Sox seeking LH bat

joeynach

This from MLBTR, The White Sox are looking around for a left-handed hitter, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). The club has also made it known once again that Gavin Floyd is available. Interest in the right-hander is said to be high and the Orioles are one of the clubs who have him on the radar.Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#b7YcVcixXWVrMXpR.99

That begs the question who would they be considering and what current position player would they be looking to replace/upgrade.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)
This from MLBTR, The White Sox are looking around for a left-handed hitter, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). The club has also made it known once again that Gavin Floyd is available. Interest in the right-hander is said to be high and the Orioles are one of the clubs who have him on the radar.Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#b7YcVcixXWVrMXpR.99

That begs the question who would they be considering and what current position player would they be looking to replace/upgrade.

Ryan Flaherty...?

Markakis is the only Oriole who profiles as the kind of left handed hitter, for whom I think Hahn is searching.

He's a similar hitter to Ethier, but a better defender. He would fill the need for a middle of the order, left handed bat, with a high OBP.

I'd like to see a trade of Floyd and Viciedo for Markakis and a top right handed pitching prospect.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
Markakis is the only Oriole who profiles as the kind of left handed hitter, for whom I think Hahn is searching.

He's a similar hitter to Ethier, but a better defender. He would fill the need for a middle of the order, left handed bat, with a high OBP.

I'd like to see a trade of Floyd and Viciedo for Markakis and a top right handed pitching prospect.

Markakis was actually a name I'd thought of, and I imagine Hahn and company have too. He's a great hitter. I don't think they'd acquire him without dealing Rios, though, because both are most comfortable and accustomed to playing and hitting out of RF.

Of course, the other question is, how much does Floyd actually do for the Orioles?

(oh, and who do I have to "touch inappropriately" to make sure Dylan Bundy (Al's illegimate, much more talented son) ends up on the White Sox?)

I could see them having interest in an experienced starter and even at his worst Gavin is an innings-eater, which is something the Orioles desperately need given that only 1 SP pitched more than 135 innings last year. Floyd could make even more sense for the Orioles since he's from Maryland and would probably be willing to sign a more affordable extension than a lot of similar pitchers.

Honestly, I'd probably do a Rios+Floyd for Markakis+prospect trade. Rios & Markakis each have two years left on their deal plus a team option, but Markakis' salary is a lot higher. $15M per in 2013 & 2014 and the option is for $17.5M, which seems unlikely to be exercised. I'm not sure why the Orioles would want to move Markakis, but he's exactly what's missing from our offense: a high AVG, high OBP guy who bats from the left-side of the plate.

That would leave us with a lineup of De Aza, Keppinger, Markakis, Konerko, Dunn, Viciedo, Flowers, Beckham, & Ramirez.

I'd still look to add a left-handed infielder into the mix (as a starter, platoon, or bench player), but this offense seems much more balanced than last year's.

The only thing is I would love to give Gavin a full year throwing to flowers to see if there's any difference, I have a feeling a few of these pitchers weren't connecting with AJ lately. I recall gavin's better games were caught by flowers.

Floyd + DeAza for Markakis + Arietta is a great deal for both teams IMO. For Baltimore, they cut salary, get an easily extendable Floyd (few good SP are going to want to play in Baltimore, especially at fair market value or less), plus they get a controllable OF who they can also afford. And for the Sox, Arietta has a lot of potential, is a righty, and Markakis helps now. Also if I spelled Arietta's name incorrectly it is because I am a rebel & rebels like me do things like that on purpose, not necessarily because they are too lazy to look the player up on baseball-reference.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
Floyd + DeAza for Markakis + Arietta is a great deal for both teams IMO. For Baltimore, they cut salary, get an easily extendable Floyd (few good SP are going to want to play in Baltimore, especially at fair market value or less), plus they get a controllable OF who they can also afford. And for the Sox, Arietta has a lot of potential, is a righty, and Markakis helps now. Also if I spelled Arietta's name incorrectly it is because I am a rebel & rebels like me do things like that on purpose, not necessarily because they are too lazy to look the player up on baseball-reference.

I see three problems included De Aza in such a trade:

1) We'd still only have two left-handed hitters in the lineup

2) We'd have no leadoff hitter

3) Rios would have to play CF

I'm not against moving De Aza, but unless a second move is made, I don't think this trade alone works for us.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Pathetic. :wub:

Why is everybody in a hurry to trade Rios? At this point, he's our best player and his contract is fair to good.

I agree entirely, and have been saying so ever since he abandoned that awful batting stance, and started playing up to his potential.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Pathetic. :wub:

Why is everybody in a hurry to trade Rios? At this point, he's our best player and his contract is fair to good.

Because he hasn't put back to back good seasons together since 07 and 08. It's a fairly safe bet that Alex will have a significant drop off in production from 2012 to 2013.