Sox seeking LH bat

joeynach

I know it's been addressed in a few posts, but who should reasonably be on the Sox wish list of LH bats going forward? If the Sox were to make a trade, who would best fit the Sox needs,who would be locked up for a few years that would be worth the sox trading valuable players/ prospects for? Carlos Gonzalez? Jay Bruce? Chase Headley? Ben Zobrist? Not all [maybe any] would be on the block. But if the Sox came in with on overwhelming offer (without including Sale), what teams would listen, or at least not laugh and hang up?

Also, could there be LH bats in the upper minors that could be worth trading for, that could develop into a key building block?

Edited by beck72

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
I know it's been addressed in a few posts, but who should reasonably be on the Sox wish list of LH bats going forward? If the Sox were to make a trade, who would best fit the Sox needs,who would be locked up for a few years that would be worth the sox trading valuable players/ prospects for? Carlos Gonzalez? Jay Bruce? Chase Headley? Ben Zobrist? Not all [maybe any] would be on the block. But if the Sox came in with on overwhelming offer (without including Sale), what teams would listen, or at least not laugh and hang up?

Also, could there be LH bats in the upper minors that could be worth trading for, that could develop into a key building block?

If Ben Zobrist is available, the Sox should go after him. I just don't see what they possibly could give up to make Tampa bite.

You know, I can actually see some benefit to both sides for a trade for CarGo. It would be centered on Viciedo and probably include whichever two pitching prospects the Rockies would like best. However, the financials would have to line up -- the Sox would have to take on that contract and the Rockies would have to need to move it and save money, otherwise they'd just trade him for a stud SP package.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
If Ben Zobrist is available, the Sox should go after him. I just don't see what they possibly could give up to make Tampa bite.

Zobrist is the kind of underrated, versatile player the sox could use. And under contract with options for '14 [7 mill.] and '15 [7.5 mill.]. He's playing mostly 2b for the Rays, with Joyce seeing most time in RF. You'd think Hahn would be going to teams and asking what it would take to pry away certain players.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
Zobrist is the kind of underrated, versatile player the sox could use. And under contract with options for '14 [7 mill.] and '15 [7.5 mill.]. He's playing mostly 2b for the Rays, with Joyce seeing most time in RF. You'd think Hahn would be going to teams and asking what it would take to pry away certain players.

Honestly, I'd imagine Zobrist is one of the more untouchable players around. From everything I've heard, the Rays absolutely love him and he pretty much personifies their play style.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
You know, I can actually see some benefit to both sides for a trade for CarGo. It would be centered on Viciedo and probably include whichever two pitching prospects the Rockies would like best. However, the financials would have to line up -- the Sox would have to take on that contract and the Rockies would have to need to move it and save money, otherwise they'd just trade him for a stud SP package.

FWIW, I was at a Rockies game in 2011 and fans were booing CarGo. In talking with a guy who had season tickets, CarGo is frustrating in that he doesn't play "smart" baseball. Overly anxious at the plate when the situation called for being patient, trying too hard to hit HR's [which has worked well at Coors, with huge differential in H vs Away splits].

Tulo could do no wrong there. So with two huge salaries, CarGo would most likely go.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
Honestly, I'd imagine Zobrist is one of the more untouchable players around. From everything I've heard, the Rays absolutely love him and he pretty much personifies their play style.

It couldn't hurt a team to call the Rays up.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)

Yeah I agree. I think people around here like to drop the "it would cost Sale" bomb way too much, but in all honestly Zobrist is a great, versatile player under team control for three years at a club friendly rate. There's just no reason for the Rays to move him right now unless it makes their existing team better and the only guy who does that on the Sox is Sale. Unfortunately, Zobrist is just a pipe dream.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
Ryan sweeney is a lh free agent....

Could actually be a reasonable option/fit. Only problem is we already signed a LH hitting backup OF. Sweeney could be useful if we were carrying a large bench and going with only a 6 man pen. Otherwise, with a 4 man bench, I tend to prefer having 2 guys who can play the IF over 2 guys who can play the OF, seems easier to move a guy to an OF spot for a day if things get tight than the otehr way around.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Yeah I agree. I think people around here like to drop the "it would cost Sale" bomb way too much, but in all honestly Zobrist is a great, versatile player under team control for three years at a club friendly rate. There's just no reason for the Rays to move him right now unless it makes their existing team better and the only guy who does that on the Sox is Sale. Unfortunately, Zobrist is just a pipe dream.

I just asked what LH bats the Sox would want to start with, even with the premise that not everyone might be available, pipe dream or not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
I'd really like this suggestion. How is his defense these days, 3b/middle IF?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kennead01.shtml

According to them his Fld% at 3b is .967 and at 2b its .958 for last season. Looking at it though he only played like 60 games last season. 2011 @3b he was .965, 2b .993 and 1b .992 in 140 games

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kennead01.shtml

According to them his Fld% at 3b is .967 and at 2b its .958 for last season. Looking at it though he only played like 60 games last season. 2011 @3b he was .965, 2b .993 and 1b .992 in 140 games

No offense, but I don't feel like I learned anything from this statistic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Seriously, how many backup IF's/utility guys would you not say that about?

Probably zero.

However, with how far away we are from the Tigers at this point, is our backup or utility infielder's defense prowess really a major concern?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Probably zero.

However, with how far away we are from the Tigers at this point, is our backup or utility infielder's defense prowess really a major concern?

Honestly, yes, and I think last year should have shown that. We could have had an extra game or two in the W column with a solid backup IF, maybe more if Robin felt comfortable enough to rest guys. Olmedo is my response there.

I get why the bench became so weak last year, because we traded away portions of it to find starters, and that was the sacrifice we had to make after injuries happened. But there's definitely wins that can be found with a deeper bench this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Honestly, yes, and I think last year should have shown that. We could have had an extra game or two in the W column with a solid backup IF, maybe more if Robin felt comfortable enough to rest guys. Olmedo is my response there.

I get why the bench became so weak last year, because we traded away portions of it to find starters, and that was the sacrifice we had to make after injuries happened. But there's definitely wins that can be found with a deeper bench this year.

Yeah, fair enough.

I don't think we'll be anywhere close to them this season, however.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Yeah, fair enough.

I don't think we'll be anywhere close to them this season, however.

I think we have a chance to be...but it all hangs on the pitching staff. The offense needs some depth, but on paper we have a good offense, comparable to last year, maybe better. Our strength on defense should still be there, and might well be even stronger since the 3b black hole isn't there, on paper. The pitching staff last year was the weakness. Middle of the league starters, middle of the league relievers. Adding in Danks, having guys who are stretched out, and having guys who are no longer rookies...those could be the things that make up the ground. OTOH, if Sale and Quintana run into the Verducci effect, then we have no chance.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
At some point, you just have to try to get the 9 best players on the field that you can, balance be damned.

Yep, wite convinced me early on in the offseason after he brought up the 05 team only having 2 Lh bats that it's not THAT big a problem to have.

I think Hahn is either gonna get really creative or do nothing at all(sans some bench guys). Either case I'm fine with that.