Sox seeking LH bat

joeynach

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Well once again, I said depending on how the Sox view Sanchez. I don't follow the minors close enough to know whether or not he's ready, I just remember hearing he had an awesome year and some rumblings that he may be considered for a spot in the lineup this coming up year.

AZ is pretty well stacked everywhere else, they don't need an OFer or SPs so that's the only logical trade I can think of. Looks like they can use Thornton but I don't think a package around him would be enough. Thornton+ for Parra??

The Sox talking Sanchez up was probably an effort to raise both his trade value and to help them see if someone would offer something big for anyone else in their IF. If they go into this season with him as a starter, it's a rebuilding year. At the best he should be a year away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
The Sox talking Sanchez up was probably an effort to raise both his trade value and to help them see if someone would offer something big for anyone else in their IF. If they go into this season with him as a starter, it's a rebuilding year. At the best he should be a year away.

Gotcha.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)

I think Sanchez could possibly steal 2B from Beckham by the all-star break, but at this point there is no absolutely no reason for him to start anywhere but AAA next year. That way he can continue to develop and still provide a nice insurance policy at all three IF positions.

As for adding a left-handed bat, it's either got to be a big time bat like Markakis or someone on the cheap who can fill a bench spot. I have no interest is trading talent for an expensive platoon player who doesn't offer any positive defensive abilities.

The club has also made it known once again that Gavin Floyd is available.

I'm not sure why everyone seems so eager to run Gavin Floyd out of town. As it stands, the fifth spot in the rotation is already a question mark, and that's not taking into account Danks coming off an injury, Peavy- who I think is great, but I continue to fear may spontaneously combust one day while he's packing a can of Skoal, and Sale the twig.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
I was thinking maybe he could play LF. I know that he's a gold glove first baseman, but have no idea if he could play LF.

You really like the idea of putting players in left that have never played the position before

Too bad they couldn't get that catcher the Rangers signed . . . He would have made a nice veteran backup to Flowers. Maybe next season.

Every time I read the topic title I keep thinking, hey guys, bats are not like gloves

or

They won't need too many LH bats. About 90% of the team uses RH bats.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
You really like the idea of putting players in left that have never played the position before

No, I don't like it, but I really didn't check to see if LaRoche had ever played the outfield.

I'm just "grasping at straws", that's all. I guess hearing suggestions like obtaining Kubel for LF, made me panic.

I'm getting pretty pessimistic about this team finding that middle of the order, left handed bat.

You've all read that I'm dead set against Dunn batting any lower than 5TH, and he just may be back in the three hole this season.

What a disaster?

Kubel can be a MONSTER when he's hot. So what he fell off the last few months, that team sucked and he had no protection for him in that lineup. I watched him scorch the ball game after game here in AZ. He was one of the best hitters in baseball for weeks. He can spell tank vs RH or spell Rios vs RH. He's affordable, i just don't know what we have that AZ wants, although Towers is a terrible GM... Maybe Quintana and Thornton get it done? But that weakens our pen and rotation depth for a part time hitter...albeit a power LH hitter that our lineup needs. Tough decisions.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
Steve Gilbert ‏@SteveGilbertMLB

Possibly. They would like to add outfielder. RT @ImDaBaron White Sox in talks for Kubel?

https://twitter.com/SteveGilbertMLB

That right there tells me they already have a few offers in one of their outfielders. I don't think they make this move unless they do. I kinda doubt they'd trade anything of value for a platoon player and unless they plan on moving Dayan to 3B there's no room for all 4 of them.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
That right there tells me they already have a few offers in one of their outfielders. I don't think they make this move unless they do. I kinda doubt they'd trade anything of value for a platoon player and unless they plan on moving Dayan to 3B there's no room for all 4 of them.

This.

It seems like some of us here want a trade just to make a trade.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
Kubel can be a MONSTER when he's hot. So what he fell off the last few months, that team sucked and he had no protection for him in that lineup. I watched him scorch the ball game after game here in AZ. He was one of the best hitters in baseball for weeks. He can spell tank vs RH or spell Rios vs RH. He's affordable, i just don't know what we have that AZ wants, although Towers is a terrible GM... Maybe Quintana and Thornton get it done? But that weakens our pen and rotation depth for a part time hitter...albeit a power LH hitter that our lineup needs. Tough decisions.

Quintana for Kubel? Oh my god that's awful. Thornton too? That's like the Nick Swisher trade all over again. And the last thing the Sox need is an inconsistent hitter who just goes on hot stretches. We have too many of those guys.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
We still looking at slugs? Bad defensive players?? We need to shore up the d, smart players that do the lil things, intangibles, that souls be the focus of the org from top to bottom

Seriously Kubel is not the right way to go. Markakis makes so much more sense. He brings so much more to the table. I'm not saying we need guys with intangibles or heart and soul, I'm saying we need guys who aren't defensively challenged and are clear upgrades over what we have now. Don't trade for a guy just because he's left handed.

Edited by chw42