Ryan Freel commits suicide

Heads22

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 02:55 AM)
No disrespect intended, but suicide is a very selfish act.

and it's not usually done by someone who is in a stable state of mind... you're not thinking rationally in that moment. selfish or not doesn't really play into it.

more evidence that this country is sorely lacking in mental health care.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
He also had logged 3 concussions on record that they know of while playing baseball.

The thousands of subconcussions that contact sport players experience are normally going to be a larger driver in CTE than concussions.

Freel displayed symptoms of schizophrenia (http://deadspin.com/193311/ryan-freels-little-friend) and probably was comorbid with who knows what.

Sad but not really surprising.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
No disrespect intended, but suicide is a very selfish act.

This is the dumbest s*** people say when suicides happen. I've had several people close to me do it & it's never about "me," it's the product of a deep depression where generally one person feels useless/worthless to those around him who care. You can't ration with people who are that down on themselves. Thinking the world is better off without you because you constantly bring others down... is that really so selfish?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
This is the dumbest s*** people say when suicides happen. I've had several people close to me do it & it's never about "me," it's the product of a deep depression where generally one person feels useless/worthless to those around him who care. You can't ration with people who are that down on themselves. Thinking the world is better off without you because you constantly bring others down... is that really so selfish?

Yeah telling people that its selfish only shows the lack of understanding.

When I almost offed myself last year it was because I felt like I was a useless burden to everyone. Fortunately, I was able to hang in the balance long enough for my friends to help me. It wasn't because I was selfish and just wanted to end it. I didn't. I thought it was what was best for everyone else.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
Exactly. I'm battling through some deep depression myself but I know its temporary and when I kick it I'll be that much more happy knowing where I came from.

Yeah I went through that too & it sucks the big fat hard one. But the good thing about depression & going downhill fast is that once you reverse it, the good stuff gets great fast, and everything snowballs into awesomeness. If I could give a lil advice I'd say look for some sort of personal victory, however small or large. For me it was quitting smoking. That controlled a big part of my life & I felt like I'd never get away from it (I didn't want to anyway) but it's pretty amazing how one good thing leads to another 20 good things in short order. Find something that bothers you/controls you/'etc and kick its ass, then take the confidence gained and run with it.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
I'll only say in reply to the 'dumbest s***' comments that I have seen what suicide does to those left behind. I stand by it.

So have I. It can shatter lives in every way, emotionally, financially, break families apart, etc. But that doesn't mean that people afflicted with mental disorders are selfish. Nobody wants to go through every day life feeling like a pile of dog crap. The best analogy I can make to people who get that bad is it's like being colorblind. Ten people can look at the same object and see it for the color it actually is, but then someone else looks at the same object and interprets it very differently, and can't really help it. You see yourself & the world in a different way than what others can understand, you feel like an outcast, and you can't just "change" out of nowhere, because it's a multi-step process where you don't know where to step first even should you muster the courage to do so. The mind is a crazy thing & when things go bad it creates this whole web that encourages bad decisions and then seeks to reward them chemically. Falling into a s***hole isn't selfish, nor is it selfish to lack the strength/desire to try to pull yourself out of one. I'm just giving you the straight talk here homey.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 02:27 AM)
When I almost offed myself last year it was because I felt like I was a useless burden to everyone. Fortunately, I was able to hang in the balance long enough for my friends to help me. It wasn't because I was selfish and just wanted to end it. I didn't. I thought it was what was best for everyone else.

Right. And the fact that you didn't means that today the world is a much better place for yourself & many other people. What would SoxTalk be without Quinarvy? Nothing but a worthless, despicable hellhole full of AJ & Mark haters. But because you're here it's just another internet discussion forum full of AJ & Mark haters.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 02:36 AM)
Awful. Sad for his family and friends. Unfortunate that he couldn't overcome whatever it was that was eating at him. It's a topic that probably conjures up immovable opinions, but I wasn't walking in his shoes, nor was anyone else- No one should be condemning him.

http://hcgchicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/cookie.jpg

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
I'll only say in reply to the 'dumbest s***' comments that I have seen what suicide does to those left behind. I stand by it.

The argument is probably more about the word choice than what you meant. I'm not certain it is fair to label someone's motivation or actions based on how it affects other people. Certainly a suicide hurts the people around them and seemingly places the feelings of the person killing themselves above that of the people they leave behind. But as mentioned above, if the person committing suicide truly feels everyone would be better off without them, they are not feeling selfish when they commit the act.

Here's an example. A person with a medical condition that requires round the clock care. The family member that provides that care loves the person and is willing to continue forever if necessary. It gives their life a sense of purpose and meaning. To the person needing the care, they may see dying as giving the caregiver life. Freeing them from the responsibility and a chance to "go out and live". After the person dies, the caregiver is crushed, believing they did not do enough for the person. Depending on point of view, this was either a terribly selfish act, or wonderfully altruistic. I can see both as being right.

Picking an example that would be more in line with Yasny's comment, someone kills themselves because their wife leaves him. They want the survivors to feel guilty. Or the jackasses who shoot up a school then kill themselves.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Didn't know there were so many mental health experts on soxtalk...

There is more knowledge on the subject in recent history and while I doubt anyone is an expert on the subject you can be knowledgeable about the subject, being a Social Work major I have done some research on it but I wouldn't classify myself as an expert.

Yeah I went through that too & it sucks the big fat hard one. But the good thing about depression & going downhill fast is that once you reverse it, the good stuff gets great fast, and everything snowballs into awesomeness. If I could give a lil advice I'd say look for some sort of personal victory, however small or large. For me it was quitting smoking. That controlled a big part of my life & I felt like I'd never get away from it (I didn't want to anyway) but it's pretty amazing how one good thing leads to another 20 good things in short order. Find something that bothers you/controls you/'etc and kick its ass, then take the confidence gained and run with it.

Ya man I'm workin on changing things around, I'm getting a swiss ball, some protein, and my p90x back from my brother tomorrow so I'm gonna get my health back on track and that will be ultra rewarding to me. My weight has been ridiculous this year, I was at 265 back in Feb and then I got in this funk and now I'm back up to ...gulp...315...and that was a week ago, I'm sure with the holidays Ill be up to 320 before I start workin out again. That's just the tip of the iceberg though when it comes to why I'm so down, but I know I have the power to change it all and I feel good about 2013 being the year I get it all together.

Smoking is another thing I'm trying to get rid of because like you said it controls me. My problem is I don't have a car anymore and the few people that are down to pick me up all smoke. I tried quitting awhile ago but I got 2 weeks in and just hated staying in the house and being alone so I just said f*** it...I still see that its holding me back though and it's something I need to do, at the very least until I find a job.

I know I control my depression, I know I can beat it.

I've read a couple of articles about how well he was perceived by his team-mates,g ave back to the community, and was a loving family man. It gives me the impression that he was a very nice guy. All in all he was still a human being with feelings for love, hate, etc. and is no longer here with us. Prayers go out to his family as I'm sure these holidays will be difficult.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
Ya man I'm workin on changing things around, I'm getting a swiss ball, some protein, and my p90x back from my brother tomorrow so I'm gonna get my health back on track and that will be ultra rewarding to me. My weight has been ridiculous this year, I was at 265 back in Feb and then I got in this funk and now I'm back up to ...gulp...315...and that was a week ago, I'm sure with the holidays Ill be up to 320 before I start workin out again. That's just the tip of the iceberg though when it comes to why I'm so down, but I know I have the power to change it all and I feel good about 2013 being the year I get it all together.

Smoking is another thing I'm trying to get rid of because like you said it controls me. My problem is I don't have a car anymore and the few people that are down to pick me up all smoke. I tried quitting awhile ago but I got 2 weeks in and just hated staying in the house and being alone so I just said f*** it...I still see that its holding me back though and it's something I need to do, at the very least until I find a job.

I know I control my depression, I know I can beat it.

I've never had depression issues so I don't know what you're going through but I have been over weight before and it's amazing what getting in shape will do for you mentally. So rewarding.