you've supported for 57 years? One trade?? Jaysus! :o

That's an impressively mental knee-jerk reaction :lol: :lol:

Welcome to Soxtalk, by the way. They're a decent shower o' feckwits around here.